Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2023 1:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usncorpsman1]
My brother was offered this limited edition Marlin 30/30 for $300 and asked if it was a good deal. I told him t get it or I would. Anyway, the gun has some surface rust and the lever is hard to operate, but should clean up nicely. Here are some before pics. I’ll post other pics when I am done working on it. The Tasco and rings are going in the trasco…lol.

Before

After….cleaned up nicely and well worth the $300 he paid.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a gun that looked way worse than yours. I used a product called blue magic. It removed the rust leaving a really nice clean finish. No damage to the existing blueing. You would never know it was the same gun.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. What process did you use? I was given an old marlin 336 that is in rough shape. Not sure what to do with it. I’ve never messed with refinishing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ebbtide:
Looks great. What process did you use? I was given an old marlin 336 that is in rough shape. Not sure what to do with it. I’ve never messed with refinishing.
View Quote

0000 steel wool and CLP for the metal. Be sure to go front to back and not in a circular motion. Linseed oil works great on the stock.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I may dive into it soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tacklenut:
I bought a gun that looked way worse than yours. I used a product called blue magic. It removed the rust leaving a really nice clean finish. No damage to the existing blueing. You would never know it was the same gun.

View Quote

@tacklenut
Have a link to this blue magic?
Have a couple older 22s that need some rust removed

OP
Very nicely done on the restoration
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

@tacklenut

OP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig24680:
Originally Posted By tacklenut:

@tacklenut

OP

I don’t have a link. I happened on it a local gun shop but have seen it other places.

I’ve moved recently and my stuff is all packed away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tacklenut] [#8]
My bad. It’s called blue wonder

https://www.bluewonderguncare.com/blogs/products/blue-wonder-%E2%84%A2-gun-cleaner-removes-rust-without-affecting-the-bluing

Posting from my phone. Can’t make the link hit for some reason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top