Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 11:00:53 PM EDT
I am looking to pull the trigger on a Hornady lock and load - it appears to be the best deal for the money.  However, I am fairly new to reloading pistol and rifle cailber cartridges - used to reload shotshells all the time.  I have all of the reloading books, which are the most important tools IMO.

1 - With the LnL - it appears that I will need to purchase a die set and a shell plate (I'm looking at starting with 9mm, and explanding to 556) - is this correct?

2 - I know that the LnL has a lot of extra accessories that are offerred - none of which are techincally needed to start.  Of all of those offered - are there any that are must have over the others?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just started into reloading and wen with the LNL. I really like it.
Yes, just the plate and then the die set and ready to go. One thing I struggled to get was extra LNL bushings so I could load more than 1 cal. Something you will need to get also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the lock and load feature is just a gimmick. It takes about 6 seconds to screw in a regular die so how much time are you really saving?  You’re just putting more parts between the press and die with o rings that’ll wear out. I don’t see the benefit.
If you want a progressive press your money will be better spent with Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If you feel a case feeder is in your future I would look elsewhere. Once all the accessories are added the price difference narrows quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the lock and load feature is just a gimmick. It takes about 6 seconds to screw in a regular die so how much time are you really saving?  You’re just putting more parts between the press and die with o rings that’ll wear out. I don’t see the benefit.
View Quote

I used LnL bushings on my Lee presses, they worked OK

Now I just change out the tool heads and powder measures on the RL550B

I have a RS1 and Rockchucker for backup or small runs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 for a Dillon!
My 550b has been running strong since '94. The only thing that has needed to be replaced was the low primer alarm, under warranty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the lock and load feature is just a gimmick. It takes about 6 seconds to screw in a regular die so how much time are you really saving?  You're just putting more parts between the press and die with o rings that'll wear out. I don't see the benefit.
View Quote

If changing a die just for caliber conversion not a big deal.  I have my Rock Chucker set up with Lock and Load bushings, when I resize say .223 and a primer doesn't pop out for some reason, in 4 seconds I can pop in a universal decapping die and pop the primer out, then another 4 seconds pop the sizing die back in.  It's a time saver in this scenario
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Many people ignore this advice, but that is where they eventually end up. Avoid some frustration and take this advice.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to go with the Dillon crew.  I have had 2 550s for 30 years more or less and have never looked back.  Two different friends disregarded the advice to get a Dillon, one got an RCBS and the other got the Hornady; both have repented of their decision.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Dillon.

No matter what.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If changing a die just for caliber conversion not a big deal.  I have my Rock Chucker set up with Lock and Load bushings, when I resize say .223 and a primer doesn't pop out for some reason, in 4 seconds I can pop in a universal decapping die and pop the primer out, then another 4 seconds pop the sizing die back in.  It's a time saver in this scenario
View Quote

Yeah, you saved about 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to get the most out of a progressive press, you’ll eventually want a case feeder.  Hornady’s case feeder is reason enough to buy a Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate all of the "get Dillon" replies - but the lead-time on 9mm dies from Dillon are now a 9 fucking months!  And they are going for $275 a set on Ebay!  F that!  

Can the Dillon run other brand of dies - such as the Hornady?  I can find Hornady dies online for $50.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hornady doesn't make carbide size dies. They use a titanium nitride coated steel ring. That's why they're fifty bucks. Titanium nitride is the gold looking coating you see on some drill bit sets. I don't think that they'll hold up to the high volume use that they'll get in a Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hornady doesn't make carbide size dies. They use a titanium nitride coated steel ring. That's why they're fifty bucks. Titanium nitride is the gold looking coating you see on some drill bit sets. I don't think that they'll hold up to the high volume use that they'll get in a Dillon.
View Quote

Dillon lists their carbide dies for $75 on their site - not much more than the Hornady dies.....but they are unobtanium. Back to the original question - can other dies be used in this machine?  I think so - but need confirmation.  If so - which are the best (of those that are available)?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dillon lists their carbide dies for $75 on their site - not much more than the Hornady dies.....but they are unobtanium. Back to the original question - can other dies be used in this machine?  I think so - but need confirmation.  If so - which are the best (of those that are available)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the Hornady progressive I don't see why not as long as you use the trick quick change thingies.  Dillon forum says you can on theirs. I like Redding, RCBS, and Lyman in that order.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Appreciate all of the "get Dillon" replies - but the lead-time on 9mm dies from Dillon are now a 9 fucking months!  And they are going for $275 a set on Ebay!  F that!  

Can the Dillon run other brand of dies - such as the Hornady?  I can find Hornady dies online for $50.
View Quote

Yes, you can use other manufacturers dies in a Dillon. Except for the Dillon square deal press. That press uses different proprietary dies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Start with a Lee classic turret, it's a hybrid between a progressive and single stage, and can be used just like a single stage later on when you don't need to set up the progressive for small batches. Lee parts and accessories are generally cheap and available.

Once you've got the hang of things, get a Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Long time LNL user. Too old/tired/broke to move to Dillon.

I think you’ll want a single stage for some things so maybe get one first but skip the LNL.

Per dryflash: run the LNL powder dispenser on your Dillon and you’ll be pleased. I know a club member who does the same.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The real minefield you are stepping into here is mentioning OTD.

"Other Than Dillon"
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My favorite dies are Hornady on a Dillon press.

You will not wear them out, I've got 20+ years on some of mine.
View Quote

My sizing ring pulled out of my Hornady 9mm sizer die after about 200,000 rounds, but Hornady sent me a new die with no hassle.

Hornady's lifetime guarantee is excellent, and they are easier to get on the phone than Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I started with a Lee turret and then moved to the Hornady lnl. I also have an RCBS rockchucker.

While I do have other things I could be doing, reloading is a hobby for me and I enjoy my time doing it. I reload for several calibers and usually load 200-300rds of high volume stuff at a time. For my needs, the Hornady works fine. Only issue I've had with it is the progression pawls chipping and those are cheap to replace.

If the question is starting right into a progressive, I say go for it if you are mechanically inclined. You can always leave all the other dies out and just do one step at a time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I started on a lnl and eventually got a Dillon.

I still have the LNLAP and use it for sizing brass fast, but definitely prefer the xl650.

The case feeder is soooo much better on the Dillon. If you even remotely think you will want a case feeder, get the Dillon.

I run exclusively Hornady and Redding dies on my Dillon don't even own a set of Dillon dies.

Attachment Attached File

One plus for the lnl is that you can 3D print your case feeder. It's still not as reliable than the Dillon but I actually prefer it over the Hornady case feeder (I owned it and sold it).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I started in progressives with the Hornady LnL.  It taught me a lot about progressive loading.

One key benefit of the LnL bushing system is that - even though it really doesn’t take long to install that sizing die - once you have your sizing die set, it stays set because the lock ring locks the die to the bushing.  You won’t have to readjust your sizing die again.  Same for seating dies - once set, they’re set.

And as AssaultRifler points out, switching out a die is almost trivial, whether for “oops, that primer didn’t come all the way out” or something else.

Hornady’s progressive press offers a lot of flexibility at the cost of some necessary tinkering to tweak case feeding (or rarely to tweak shell plate advancing).

Dillon’s system’s shining value (functionally) comes from their system taking the tinkering out of it.  There are more caliber-specific bits to buy for each caliber you load, but as a whole, they smooth out changing from one caliber to another.  Instead of having to swap or adjust common parts for case feeding as on the Hornady, you swap out more specific parts that require no adjustment to “just work.”  You can get going faster and more consistently because of this.

The trade-off is that those caliber conversions require substantially more pieces than simply a new die set and new shell plate.  You need a tool head, the correct case feed parts, case retainer buttons and new dies and a new shell plate.

So starting out with Hornady’s Lock n Load AP is not a bad choice.  I wouldn’t have fully appreciated what each step in progressive loading entailed if I hadn’t gone with that press.  I still have it, and while I’m still getting used to my Dillon 750, that doesn’t mean I’m done with the Hornady press by any means.  When I went with the Hornady, I didn’t get rid of my first generation RCBS Rock Chucker press (oh ^$&& no!), I just changed to using it for specific tasks instead of every task.

OP, you can’t go badly wrong with either choice.  As for Dillon’s brand of 9mm dies being out of stock, I wouldn’t fret it.  You can use ANY brand of dies with Dillon’s tool heads.  I currently have only one Dillon die set (in 9mm), but I have loaded .380 on the XL750 with my RCBS dies.  I’ll be using my Hornady dies for other calibers.

In for how this shakes out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Get the Dillon, it handles all of my pistol reloading needs very well (i don’t even own any Dillon dies if that is your concern).  Like the others have said, you can buy the Dillon now or buy something else first only to likely end up going blue.  There are plenty of good machines, and the Hornady is liked by many, but there is a reason Dillon is recommended by so many.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
+1000 for DILLON

GRAFS and SHEELS carrys them also

i use LEE, DILLON, Hornady, lyman dies on my 550 and 650
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had a Dillion 550B and now an XL750. Never owned a Dillion die in my life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Dillon tool heads are a gimmick, why not just swap in the dies on one tool head.

These threads are tiresome, chevy, ram, ford.............
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think Dillon tool heads are a gimmick, why not just swap in the dies on one tool head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swapped out the dies on one Dillon toolhead for many years. There is a solution to these tiresome threads that compare products....don't read or participate in them. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

because with the Dillon tool head everything stays adjusted exactly the same, . . . including the powder measure.

Once you get that perfect match load, you never have to worry about loosing it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am looking to pull the trigger on a Hornady lock and load - it appears to be the best deal for the money.
View Quote

Have helped assemble, tune, and used an LnL progressive.  It's less money, but it's not the best deal for the money.  Dillon is a better choice... even if it's more money, you're going to be pulling that handle many thousands of times.  Get the Dillon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I swapped out the dies on one Dillon toolhead for many years. There is a solution to these tiresome threads that compare products....don't read or participate in them. Problem solved.
View Quote

It's tiresome in the fact that the OP asked a LNL question, your reply bashed a feature then went on to recommend something else.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all of the comments and education.  I really am looking at the Dillon 550 now - but I am having a hard time justifying cost for the moment, especially with the fact that you can't find reloading components anywhere it seems!!  Central FL has no place to buy this stuff except for maybe 2 places, which are continuously picked clear....

In any case - onto another question.  Since I live in FL, we don't have basements.  If I can ever find powder how safe would it be to store it in thouse?  I know you aren't supposed to store it in high heat / humid enviornment meaning it would have to be stored in the house since that's the only place that is cooled by AC.  My concern is safety.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the comments and education.  I really am looking at the Dillon 550 now - but I am having a hard time justifying cost for the moment, especially with the fact that you can't find reloading components anywhere it seems!!  Central FL has no place to buy this stuff except for maybe 2 places, which are continuously picked clear....

In any case - onto another question.  Since I live in FL, we don't have basements.  If I can ever find powder how safe would it be to store it in thouse?  I know you aren't supposed to store it in high at / humid enviornment meaning it would have to be stored in the house since that's the only place that is cooled by AC.  My concern is safety.
View Quote

No issue storing powder in the home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In any case - onto another question.  Since I live in FL, we don't have basements.  If I can ever find powder how safe would it be to store it in thouse?  I know you aren't supposed to store it in high heat / humid enviornment meaning it would have to be stored in the house since that's the only place that is cooled by AC.  My concern is safety.
View Quote

The whole industry is in turmoil with no relief in sight. What guns you can find are going for more than msrp. I did find a couple of boxes of Hornady XTPs but no luck finding primers or powder. What I find surprising is that nearly every conceivable piece of reloading gear is sold out, presses, dies, powder measures, die sets, even shell holders. You have to check the retailers on a daily basis because the items that come back in stock don't last long. There must be an awful lot of new reloaders out there buying all this stuff. I hope they all practice safe reloading procedures & nobody gets hurt.
I needed a set of .45 acp dies and in my search discovered that RCBS and Lyman sell products direct to the consumer so I got a set from RCBS cheaper than used sets are going for on Ebay.
Storing powder in your home isn't a problem. Keep it in a relatively cool and dry place away from obvious sources of heat and you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's tiresome in the fact that the OP asked a LNL question, your reply bashed a feature then went on to recommend something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A while ago you said "these threads are tiresome, chevy, ram, ford...." . Now you're implying that it was my reply to the OPs post that's tiresome because I was critical of the lock n load feature and suggested that his money would be better spent with Dillon. I see that you are a member here and since you found my post so tiresome now might be a good time to put me on your ignore list because I remain critical of that particular feature and still believe that Dillon is the way to go when considering progressive presses. So hit that ignore button and you won't be so bored or annoyed by my posts now or in the future.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you feel a case feeder is in your future I would look elsewhere. Once all the accessories are added the price difference narrows quite a bit.
View Quote

Winner winner. I’ve had my LnL for 3-4 years now I think. Wish I would have just gone with an XL650 at the time because I just put in an order for an XL750. Luckily I bought the Hornady case and bulletfeeder second hand.

Dillon is local to me, so I’ve been over there a few times over the years to check out their presses. Few things I want to point out about both the Hornady and Dillon presses:

-I don’t think the LnL bushings are a gimmick. They’re actually pretty great to be honest. I set my dies once a long time ago and I’ve had them set the same way ever since. Changing over from 9mm to .223/5.56 is as easy as a quarter turn on each station - as far as the dies go, at least.

-The Hornady design is not nearly as robust, smooth, or as well thought out as the Dillon. The indexing pawls, casefeeder guide wire, primer guide wire, and PTX linkage all need to be in absolute perfect alignment for the LnL to function well. Prepare to do a ton of fiddling if you want to run case and bullet feeders on the LnL. This is the biggest reason I’ve decided to switch. Seems like I spend more time fixing the actual press than I do reloading. If it’s not the shellplate alignment, it’s the casefeeder pivot bushing popping out. If it’s not that, it’s the priming system getting hung up, or the casefeeder carriage timing, or this or that. I’ll get things going perfectly, then a couple hundred rounds later it’s something else. It’s a fine press for the price, but my time is worth more to me. I enjoy reloading but I actually want to reload.

-The Hornady case-activated powder throw system is actually very good. It’s easy to use and accurate. However, their PTX is not the ideal shape. Someone else makes PTX tubes that work much better

-Changing calibers on the Hornady is relatively easy and cheap. You’ll need a different case feed plate, obviously a die set, new LnL bushings, and a different shell plate. A separate rifle/pistol powder thrower helps make things much quicker. Dillon tool heads are much more expensive but they’re much more convenient than individual LnL bushings.

-Hornady customer service is pretty great to me. When I break something or have a question I can’t answer on my own (which no longer happens, I know this machine inside and out at this point), I call them up, get on the line within a couple minutes, and get something sent to me for free. But Dillon also has a completely “no bs” warranty. I’ve been in-store when someone brought in a hideous old press that was no longer functional. The cashier called in a tech from their repair group who came out to diagnose the problem. Customer could have taken the press home that day with the needed replacement part. However, the tech offered to completely refurbish the press for free. There’s actually a guy here in the Phoenix area who runs around the state buying broken/old/used Dillon presses, gets Dillon to refurbish them for cheap/free, and resells them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I have 2 LNL's, one I use for case prep w/dillion trimmer and the other is an ammo plant I use for loading. They are easy to use, easy to set up, and load just fine. Ive been running this setup for over a decade. No issues.

As others have mentioned, make sure you get plenty of bushings, whatever dies you prefer to use and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I quit reading at first mention of Dillon.

OP DID NOT ASK ABOUT A DILLON!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top