Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 12:16:54 PM EDT
https://www.teaser.fnherstal.com/en

Site says it's going to be LE/MIL-only so that's a bit of a disappointment.

From the teaser, I see a textured polymer (grip?) like the 509, long continuous top rail, slim-looking receiver, belted 7.62 NATO ammo, triangle lightning cuts.  Can't tell if it has a mag adapter or just a nutsack holder.  Receiver is not a 249, Mk48, or 240 pattern.

Chaps my ass that it's a military product but still fun to look at.  Lightweight SCAR-derived belt-fed support weapon maybe?

ETA:
https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-evolys-556
Attachment Attached File

https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-evolys-762
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think any level of law enforcement has an operational need for a belt-fed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nuclear plant security has belt fed guns and at a few plants, the M134 is employed.

NASA employs belt fed guns.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think any level of law enforcement has an operational need for a belt-fed.
View Quote

Not until it's available for every day citizens should LE have them
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been wondering why they haven’t done an updated SAW and 240 using an aluminum receiver and steel inserts al-a the scar chassis yet. Would have to be able to shave a few pounds off and yet make it more serviceable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been wondering why they haven't done an updated SAW and 240 using an aluminum receiver and steel inserts al-a the scar chassis yet. Would have to be able to shave a few pounds off and yet make it more serviceable.
View Quote
Barrett did it about a decade ago with their 240LW and LWS.

Last year, they sold all the IP to Geissele.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/15/geissele-automatics-acquire-240lw-240-lws-design-from-barrett-mfg/
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]
SCAR PDW with a brace is more practical...but it is for LE only...
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Texas Highway Patrol Gunboat

DPS Marine Vessels Patrol Along the Rio Grande River
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on who’s house they’re going to
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it’s called the FN Evolys, available in both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO variants.

Couple pics and details here:
https://soldiersystems.net/2021/05/06/fn-evolys-the-new-ultralight-machine-gun-by-fn-herstal/

Butt ugly. But pretty neat lightweight belt-fed capability.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this their contender for the mil contract?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the LE they are marketing that to is more in Europe, where you have Gendarmerie type police who tie into defense in wartime.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the "LE" part is largely marketing speak targeted to the US given the way the NFA MG ban exemption is written.  I seriously doubt any LE is seriously looking at it right now.  Next time, I'll use "non-commercial" so we don't get hung up on the terminology.

I see a couple markets here:

1 - Euro military updates/modernizations.  Lots of militaries in Europe are reaching the end-of-life on their clapped-out Cold War-era guns.  Fertile ground for a brand-new offering.  HK has been kicking ass with the 416, but no one has really won the belt-fed space after the Minimi/249.

2 - US JSOC purchases.  They really like lightweight + firepower.

3 - This angle is a Hail Mary play, but I fully expect Biden's DoD to pull the plug on the wunderwaffe NGSW program.  I know Sig's designs are easily adapted to 7.62/5.56, the others I have no clue on, but this basically gives FN an off-the-shelf solution for current cartridges that might fill a follow-on lower-cost program to replace clapped out 249/240s if they want to push on the lightweight angle.

ETA Official FN links/images:

https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-evolys-556
Attachment Attached File

https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-evolys-762
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas Highway Patrol Gunboat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEKwij0W9QE

Yeah and they've never opened up with them before.  Border Patrol has way more guys in the rivers/lakes and they only have M4s
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah and they've never opened up with them before.  Border Patrol has way more guys in the rivers/lakes and they only have M4s
View Quote

That's not the criteria to justify your budgeting, you're no fun.

Now that OP has shown a pic my response is lol. That looks like something I'd build as a kid with Lego. Yea I know, function over form, but since we can't have it anyway it's OK to laugh at how ugly it is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My employer used to have an M2 machine gun, but not sure for what purpose.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I think border patrol and coast guard are about the only domestic operations I could see justifying belt fed machine guns.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only time I've seen police with belt feds has been in a maritime security role. As someone else noted "LE/MIL only" is just marketing speak. The majority of police officers in the US still don't have access to even semi auto patrol rifles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only time I've seen police with belt feds has been in a maritime security role. As someone else noted "LE/MIL only" is just marketing speak. The majority of police officers in the US still don't have access to even semi auto patrol rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But yet their agencies can get full autos, armored vehicles and other toys that are forbidden to the peasants.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But yet their agencies can get full autos, armored vehicles and other toys that are forbidden to the peasants.
View Quote
Normal citizens can get armored vehicles; the US government just won't offer its surplus armored vehicles to citizens.

The biggest discrepancy in sales "authorization" is with night vision and related targeting systems IMHO. There's no law preventing sales... The government just apparently instructs manufacturers to ensure certain models aren't publicly available until a certain amount of time has elapsed (obsolescence).

Anyway, this new FN belt-fed looks interesting. Would like to try it.
It's certainly lightweight!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nuclear plant security has belt fed guns and at a few plants, the M134 is employed.

NASA employs belt fed guns.

View Quote

I was at a nuclear facility on 9/11... They were well equipped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
No quick change barrel.  I don’t care what the barrel is made out of, this doesn’t seem smart after my experience with M249s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nuclear plant security, NASA, USSS and DSS are a few that readily come to mind.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No quick change barrel.  I don’t care what the barrel is made out of, this doesn’t seem smart after my experience with M249s.
View Quote

I suspect that for the LE/security market, a very short but overwhelming firepower application is what this is intended for, as opposed to true combat use, where the barrel changes are much more critical.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I too would think quick changeable barrels would be preferable, but Russia went with a fixed barrel on their PKP Pecheneg so there must be some data supporting an opposing viewpoint.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I too would think quick changeable barrels would be preferable, but Russia went with a fixed barrel on their PKP Pecheneg so there must be some data supporting an opposing viewpoint.
View Quote

Yeah, and the RPK has always had a fixed barrel.  If the doctrine is to not do a 200 round sustained dump, but shorter bursts as training usually dictates, then a fixed barrel might be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nuclear plant security, NASA, USSS and DSS are a few that readily come to mind.  YMMV.
View Quote

CBP's BORTAC and SRT, FBI HRT, CIA SPS, DOE SRT, USCP CERT to name some more.

Obviously the use of such weapons should be highly limited, but it kinda goes back to the whole idea of hoping for peace while preparing for war.

I would hope these guys have such tools in the armory in the event of a really bad day. Furthermore, I would argue something like an M249 doesn't make sense for them, while this would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top