Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2018 7:49:48 PM EDT
I've been eager to see more about the new Auto Breech and Lee finally seems to be shipping. I was interested in getting one as a back-up. Something progressive I can use for the stuff I load but don't shoot a ton of.

Now, after seeing that the press has no automatic primer system, my interest has dropped to about zero. I have no real desire to deftly pick up and place each primer in the arm. And I've used the Safety Prime (or tried to use) on my Turret. It is less than ideal.

The only way I can see the Auto Breech having much value is if I process and then prime off press. That may be what Lee expects most users to do. I guess that's not the worst thing in the world but I still think a lack of a real primer system is a deal killer.

Anyone else agree? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

I'd like to add that I generally like Lee stuff. I use Lee dies for pretty much all my pistols and some of my rifles. The Turret Press is a handy and uncomplicated machine that works well for most applications. The Auto Drum is a reliable and accurate dispenser. Heck. I even like the cheap little Lee balance beam powder scale.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure. So why make a progressive press that has a single primer arm that has to be individually fed? And have you used the Safety Prime? I fiddled with mine quite a bit--including as per the video linked above--but was never happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
<snip> this being a Lee thread, the topic is Lee equipment.

You want to espouse the virtues of another make of press, start your own thread.

Part of this being a Technical Forum is that we don't talk down to others about their choice of equipment.

dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Stolen from Titan Reloading's Facebook page:

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWBdYJuQ2E

That guys is still getting used to the manual primer deal.  He missed one just in demonstration.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm with you OP.  I can't imagine buying a progressive that requires manually priming.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has a manual priming system,
https://leeprecision.com/safety-primer-feed-small-and-large.html

As for the way the system works, you use the safety primer to load a primer into the cup isntead.

Hence will work like this below, but on the on the auto breach press instead.  
And yes, you have to push the pacman every top of stroke to load a primer into the primer ram cup each time, so it not like the pro or loadmaster system that will auto load the primer in the primer ram on it's own.
https://youtu.be/YwqOpknjsZI
View Quote
Wait, LEE has a priming system that works? Why don't they use it with all of their presses. I live my turret, except for the safety prime. I've gotten to the point I don't even use it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait, LEE has a priming system that works? Why don't they use it with all of their presses. I live my turret, except for the safety prime. I've gotten to the point I don't even use it.
View Quote
When I load on my Turret I'll either prime manually (if I'm only loading a small batch I'll drop them into the seater one at a time) or size/deprime first and then prime off the press.

I bet most owners do something similar and I'm sure the bad Safety Prime experiences far outnumber the good.

Heck, they'd have been better off making the Auto Breech run on APS strips.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I load on my Turret I'll either prime manually (if I'm only loading a small batch I'll drop them into the seater one at a time) or size/deprime first and then prime off the press.

I bet most owners do something similar and I'm sure the bad Safety Prime experiences far outnumber the good.

Heck, they'd have been better off making the Auto Breech run on APS strips.
View Quote
My safety prime works.  I dont get how anyone can mess it up?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Melvin

I don’t have the press you bought, but I do run a safety prime (mine is old now, has a black primer flip tray on it, not a white one) on a Lee cast single.  The combo does an awesome job of seating primers to the correct depth and loading primers on the arm ..for me.  It’s one of my favorite features of the press.

Make sure your primer arm is aligned with the safety drop/pez dispenser if yours isn’t working would be about the only thing of potential value I can add (and make sure you have the correct large/small primer arm installed.

Hope you get yours dialed in...am with you, loading primers one by one by hand would be a show stopper/no way to go through life.

Video in action (not mine, not sure why this guy is holding brass cockeyed)
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
What an odd combination of features.

I'm also a little confused about the supposed advantage of breech lock over the turrets, which cost what, $12 a piece (yes, I'm sure the real answer is they make more per unit off bushings)? Seems a 4 hole pro 1000 would have been better, especially if they're just writing off on press priming anyway.

I assume they will address the shortcomings with add-on parts shortly after release.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Melvin

I don’t have the press you bought, but I do run a safety prime (mine is old now, has a black primer flip tray on it, not a white one) on a Lee cast single.  The combo does an awesome job of seating primers to the correct depth and loading primers on the arm ..for me.  It’s one of my favorite features of the press.

Make sure your primer arm is aligned with the safety drop/pez dispenser if yours isn’t working would be about the only thing of potential value I can add (and make sure you have the correct large/small primer arm installed.

Hope you get yours dialed in...am with you, loading primers one by one by hand would be a show stopper/no way to go through life.

View Quote
Just to clarify; I do not have one of these new Auto Breech presses.  My experience with the Safety Prime comes from using one on a Turret Press.

Also, by most accounts, the old Safety Prime with the round tray works better than the new style with the folding tray.  Mine is the new style with the folding tray.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just to clarify; I do not have one of these new Auto Breech presses.  My experience with the Safety Prime comes from using one on a Turret Press.

Also, by most accounts, the old Safety Prime with the round tray works better than the new style with the folding tray.  Mine is the new style with the folding tray.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Melvin

Is it the feeding giving you problems or jamming at the ram area? I have the round tray versions for my turret.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it the feeding giving you problems or jamming at the ram area? I have the round tray versions for my turret.
View Quote
The general consensus is the old version works way better than the new one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Lee Breech Lock Pro First Impressions
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been very successful with the Safety Prime system on my Classic Cast Turret Press. This process looks very similar to my current process. I just expect to be about 4 times faster than the turret press which should work out to be about 800 rounds per hour.

I'm hoping the unit I pre-ordered arrives soon. I want to use it to bulk load 9mm and 45 ACP, I'll do my low volume calibers on the turret press.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I see a lot of people slamming the Lee Safety Prime System, and although I don't use it for really high volume work (I have an XL650 for that), I find that it works just fine and have no problems with it.

There are a few YT videos (if they have not been taken down) that show how to adjust and tune the Safety Prime.

I am not saying it is as convenient as the XL650 system, but it is functional for sure.

I agree that it is not totally automated, but on my XL650, I do not have a bullet feeder, so I am still manually placing the bullets on the charged cases, at least the new Lee unit has an automated bullet feeder option that is fairly reasonably priced. I could trade the bullet loading for the Safety Prime and be OK.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tray shape is the only difference in the old and new versions unless you go back about 10 years.  The bugs have pretty much been worked out of the Load Master and Pro 1000.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...at least the new Lee unit has an automated bullet feeder option that is fairly reasonably priced. I could trade the bullet loading for the Safety Prime and be OK.
View Quote
Have you used the Lee bullet feeder?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...at least the new Lee unit has an automated bullet feeder option that is fairly reasonably priced. I could trade the bullet loading for the Safety Prime and be OK.
^^This^^
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
this being a Lee thread, the topic is Lee equipment.

You want to espouse the virtues of another make of press, start your own thread.

Part of this being a Technical Forum is that we don't talk down to others about their choice of equipment.

dryflash3
View Quote
That was absolutely not my intention and my words were misunderstood.

Back on topic, I hope that the free market responds and gives us a better priming solution for this as a $200-ish progressive press would be good for the shooting community period.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope that the free market responds and gives us a better priming solution for this as a $200-ish progressive press would be good for the shooting community period.
View Quote
I agree.

When I first caught wind of this new press I had visions of it being some sort of offshoot or update of the Pro1000.  Basically a Pro but with four die stations and a longer stroke to allow for more rifle cartridges.  Would a Pro1000 that can be used to load 308 not be welcomed?

Lee might still have such a press in the works.  I hope they do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Best price I've seen so far.  But not currently in stock:

https://www.natchezss.com/lee-auto-breech-lock-pro-progressive-press.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sold as a progressive press, but as the world fastest single stage press instead.

Go to the third video on this page if you don't believe me,

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html
View Quote
Why did I click on this thread! Must resist the urge to spend money..............Dammit, take my money!
Seriously, thanks for posting link. Definitely has my interest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I sent LEE Customer Service an email late last week asking them why they chose to use a manually-fed (or manually operated) primer system on this new press.  I just got the reply a few minutes ago:

Thank you for your feed back. While we term the new press as a progressive, it's intended market is for all levels of reloaders, and can be modified to the user's preference.  It can be used as a single stage, and later on down the road, should the user want to increase their production, they are able to using the same press in a more progressive manner, depending on what accessories they are comfortable with.  Because so many people have an issue with primer feeding on the progressive presses, we decided to use the single stage press feeder.

Thank You,

Laine
Customer Service
Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
fax: 262-673-9273
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
That bad, eh? No, I have never used it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I know one loader who sizes on a single stage, hand primes/bench primes........Then does the rest on a Hornady LnL AP.....and is happy as a clam!

Knowing him he'll probably buy a couple of these new Lees as just what the doctor ordered, and set them up for different calibers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh that explains that then.  I too have the old round version which works fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#33]
In exchanging a few emails with one of Lee's customer service employees, I learn that there's a new and improved Safety Prime now.  This has been available since July of 2017 and can be distinguished from previous models by grey trough and triggers sections.

Mine is a fairly recent purchase but it isn't this new gray system.  I'll have to send it back to Lee and have it exchanged for the latest version.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I am interested in this press. It may finally get me off of my single stage that I have used for the past 10yrs. Not that I won't use the single any more, but it will be used for precision rifle only.

I don't shoot enough volume to justify a true progressive press.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bought one.  I have a Hornady progressive with case feeder, but once it's configured, I hate changing calibers.  I think I'll just leave it as my .223 station and use this for some of the pistol calibers.  I tend to prime off press anyway, so the primer feed doesn't bother me.  Hand priming just has a better feel for me.  We'll see how it goes!  If it works well, they are cheap enough to set up one each for a few different calibers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just bought one.  I have a Hornady progressive with case feeder, but once it's configured, I hate change calibers.  I think I'll just leave it as my .223 station and use this for some of the pistol calibers.  I tend to prime off press anyway, so the primer feed doesn't bother me.  Hand priming just has a better feel for me.  We'll see how it goes!  If it works well, they are cheap enough to set up one each for a few different calibers.
View Quote
I have a Hornady and also prime off press, depending. Loading 38 Special or 44 Special is fine since I'm not dealing with crimped primer pockets. Processed rifle brass will normally get primed off press. Even with the pockets swaged it seems like I'm always finding a few loaded rounds with smashed, upside down or missing primers.

Priming off press is a hassle but so is dealing with a few turds out of each batch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
That's one of the main reasons I prime off press.  Makes it easier to feel how I did swaging the pockets and no dealing with mashed up primers.  I can feel it before it happens.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I got one haven't taken it out of the box yet. At the very least it will speed up resizing .223.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Short video if it in action.

Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Demonstration
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I just saw this I have been loading for years on a single stage lee everything I shoot except 30-06 and 22lr. I load thousands and thousands of 9mm and just started looking for something like this! I want something like this that I don't have to pull the handle 400 times to produce 100 rds.... but still have the ability to go slow and make sure everything is working right. I use the old round lee safety prime system on my single stage and love it, I would actually prefer that the press have that system because I have seen lots of trouble out of automatic primer feeds on vids and forums. This thing really has my intrest
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just saw this I have been loading for years on a single stage lee everything I shoot except 30-06 and 22lr. I load thousands and thousands of 9mm and just started looking for something like this! I want something like this that I don't have to pull the handle 400 times to produce 100 rds.... but still have the ability to go slow and make sure everything is working right. I use the old round lee safety prime system on my single stage and love it, I would actually prefer that the press have that system because I have seen lots of trouble out of automatic primer feeds on vids and forums. This thing really has my intrest
View Quote
I've been reloading on a Classic Cast Turret-press. I don't mind when I'm only doing a hundred or so rounds, but it gets old after a while. I shoot a lot of 9mm and 45ACP so I ordered one with both of those shell plates. I also ordered the case feed and a new Safety Prime. I have the old black, round style on my turret press, but apparently the newest gray feed is what works best with this new press.

I'm hoping to really speed up production of 9mm and 45ACP so I don't get annoyed with reloading those calibers. I'll keep the turret press for low volume stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes when the press arrives.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine is out for delivery today.  FYI, Dan at Inline Fabrication already has mounts ready to accept this new press.  I just placed a big order since I'm setting up all new shop at the new house.  Time to get organized!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#44]
So what's the consensus among early adopters? Are you happy with this new press? How's the primer system working?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top