Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2017 6:41:48 PM EDT
Just bought my first 10/22.   I have *several* ARs in .22LR including a 604-ish clone and SBRs.   No 10/22s until today.

I picked up the takedown model from Sportsman's Warehouse for $249 - seemed like a good deal.   I needed a threaded barrel for my suppressors so that was a plus.   I was not sure about having a takedown, but as I researched, it seemed like a good option - especially for swapping between vehicles on the farm.

I have a Magpul Backpacker stock already on the way... what should be next on my list?

My intended purpose beside farm use is as a first rifle for my 6-year old (who will have her NRA life membership paid-off in about 4 months).  

Thanks in advance!

ETA - first thought was to buy a RAR, but this was called my name today.   I'll have to order the RAR - no one has them in stock locally threaded.   I'm sure I'll take myself into it soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the trigger on new ones kind of sucked, I took the easy way out and bought the Ruger bx trigger but they are much better ones available.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the trigger on new ones kind of sucked, I took the easy way out and bought the Ruger bx trigger but they are much better ones available.
View Quote
I figure a trigger upgrade is probably in order... I want a tactical trigger (at least 4.5 lbs - preferably a little heavier).
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd definitely go for a BX trigger. What is a lighter pull for an adult should be perfect for your youngster. As mentioned above, there are others, but if you look at reviews the consensus seems to be that the BX is as good as any.

Also, I have a newer take down, and an older pre-plastic band model. The old one is definitely half the spread of the new one at 100 yards, but for around the farm plinking and varminting, should be fine. Great 1st rifle for sure.

ETA: And I'm not very happy with the BX-25 25 round magazines in my takedown. The action seems to catch on and lock up behind the mag pretty often. I can't figure out why.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd definitely go for a BX trigger. What is a lighter pull for an adult should be perfect for your youngster. As mentioned above, there are others, but if you look at reviews the consensus seems to be that the BX is as good as any.

Also, I have a newer take down, and an older pre-plastic band model. The old one is definitely half the spread of the new one at 100 yards, but for around the farm plinking and varminting, should be fine. Great 1st rifle for sure.

ETA: And I'm not very happy with the BX-25 25 round magazines in my takedown. The action seems to catch on and lock up behind the mag pretty often. I can't figure out why.
View Quote
Funny note - I've had 10/22 mags for some time now...  just waiting on the rifle.   Funny how that happens.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, just go shoot it.  Then shoot is some more.  It's a fabulous gun.  Congrats to you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Stainless 10/22 about 6 years ago and it is an excellent shooter, accurate and better than some of the AR clones out there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Factory trigger is rough. As others have said replace it or re work it. There is some info here but another great source is rimfirecentral.com

Factory sights also are somewhat limited. There are several rear peep sights available or you can go with a optic or red dot. For younger kids the
red dot has lots going for it. Less than perfect cheek weld ( small kid trying to fit stock) as long as the kid sees the dot he can hit stuff and have fun.

If you go the optic route keep in mind only something fairly compact will fit in the factory bag without a QD scope mount.

Lets see...... You have the TD covered so you will need a heavy barrel tactical model and a no holds barred bench/target model at least to get started , although a plain wood stock model
that you could saw off the butt to make a shorty for the kid until he outgrows it and then buy some aftermarket stock.

Let's see , that's four---not all you will want but it is a start
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I installed Hi Viz fiber optic sights on my stainless/synthetic TD.  What a difference that makes since I am not going to scope it.  Also OP, you might want to consider an auto bolt release mod.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
M&P 15-22.  I don't even look back anymore.  Great training rifle.  Mags are $12 on sale these days.

I'm done with the 10/22.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The Brimstone intermediate trigger is very nice. You send yours in and they work it. The BX trigger isn’t bad at all and it’s cheaper. If you sell your original trigger you can lower your cost even more.

The Weaver rimfire scopes are nice esp for the money
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M&P 15-22.  I don't even look back anymore.  Great training rifle.  Mags are $12 on sale these days.

I'm done with the 10/22.
View Quote
I thought of that, but I have several ARs in the .22.   I know the 15-22 is a lot lighter, but I was looking for a "traditional" rifle to start her on.   Plus, the takedown function is neat.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Recommendation on a rail?  It comes with a Weaver(?) rail, but I think I probably need something Picatinny?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Recommendation on a rail?  It comes with a Weaver(?) rail, but I think I probably need something Picatinny?
View Quote
Why? Guess it depends on what kind of rings/mount/optic set up you’re looking for. Nothing wrong with a Weaver rail.

In regards to other upgrades, I’d shoot it a while first and see what you “need.” Besides maybe finding the BX trigger for a good price I can’t see dropping $150-300 on a trigger for a ~$200 gun. You will likely find that it’s a plenty accurate platform with the right ammo and a halfway decent scope. However, if your pockets can handle it the sky is the limit on 10/22 accessories.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why? Guess it depends on what kind of rings/mount/optic set up you’re looking for. Nothing wrong with a Weaver rail.

In regards to other upgrades, I’d shoot it a while first and see what you “need.” Besides maybe finding the BX trigger for a good price I can’t see dropping $150-300 on a trigger for a ~$200 gun. You will likely find that it’s a plenty accurate platform with the right ammo and a halfway decent scope. However, if your pockets can handle it the sky is the limit on 10/22 accessories.
View Quote
Good advice!   That's more or less my plan.

On the rail - as nhsport suggested, I was planning to use a red dot to start.   I thought would be a lot easier for my daughter to get the hang of handling the gun (she's got some issues with spacial acuity).   The Weaver rail should work if the recoil tabs will fit.   If not, I wanted to know the best option  to accommodate one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Weaver rail should work if the recoil tabs will fit.   If not, I wanted to know the best option  to accommodate one.
View Quote
Yea but a 1913 rail will give you a lot more placement options than the factory Ruger / Weaver rail.

Kidd makes great products and has the best shipping prices around. This rail hangs over the barrel a little.
http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Scope-Base-for-factory-Ruger-1022-receiver_p_19.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Take Down when Ruger just came out with them.  I added all Kidd internal parts.  I took off the factory sights and installed Tech Sights Aperture sights.  At the moment I am also using an Aimpoint H-1 micro red dot sight on the gun.  Buy lots of magazines and ammo.  I've never had problems with the Ruger BX-10 and BX-25 magazines.  Enjoy and be safe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Im a fan of the Volquartsen drop in hammer kit.  About $30.

All you really need to do to the trigger to make it much better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not gonna tell you what to do w/ your kid, but a couple notes worth mentioning:
-The Magpull stock LOP is around 13". This is A LOT for a 6yo. My kids (7 & 3) both have Rascals and even 11.25" seems like a bit much. Especially, in the colder months with jackets and such.
-My kids have plenty of other firearms to use, but I try to keep them to iron sights, for now. A random plinking w/ a red dot does happen. I feel it's paramount to start at the basics and get skills and fundamentals nailed down. It's too easy for them to get distracted from these key things when they have a semi-auto w/ a magazine full of fun.
-By the time you're all said and done (stock, threading, trigger, mount, dot/scope) you could have started w/ a very good bolt trainer for much less. Just saying
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just bought my first 10/22.

I have a Magpul Backpacker stock already on the way... what should be next on my list?
View Quote
Go straight to Kidd and upgrade the bolt, trigger, mag release, etc.

Kidd
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Kidd
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just bought my first 10/22.

Kidd
What he said
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You aren't the only one having issues with the BX-25s.  At least once per mag, mine will cause a cartridge to miss the chamber and jam the nose of the round against the breach face above the chamber opening.  Happens with two of my BX-25s, haven't tried the other two yet.  Might give Butler Creek a try.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You aren't the only one having issues with the BX-25s.  At least once per mag, mine will cause a cartridge to miss the chamber and jam the nose of the round against the breach face above the chamber opening.  Happens with two of my BX-25s, haven't tried the other two yet.  Might give Butler Creek a try.
View Quote
I have never has a BX25 work in any of my 10/22s. Butler Creek Steel Lips have been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagged.  I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 takedown and a Ruger ISB (Rugers suppressed barrel for it).  I was not able to shoot it as the rifle was purchased on the last day I was home as an impulse buy. The ISB should be good to go when I get home next time.  With that said, I have seen where people in the thread has said to upgrade with KIDD parts.  What parts specifically would I get the most benefit out of?  This rifle will be what I teach my young son to shoot on at first when I am back.  I can see a lighter trigger may help him, but is there anything else?  This will be a training tool more than anything else if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top