Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 1:46:45 PM EDT
Just picked up my Obsidian9 yesterday (Paid for April 25th 2021.....). Took it apart at home and the baffle stack came out as one piece. When I tried to get it apart with my hands I couldnt. Read the manual and it stated I may need to pry it apart. Grabbed a screwdriver but even then, the baffles were really stuck together. I did get the first one off but damn.

For new Obsidian9 owners, were your baffles really stuck together? Did it loosen up over time or is that just how it is. I get they need to be indexed to each other but shit, these damn things are really locked to each other.

Shameless pic

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Mines the same way. To this day there are 4 or 5 baffles I have never been able to pop apart.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Both my Obsidian 9’s, 45, Oculus and Mustang are all the same way.  I actually like it that way because it keeps the crud from building up inside the tubes which makes cleaning easier.  I can’t same the same for my DA Mask.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Rugged tomorrow, tell them what you've done, ask what their solution is.
View Quote
May have to do that. I mean I'm ok to grab the prybar and go all gorilla on it but in my mind the baffles shouldnt be THAT tightly seated together. I may see what they say on it.... Haha, I guess it speaks to their precision manufacturing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve gotten them all apart, but they are tight.  Given that they provide instructions in the manual to pry them apart, this seems normal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't bother calling them OP. Like others have said, it is fine and actually preferred for reasons stated above
Go out and shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up my Obsidian 9 a few weeks ago. Mine are the same way. They're TIGHT!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My Oculus is super tight like that.

I use a chopstick to separate baffles. It's handy, free with my takeout, and won't damage the baffles vs a screwdriver.

My Spectre II was also tight like that but unlike my Oculus it was because a few of the baffles were out-of-round. Oval shaped in fact. They wouldn't go back together at all. In fact, some of them were peened which I assume was from forcing the stack together at the factory. That can had to go back to SilencerCo to have the stack replaced.

As long as the baffles in your Obsidian are all round I'd say what you're experiencing is normal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My Obsidian was like that, tight as hell.
Still is, but might have loosened up a bit, that or I am more willing to use force to disassemble it now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My obsidian is still tight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I brought mine home day before yesterday. I got the main stack completely apart and gave up on the short stack after getting it to three pieces
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
My Obsidian baffles were tight too. I used a razor blade to make a larger gap. I then used feeler gauges, gradually working around the seam from thinnest to thickest until they separated. Worked like a charm and no damage.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Thunderbeast 22TD comes with a nifty tool for snapping the baffles apart. Was really disappointed to find the Mustang baffles were just a bit too large to fit in said tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top