Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 12:00:43 AM EDT
Picked up a brand new PTR9KT last night, put a brace and Omega 9K tri lug suppressor on it.  Found out quickly today at the range that the mags won’t stay engaged. I brought assort steel mags and all have an issue staying in the gun under recoil. If you push the mag forward, you get get the mag catch to disengage and the mag falls out, hold it back and the gun runs.  The same exact metal mags work 100% in my SP10 full size MP5

It came with ETS mags (they seem like junk) and my AC Unity mags don’t fit (I know I can fit them to the gun but they already fit perfectly in my SP10).

With the PTR....send it back for warranty?  Are they known to be good at taking care of issues?  I can see them telling me to use the ETS mags, but it should work with all steel mags
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand their warranty service is very good. It’s just a bitch that you have to send it back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it run with German magazines? I'd try that before sending it back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Your first stop should be calling PTR. Their customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it run with German magazines? I'd try that before sending it back.
View Quote

^^^THIS^^^
German magazines are the most dimensionally consistent, and can practically be used as a “quality gauge” for function and magazine fit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

^^^THIS^^^
German magazines are the most dimensionally consistent, and can practically be used as a “quality gauge” for function and magazine fit.
View Quote

I don’t have any German mags, I tried ETS and some American Tactical (Korean steel) mags and all could be unlatched and pulled out by pushing the mag forward.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have another MP5 swap the mag catches and see if that remedies the problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d buy or borrow a German HK factory mag and try that before sending the gun back to PTR. The German HK factory mag is the standard PTR built the gun around.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an Omega start dropping mags.  I thought the mag catch was crap, so I ordered on from RTG made by POF.  Turned out it looked home made, and worse than the Omega mag catch, but I swapped the magazine catch spring and that solved my problem... so if the mag catch otherwise looks OK, it's cheap to try swapping magazine springs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 of the PTR 9mms as well as some POFs.

The PTR magwells were tight on both of mine.  And the plastic mags, both ETC and AC unity seem oversized.  They plastic mags barely fit in the POF guns and they have to be forced in the PTR ones.  Metal mags are nice and snug in the PTR but dont need to be forced in.

I have had to warranty a brand new PTR 32P.  They were responsive, sent out an RMA tag, and got it fixed pretty quick.  If your gun wont run in-spec metal mags, I'd hit them up and give them a chance to make it right.  You got a lifetime warranty, so may as well use it if you need it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had an Omega start dropping mags.  I thought the mag catch was crap, so I ordered on from RTG made by POF.  Turned out it looked home made, and worse than the Omega mag catch, but I swapped the magazine catch spring and that solved my problem... so if the mag catch otherwise looks OK, it's cheap to try swapping magazine springs.
View Quote

Great idea, in messing around with it it seems that the magazine catch is a little bit sticky, if I put outside pressure pushing in on it to further engage it, then it seems to lock in the mag more securely.  Weak spring or an out of spec mag catch rubbing on the mag catch cut out, not sure?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to take the whole mag catch out to swap springs, and with the other parts out, you'll be able to feel if it's dragging.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PTRs will seem like a hell of deal now that the Century AP5 pistols are rolling out . HG6034N

View Quote

Is it MKE that's jacking up the price due to market conditions in the US, or is it Century? I'm pretty sure it's still costing MKE the same to make them
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PTRs will seem like a hell of deal now that the Century AP5 pistols are rolling out . HG6034N

View Quote
They're also a hell of a gamble.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's the release of those, and their price, that drove me to looking into buying a PTR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My PTR9KT is still at PTR getting this mag catch issue fixed, but they paid for shipping.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They're also a hell of a gamble.
View Quote

If you're saying they're a gamble because it's Century, is Century doing any any building or modification to the guns or are they just importing them?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:43:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I got it back from PTR, took over a month but all mags lock in securely.

Get this....I included the 2 ETS mags in the factory case, it was only returned with 1!  WTF?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#19]
They did you a favor.  Those mags suck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Get this....I included the 2 ETS mags in the factory case, it was only returned with 1!  WTF?
View Quote

Maybe they threw it away, email them and they will probably send a better one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope you thanked them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL at these comments, I've never used the ETS mags, but yes they look very cheap.  I guess I won't worry about it, but still, buy a brand new $1,800 gun, gun has stupid QC issues, have to wait 1 month for them to "repair" it and then they steal one of the mags that belongs to me, puts a very bad taste in my mouth.

Whats weird is that I now cannot install my Omega 9K suppressor with 3 lug adapter on the PTR9, it won't go on, it was tight before, but now cannot be mounted.  The gun is the same serial number, I doubt they did anything with the barrel or tri-lug.  So weird.  I took apart the adaptor and suppressor and it has the correct 3 lug spring.  Not sure what to try next?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Just send it back to South Carolina again.  I’ll give you an updated address though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top