Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2024 10:29:50 PM EDT
Are there any new production M1 Carbines reliable enough for home defense?  TIA!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have so wondered the same. The local gun shop had an Auto Ordnance. I passed on it I was concerned about reliability.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: myitinaw] [#2]
Originally Posted By ISEEYOU2:
Are there any new production M1 Carbines reliable enough for home defense?  TIA!
View Quote

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine.aspx

Fulton Armory would fall in to that category.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#3]
Here's my assessment of new production Carbines

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/So-You-Want-to-Buy-a-M1-Carbine/6-546534/

Fulton is the only new production M1 Carbine I would trust.

I have 1 set up as home defense/short-term SHTF work

Also use it like this

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
I have so wondered the same. The local gun shop had an Auto Ordnance. I passed on it I was concerned about reliability.
View Quote

After my expensive lesson with an auto ornament Thompson, I wouldn't buy a can opener from the Moonies (Google owners of you don't know)

I'm sure the Fulton's are fine, my m1a scout they made was awesome (and really loud)

But why oh why would anybody pay double for one of those when you can have a usgi that will run decades after you die .. unless your crotch fruit sells it at a gun buyback and it goes to meet crunchy
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CavVet:

After my expensive lesson with an auto ornament Thompson, I wouldn't buy a can opener from the Moonies (Google owners of you don't know)

I'm sure the Fulton's are fine, my m1a scout they made was awesome (and really loud)

But why oh why would anybody pay double for one of those when you can have a usgi that will run decades after you die .. unless your crotch fruit sells it at a gun buyback and it goes to meet crunchy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixgun357:

Some people might not want to use a "collectors" weapon for home defense. Also, USGI Carbines might need service that a owner would need a gunsmith to do. Problem in 2024 is fewer gunsmiths know the in's and outs of them.

Fultons can be found on Gunbroker from time to time, I got 1 like that and recently saw 1 go for the same price I paid.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:

Some people might not want to use a "collectors" weapon for home defense. Also, USGI Carbines might need service that a owner would need a gunsmith to do. Problem in 2024 is fewer gunsmiths know the in's and outs of them.

Fultons can be found on Gunbroker from time to time, I got 1 like that and recently saw 1 go for the same price I paid.
View Quote

They made over 6 million of them.

They are half the price of the Fulton's.

Whatever works for you, works for you.

I'll use my inland for all things gun if needed. The only sentimental value it has is that I bought it for my father in law to shoot, who carried one in Korea. That made my daughter want to shoot it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#7]

I'll use my inland for all things gun if needed. The only sentimental value it has is that I bought it for my father in law to shoot, who carried one in Korea. That made my daughter want to shoot it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3455/1000016199_jpg-3137561.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3455/1000016199_jpg-3137561.JPG

6 million made, but how many are left 2024? There were a estimated 1 million lost in Vietnam alone.

I would have no problem using one of my USGI Carbines for home defense, but that's me. I had the extra money to buy the Fulton so I did.

Some people like buying something that they know will be reliable and not need work. I myself have owned 22 Carbines over the years and currently have 12. 1/2 are safe queen's because I don't want to destroy their value. Now if SHTF they can be used as needed and I will trust them 100%.

Remember, the OP asked about new production Carbines. I answered based on my experience with them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top