Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 10:23:38 PM EDT
I've got a work bonus burning a hole in my wallet and decided I need to increase my can collection (pretty slim as I only have an AAC Pilot right now).  I'd like to pick up 3 cans to meet the following criteria-

-556 AR host (not an SBR and would be a 16" carbine or AR pistol
-.30 cal host (plan on picking up an AR in 300 blackout) that would universaly work well with one of my 556 ARs
-9mm host is a Glock or PCC

Appreciate any suggestions as there are no shortage of options. Budget wise, I am good to spend roughly up to $3500 total (does not include the stamps).

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
YHM Turbo, Dead Air Nomad, and Rugged Obsidian or CGS Mod 9
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yhm turbo for 556 (VERY AFFORDABLE and works wonderful)

Energetic arms Vox for 30 cal (affordable with solid performance and numerous mount options)

Silencerco octane45 (gen2) for pistol calibers (only pistol can I have experience with
)
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are OK with swapping the rifle can around between hosts, get a .30, a pistol can (.9mm or .45 doesn't matter much), and a .22LR can.

That last is really important - .22 is just so much quieter than subsonic centerfire.  If you don't have a proper .22 host for one, you should get one.  It's worth it enough to factor that into your overall can budget.

ETA missed the pilot (duh).  Consider 2 cans and better .22 hosts anyways, for the same budget.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YHM Turbo, Dead Air Nomad CGS Hyperion, and Rugged Obsidian or CGS Mod 9
View Quote

With that budget, I'd be tempted to splurge on the Hyperion for the .30 can, agree on the other choices.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
YHM Turbo (5.56), CGS Mod9 FS (9mm); not certain about .30, probably YHM  Resonator
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are OK with swapping the rifle can around between hosts, get a .30, a pistol can (.9mm or .45 doesn't matter much), and a .22LR can.

That last is really important - .22 is just so much quieter than subsonic centerfire.  If you don't have a proper .22 host for one, you should get one.  It's worth it enough to factor that into your overall can budget.

ETA missed the pilot (duh).  Consider 2 cans and better .22 hosts anyways, for the same budget.
View Quote

Thanks all for the replies. I may have been shortsighted not considering another rimfire can. I have several hosts for my Pilot 2 (AR 15-22, M&P 22,  10-22, etc. Suggestions on a better  rimfire can?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
YHM T2 Turbo for 5.56.

YHM R2 Resonator for 300blk, .308 and other 300 magnums if you want.

YHM N2O for 9mm.

Silencer co Osprey 9mm

The R2 Resonator can also double as a 5.56 can down to 10.5".

The N2O is rated for 9mm - .308, needs a 16" barrel for 5.56 and .308 though and minimum 7.5" 300blk.

I have an R1 Resonator that I use on my rem 700 .308 and AUG.

I have a Silencerco Osprey 45 that I use on my usp tac 45 and ria 10mm.

I bought a B&T GHM9 and GHM45 back in Dec.

I also bought a YHM N2O and a Griffin revolution 45 for my new pcc's, GHM9 will get the N2O and the GHM45 will obviously get the revolution 45.

I had to buy another 45 can because the Osprey can't do 3-lug that the GHM45 has.

I also like the idea of not having to switch mounts/adapters, from direct thread to 3-lug if the Osprey could do 3-lug, keep the Osprey for pistol use only and the Revolution for pcc.

Which dealer are you planning on using???

I mainly use silencer shop, once everything was set up online and did my fingerprints and passport photo at their kiosk I never had to go to a gun store again to buy a suppressor.

Hell, SS even mailed me 2 sets of fingerprint cards for my 2 form 1's I did to sbr my ghm9/45 for $15.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I also am a little surprised no recommendations yet for Surefire on the rifles- I thought they were the heat?  Am I off on that? Thanks all for educating me and I'm looking forward to adding on to the trust
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I also am a little surprised no recommendations yet for Surefire on the rifles- I thought they were the heat?  Am I off on that? Thanks all for educating me and I'm looking forward to adding on to the trust
View Quote

They can take a beating, but so can other cans as well for a lot less money, but they are quite loud, they used to be the shit until owners started posting/complaining other cans were much quieter and cost less.

I wanted a surefire can at first until I came here and read how unhappy surefire can owners were back in 2008.

YHM, Rugged, Dead Air, Silencer co all have lifetime warranties.

Dead Air and or Rugged might replace your can even if you run it over with a tank and flatten it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
With cans like YHM and Rex Silentium offering crazy value these days its hard to suggest something like Surefire where you can get several YHM or Rex cans for similar coin to one Surefire.

There are many suppressor " Vets" buying YHM cans these days just to dedicate to a host but when they post in places like this with praise on these inexpensive cans their thoughts have some weight to them. Some of these guys own 20 plus cans so when they are impressed I think it says alot about what YHM and Rex are bringing to the table.

I also need to be up front as I'm a bit biased owning 4 YHM cans of my own now. My Turbo K which is fantastic for taking off the edge of a short 5.56 setup, I run mine on a 10.3 pistol.  The Resonator R2 is primarily run on a .300blk 8.3 pistol but its also works wonderfully on the 300blk and 308 bolt guns as well as my 5.56 hosts.. I have 2 R9s now. Excellent subgun cans which they primarily are and pull double duty as a light duty K can option for some rifle hosts as long as you observe the barrel restrictions YHM has indicated.  I've used mine with .300blk subs and supers and 308 on the bolt guns and while not the quietest thing available still adequate and didn't sound too bad actually.  Their N20 is a Titanium version of the R9 and also adds a front module with a wiped end cap option if you wanted even more suppression.  Very versatile and comparable to Dead Air's Wolfman if you like having alot of options.  It is quite expensive compared to the rest of the YHM lineup though. The R9 and N20 also can take a booster for handgun use or 3 lug for PCC/subguns equipped with one at the muzzle.  

Rex Silentium is offering their MG and ModX lineups which are just as equally capable and the MG being budget friendly.  The Mod X costs considerably more but extremely versatile with the modularity.   These cans also now offer 1.375x24 threads on the back end which really open up mounting opportunities.  You don't like the YHM mounting solution? Go with something else.  With Surfire your stuck with their arrangement unless you sent your can off to someone like Nick at ECCO Machine who is offering some fantastic conversion services these days to make alot of legacy cans work with newer mounting options.  But that is more time and money spent on something and only after your can has been approved and in your hand.

I also own two Dead Air cans, Dead Air Mask for rimfire and Sandman K for 30cal along with a Silencer Co Octane 2.0 for 9mm (double duty rimfire) and finally an Allen Engineering AEM5 for 5.56. The Mask is a fantastic rimfire option.  While your pilot is more than functional having a second rimfire can is nice to not have to be bouncing your one and only can around from host to host all of the time.  I bought the Octane 2.0 to have a proper 9mm handgun option but it also works equally well for rimfire use.  Any user servicable 9 or 45 handgun can will do the same, something to consider.  The Sandman K doesn't see too much use anymore.  I've kinda delegated it to bolt gun use these days but it was one of my first purchases and these awesome YHM and Rex offerings were not on the market yet.  Had they been I might not have bought it.  

Finally I have the AEM5 which is arguably the best 5.56 option on the market.  It takes a special barrel profile and collar to work with the muzzle mount for attaching the suppressor but once you hear the thing you realize its well worth the hassle and expense of setting up a host for one.  I like the Turbo K and AEM5 for 5.56 applications.  The Turbo K (and Turbo) is great for taking off the edge at a fraction of the price of what most 5.56 cans will cost and will effectively sound pretty much the same.  It has an nice tone to it too where some 5.56 cans sound more harsh.  Then there is the AEM5 which blows most  5.56 cans out of the water.  I like to call the AEM5 and Turbo K suppressors mild and wild and feel like I have 2 of the best 5.56 suppressor tools available.

Anyway just some of my thoughts, there are no right or wrong answers here but keep doing your homework.  It is wise to go into this with realistic expectations too.  Suppressed rimfire is your gateway drug as you already know and the closest your going to get to that hollywood quiet.  While much nicer sounding most rifle caliber suppressed firearms are going remain loud and still be very distinctively identifiable as a gunshot.  The Surefire is a tough can but far from the quietest option out there available. If you don't go with the budget option other great options exist that sound better and offer alot of versatility for more money and usually still come in for less coin than a Surefire.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
YHM Turbo, Dead Air Nomad, and Rugged Obsidian or CGS Mod 9
View Quote

I have a YHM Turbo K, love it

Have a Nomad, and Obsidian in jail.

So I 2nd the quoted post.

Almost bought a Sandman S last month.  Decided to wait and see what DA new 556 can will be.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#12]
YHM Turbo K
YHM R9 for 30 and 9mm
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote-  Which dealer are you planning on using???

I mainly use silencer shop, once everything was set up online and did my fingerprints and passport photo at their kiosk I never had to go to a gun store again to buy a suppressor.

Hell, SS even mailed me 2 sets of fingerprint cards for my 2 form 1's I did to sbr my ghm9/45 for $15

Great info everyone and thanks. To this question, I was planing on going through a local shop and add to my current trust. But the idea of doing much of it online and having it shipped to my house is very appealing. I have heard mixed reviews about SS ranging from they were great to work with to the rep was pushy and really had a hard sell on their own products vs what you wanted to purchase from another manufacturer.

Any additional thoughts on SS?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quote-  Which dealer are you planning on using???

Hell, SS even mailed me 2 sets of fingerprint cards for my 2 form 1's I did to sbr my ghm9/45 for $15

Great info everyone and thanks. To this question, I was planning on going through a local shop and add to my current trust. But the idea of doing much of it online and having it shipped to my house is very appealing. I have heard mixed reviews about SS ranging from they were great to work with to the rep was pushy and really had a hard sell on their own products vs what you wanted to purchase from another manufacturer.

Any additional thoughts on SS?
View Quote

IIRC what it says on the Form 4, photos and fingerprints must be no more than a year old.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
As for shipping directly to you (from an in-state dealer), the feds may be okay with it, but check your state (possibly local?) laws.  Per my in-state dealer, my state does not allow said direct to customer shipping, even from an in-state dealer.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got a work bonus burning a hole in my wallet and decided I need to increase my can collection (pretty slim as I only have an AAC Pilot right now).  I'd like to pick up 3 cans to meet the following criteria-

-556 AR host (not an SBR and would be a 16" carbine or AR pistol
-.30 cal host (plan on picking up an AR in 300 blackout) that would universaly work well with one of my 556 ARs
-9mm host is a Glock or PCC

Appreciate any suggestions as there are no shortage of options. Budget wise, I am good to spend roughly up to $3500 total (does not include the stamps).

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Why not a Turbo or Turbo K for 5.56, a Resonator or Resonator K for .30 which would bring you to about $1000 plus tax? I like the K cans to reduce the blast but I don't have a .300 and only shoot supersonic. It won't be hearing safe anyways so shorter and lighter is better.

Then a decent 9mm can. I don't really have any recommendations there as I don't shoot suppressed pistol that much anymore. When I do it's an AAC Tirant 9 which isn't available. Figure about $800 plus tax for that.

That should leave enough in your silencer budget for all the tax plus another rimfire can(s) and/or maybe another rifle can(s).
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

IIRC what it says on the Form 4, photos and fingerprints must be no more than a year old.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
As for shipping directly to you (from an in-state dealer), the feds may be okay with it, but check your state (possibly local?) laws.  Per my in-state dealer, my state does not allow said direct to customer shipping, even from an in-state dealer.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
View Quote

It definitely says pics must be no more than one year old. I never noticed anything about the age of the fingerprints. I've submitted older fingerprint cards and had them approved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top