Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2018 4:06:17 PM EDT
I bought two NFA items and will be picking them up over Christmas from the FFL.  I will then move back overseas for another year or so.

Questions:

Where do I have to legally keep these items?
-Leave them with my parents or close friend and list them as a Responsible Person (I bought the single shot trust from Silencer Shop)

What paper work do I need to submit to the ATF to make this legal if it is even possible?

What determines a responsible person and what paperwork does that require for me to submit and for them to maintain on person?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought two NFA items and will be picking them up over Christmas from the FFL.  I will then move back overseas for another year or so.

Questions:

Where do I have to legally keep these items?
-Leave them with my parents or close friend and list them as a Responsible Person (I bought the single shot trust from Silencer Shop)

What paper work do I need to submit to the ATF to make this legal if it is even possible?

What determines a responsible person and what paperwork does that require for me to submit and for them to maintain on person?

Thanks
View Quote
Without doing anything paperwork-related, you can lock them up in a hard case to which only you have the key or combination, and they can then be stored locked up that way by anyone you trust to keep them safe for you.

If some of the items are SBRs, you can just remove the short barrels and/or reconfigure them with >16" barrels and leave them with friends or family as simple Title 1 firearms.

The trust questions I'll have to leave for others.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a safe and bolt it to the floor of YOUR residence.  Secure said NFA items inside your safe.  You’re good to go after that.

ETA:
There’s no legal requirement to store your NFA items in a safe. It’s just an added measure to protect your family, friends, roommates, etc from encountering any “possession/custodial” issues.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's hoping you have a trust. Simply add the person(s) as a trustee and you're all set. Contact your attorney and they should add the individual(s) to the schedule.

If the storage address changes you should update the ATF with a Form 20. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw in a copy of your orders too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have separate trusts for each item. Not ideal but still better than nothing. I do not have a residence, that is the issue.

Trust info:

Silencer Shop Trust

So my main question is to have my friend who I will

To sidestep this scenario, our Single Shot Trust provides you the ability to add trustees without anyone having to be fingerprinted or be listed on the trust.

The issue is I pick up my suppressors over Christmas this year while home on leave.  I then travel back overseas for 18 months to finish my tour.  I would like to have my friend keep both NFA items in his safe and be able to legally use them if he would like.

What do I need to complete and what documents does he need to ensure we are legal?  Do i need to submit any paperwork to the ATF as far as storage location.  The address the suppressors are registered to, is my property w/o an occupants on the property. This is where I lived before and will return to after my tour.  I just posted this in the Industry Forum under Silencer shop, since this relates directly to their trust, I assume they will have the best answer for me.  I will post with their response for other folks using these trusts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you just need to add your friend as a Co-Trustee. Does the SS Trust not have a provision to add a Co-Trustee?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was in the Army a friend of mine bought a safe and put it in his parents basement.  As he was the only one who had the combination to the safe, his NFA items were still legally still in "his" possession, the same as storing an NFA item is a safe deposit box in a bank.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
On my trust I simply fill out a single page form to add a new responsible person with a duration that they will be on the trust, get it notarized, then go on about our business. Nothing is required to be sent to the ATF or the state, and the lawyer isn't involved in any way.

As long as your friend, or family member, isn't a prohibited person, or doesn't live in a restricted state where the NFA items are deemed illegal, the process of adding them should not be more difficult than what I described above. SilencerShop should have provided instructions on how to add trustees as that is the whole point of using the "Single Shot" trust.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On my trust I simply fill out a single page form to add a new responsible person with a duration that they will be on the trust, get it notarized, then go on about our business. Nothing is required to be sent to the ATF or the state, and the lawyer isn't involved in any way.

As long as your friend, or family member, isn't a prohibited person, or doesn't live in a restricted state where the NFA items are deemed illegal, the process of adding them should not be more difficult than what I described above. SilencerShop should have provided instructions on how to add trustees as that is the whole point of using the "Single Shot" trust.
View Quote
Fantastic... this is what I am looking for.  I am wondering if there is a specific form or template to use to do this.  Yes, I emailed Silencer Shop today, to see what advise/documents they have.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Fantastic... this is what I am looking for.  I am wondering if there is a specific form or template to use to do this.  Yes, I emailed Silencer Shop today, to see what advise/documents they have.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Any word from SilencerShop? The website clearly states trustees can be added.

Link to SilencerShop Single Shot Trust

"Moreover, no notary is required, only your fingerprint data and photo are needed, trustees may be added once ATF approval is received, and electronically signing your Form 4 via DocuSign completes this streamlined process.  You don't have to track down a bunch of trustees, get them all to the notary, and scan everything back in to submit back to us."
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks RipGear. I found the  silencer shop amendment forms buried in my email.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Just as another option, safe deposit boxes work well too. Obviously you need to be discreet about things but I've walked in/out with briefcases or soft packs and nobody notices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top