Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2020 9:46:29 PM EDT
Steyr released a teaser video today, and I snagged a screenshot.

Looks to be a nice, improved side rail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a MSAR
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Also similar to the Thales F90:

Really how Steyr should have done it from the get go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice

Looks like it bolts into the existing holes where the old side rail was?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice

View Quote

There was a Facebook interview type video they put out in March or April, in it they showed this rail and if I remember right it mounts to the existing holes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice

View Quote

Yes, I zoomed in and tried to mess with the contrast, but thats what it looks like:

Thats great news, as the rail would be backwards compatible with existing AUG's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also similar to the Thales F90:

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/f90.jpg

Really how Steyr should have done it from the get go.
View Quote

Cant stand Lithgow. If only those bastards didn’t virtue signal as a cover and run away after finding out how much a pain it is to import into the USA.

Anyway back to the rail, not sure I will buy it but more room and accessories are a good thing. I’m still waiting to see what manticore is cooking up for the aug.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, I zoomed in and tried to mess with the contrast, but thats what it looks like:
View Quote

Can you zoom in even further?

Also, sold.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
“Enhance”
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Also, sold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, sold.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish Steyr would launch an AUG weight cutting program to find a pound to drop between the receiver, bolt carrier, rails, etc., while maintaining the center of gravity over the pistol grip. It could be the AUG-A4
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Enhance!
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish Steyr would launch an AUG weight cutting program to find a pound to drop between the receiver, bolt carrier, rails, etc., while maintaining the center of gravity over the pistol grip. It could be the AUG-A4
View Quote

Any weight saved is good but at least the aug balances well on the wrist compared to other pups. Light situation could use some help so this is welcomed. Wishe we would get some upgrades but steyr won’t do much until a contract asks for it
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really possible.

The Thales F90 uses a polymer receiver, fluted barrel, and gets rid of the QD barrel...and saves like 10oz.

Thales F90 16" = 7.17lbs
AUG A3 M1 High rail = 7.8lbs

I held the F90 at SHOT, didnt really make much difference.

The AUG is so well balanced that I dont mind the weight at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The joke here is there’s an identical side rail on the other side right above the charging handle.  

Anyway, very glad to see that Steyr USA seems to be planning on doing business again, we hope.

This new side rail isn’t helping me acquire a new Olive drab AUG stock though.  I need one, people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't stand the existing one, so I'm glad I bought before they "improve" the AUG again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The thing I want most for my AUG is a suppressor that mounts on the over-barrel threads without having to fuck with the muzzle device.  Or gas plug, but that doesn't seem possible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Not my cup o tea. It’s really only apropos to adding lights and lasers. I’d prefer to see a better mlok handguard option for lights and lasers. But it’s an add on accessory and more options are better than less.

And for goodness sake, why show it with that Chinesium turd of a US Optic LPVO? That just tarnishes credibility.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not really possible.

The Thales F90 uses a polymer receiver, fluted barrel, and gets rid of the QD barrel...and saves like 10oz.

Thales F90 16" = 7.17lbs
AUG A3 M1 High rail = 7.8lbs

I held the F90 at SHOT, didnt really make much difference.

The AUG is so well balanced that I dont mind the weight at all.
View Quote

Those weights are without optic right?
Yet somehow the AUG-A1 with built in optic was able to be 7.9lbs w/20" barrel, and 7.3lbs w/16" barrel

All of that fancy carbon fiber receiver, fluted barrel, removing things that make an AUG an AUG like the QD barrel and built-in VFG, and all Thales was able to do was get back down to where the original AUG was 40 years ago
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not my cup o tea. It’s really only apropos to adding lights and lasers. I’d prefer to see a better mlok handguard option for lights and lasers. But it’s an add on accessory and more options are better than less.

And for goodness sake, why show it with that Chinesium turd of a US Optic LPVO? That just tarnishes credibility.
View Quote

My attention was more focused on the MAK milmount. They’ve gotten a ton of use out of that mount(s) over the years.

The mlok suggestion would be a good selling option. At a minimum the picatinny version should continue to be split and have opening through it to allow routing of cables. My light setup is only possible because I can run the cables down the split center channel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Those weights are without optic right?
Yet somehow the AUG-A1 with built in optic was able to be 7.9lbs w/20" barrel, and 7.3lbs w/16" barrel

All of that fancy carbon fiber receiver, fluted barrel, removing things that make an AUG an AUG like the QD barrel and built-in VFG, and all Thales was able to do was get back down to where the original AUG was 40 years ago
View Quote

The railed A2 is even lighter by 3.25 ounces.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

enhance.png
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks too clunky.  No reason there needs to be a full length rail there.  Their factory rail that replaces the front grip is more than adequate for lights and grips.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish Pete Athens had gone ahead with his rail system for the A3M1. I’d like more real estate to hold onto that doesn’t get hot... I don’t see any point to mounting anything on the right side of the receiver personally. If anyone is working on a rail system I would definitely buy it provided it’s solid and the top rail is the same height as the corvus/ factory Steyr long rail...
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wish Pete Athens had gone ahead with his rail system for the A3M1. I’d like more real estate to hold onto that doesn’t get hot... I don’t see any point to mounting anything on the right side of the receiver personally. If anyone is working on a rail system I would definitely buy it provided it’s solid and the top rail is the same height as the corvus/ factory Steyr long rail...
View Quote

An MLOK version of this airsoft HG would be pretty sweet, especially if it could retain the use of the factory VFG in a non-folding way

https://www.popularairsoft.com/news/laylax-keymod-steyr-javelin-handguard

There's also this custom design from a guy in Europe:

In reality though, I think the AUG is really meant for a VFG.

Get a Corvus Rail + Shell deflector, and Pup Light flashlight mount, and its pretty much ideal.

The new side rail could be cool for a mini green/IR laser; trying to zero the factory angled rail is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a pup light and corvus rail and deflector currently. I liked Pete’s rail system because it attached to the barrel and was the correct height to allow BUIS with corvus or Steyr factory long rails. I’ve talked with the guy in Europe, I may eventually go that route but I hate the propriety accessory mounting system...
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#26]
That is absurdly bad.

I don't understand what Steyr is smoking.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

An MLOK version of this airsoft HG would be pretty sweet, especially if it could retain the use of the factory VFG in a non-folding way
https://www.popularairsoft.com/files/imagesmore/las_javelin_handguard_steyr_hc_03.jpg

https://www.popularairsoft.com/news/laylax-keymod-steyr-javelin-handguard

There's also this custom design from a guy in Europe:
https://scontent.flas1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51495305_956890997849957_5043673167634104320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=jNXoHChzY1UAX-s7RLd&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-2.fna&oh=4d0de52b2535cbbfc695624d54cffd62&oe=5FBF7FB2

In reality though, I think the AUG is really meant for a VFG.

Get a Corvus Rail + Shell deflector, and Pup Light flashlight mount, and its pretty much ideal.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23574&stc=1&d=1517799815

The new side rail could be cool for a mini green/IR laser; trying to zero the factory angled rail is a nightmare.
View Quote

That’s my next step right now. Well, after setting up Christmas lights!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#28]
@apydercomonkey
I don't think there are any more puplights! I was able to track down a guy selling his on BPF so now two of my AUGs are lit(matching surefire lights), thanks for the direction on that!

I just need to zero my crimson trace green on my a3m1 and I'll be good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I just use the tiny original rail for the light. Keeps it tucked up out of the way.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@apydercomonkey
I don't think there are any more puplights! I was able to track down a guy selling his on BPF so now two of my AUGs are lit(matching surefire lights), thanks for the direction on that!

View Quote

PupLight is still on ebay; I went into a panic when you said they were gone as I have more barrels to set up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-PuP-Light-Flashlight-Mount-for-Steyr-AUG-Microtech-MSAR-Rifles/252202390512
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just use the tiny original rail for the light. Keeps it tucked up out of the way.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32274/IMGA0471_JPG-1744600.JPG

View Quote

How do you activate it? Or do you turn on an leave on?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How do you activate it? Or do you turn on an leave on?
View Quote

Just reach up and click it on when I need it. I'm a lefty so it's pretty easy for me to activate on my side.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PupLight is still on ebay; I went into a panic when you said they were gone as I have more barrels to set up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-PuP-Light-Flashlight-Mount-for-Steyr-AUG-Microtech-MSAR-Rifles/252202390512
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@apydercomonkey

Sorry about that spydercomonkey.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#34]
This was shown on an AUG Facebook group I'm a member of. It may be the factory version (dude had also managed to snag the hitherto unobtainium A3 SF scope) or it may be a custom made version; owner was vague on the source of both.

Either way, it looks great, and hopefully we see this rail or a similar version get offered by Steyr or the aftermarket. Personally one with an inner groove for running wires through the length of the Pic rail would be an ideal design, but I'm not that picky.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This was shown on an AUG Facebook group I'm a member of. It may be the factory version (dude had also managed to snag the hitherto unobtainium A3 SF scope) or it may be a custom made version; owner was vague on the source of both.

Either way, it looks great, and hopefully we see this rail or a similar version get offered by Steyr or the aftermarket. Personally one with an inner groove for running wires through the length of the Pic rail would be an ideal design, but I'm not that picky.

https://i.ibb.co/9ZyfXPP/Steyr-AUG-Side-Rail-mystery-source.jpg
View Quote

Thats really cool if its not complete vapor wear---common steyr--how friggin long does it take to release a rail?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thats really cool it its not complete vapor wear---common steyr--how friggin ling does it take to release a rail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats really cool it its not complete vapor wear---common steyr--how friggin ling does it take to release a rail?

Its a giant turd bolted right to the side of an already ergonomically challenged rifle.

I don't understand the enthusiasm for this.

This is a zero effort product.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice to see someone got one of those optics. I tried everything possible to get one, had Steyr US reps try to get one, had Pete try to get me one, had European friends try to get one, even personally offered Steyr $3k for one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nice to see someone got one of those optics. I tried everything possible to get one, had Steyr US reps try to get one, had Pete try to get me one, had European friends try to get one, even personally offered Steyr $3k for one.
View Quote

The guy was cryptic, but said to follow the website/IG closely. Maybe we’ll see something materialize. A guy can dream anyway
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

@spydercomonkey

I don’t have Facebook

Does the guy’s name start with D?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Another pic of the railAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats dedication. I've always lusted after the A3SF scope as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@spydercomonkey

I don’t have Facebook

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@spydercomonkey

I don’t have Facebook

Sent you a PM as to not put personal info on the open net.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Good catch.

Steyr posted one a few days ago on their FB:

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

enhance.png

lol

Same here.  I am dying!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#45]
As long as this abortion is an option, not mandatory.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Any news on whether or not this is a thing? Garand Thumb posted a photo this morning of one on an AUG he has. I’d love to get my hands on one for better light placement while retaining the factory front end and foregrip.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Steyr USA is probably pushing for permission. Maybe in another decade. On a serious note with being 6k rifles behind I don’t think they will do much until they catch up. We were suppose to see new variants released this year, at least that was the word from steyr USA from a previous conversation with where are the guns your promised call with Ffl’s. both semi and bolt action. Never happened either.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Steyr USA is probably pushing for permission. Maybe in another decade. On a serious note with being 6k rifles behind I don’t think they will do much until they catch up. We were suppose to see new variants released this year, at least that was the word from steyr USA from a previous conversation with where are the guns your promised call with Ffl’s. both semi and bolt action. Never happened either.
View Quote

Garand thumb just posted a pic of an aug with the new side rail, Steyrusa, posted a story in Insta showing the new side rail on an AUG being placed on the rack at Cloud defense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Garand thumb just posted a pic of an aug with the new side rail,
View Quote

Looks great too, very nice setup:

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I spoke with someone from Steyr yesterday. They confirmed it’s a prototype and they’re itching to release it. Said it was supposed to be very soon then ran into a hiccup (I’m assuming related to the urgent CNC operator job posting they just posted). Hopefully we’ll see them shortly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top