Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 1:44:20 PM EDT
Looking for a mag extension that will get me flush or pretty close to flush with the factory 21" barrel on an 1100 special field I picked up cheap.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

For reference, I have 11" of space from the base of the mag tube cap to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The Remington factory +3 extension will be just shy of 21".  Here it is with a 20" barrel:

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
@RogueJSK   thanks for the help, bud.

While we're at it, any idea what choke to use for primarily buck and slug? It's a 1989 model and I'm not sure if they changed the threading since then. Currently looking at a Remington probore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cylinder or improved cylinder, and the threads are the same still.
View Quote

Thanks for the help, bud. Any experience with optics planet?  Only place so far that has everything I need.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Optics Planet is notorious for claiming to have things in stock when they aren't.  If you order something and they do actually have it, it's usually fine.  But be prepared to get stuck in "Backorder Limbo" quite often with them.

I'd try to source it from somewhere (anywhere) else first.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Optics Planet is notorious for claiming to have things in stock when they aren't.  If you order something and they do actually have it, it's usually fine.  But be prepared to get stuck in "Backorder Limbo" quite often with them.

I'd try to source it from somewhere (anywhere) else first.
View Quote

You're a good man, thanks. Ain't trying to wait forever on things I've already paid for.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't need to stick with the Remington Factory extension either.  Any of the 3-shot mag extensions will work.  I have had tons of shotguns and ran everything from Tac-Star, Scattergun Tech (now Wilson), Nordic, Choate, etc.  All have ran fine.

The trick will be finding one that matches the Special Field high gloss blue finish.  Remington makes a blued (or use to) mag extension, but they are hard to find.  Everything else is matte.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't need to stick with the Remington Factory extension either.  Any of the 3-shot mag extensions will work.  I have had tons of shotguns and ran everything from Tac-Star, Scattergun Tech (now Wilson), Nordic, Choate, etc.  All have ran fine.

The trick will be finding one that matches the Special Field high gloss blue finish.  Remington makes a blued (or use to) mag extension, but they are hard to find.  Everything else is matte.
View Quote

Bought a choate +3 earlier. Worst case I'll spray it with high gloss poly . Should look decent at least. Couldn't find a factory extension at all, not from a reputable supplier. It's never gonna be a showpiece anyhow.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about it though. Always hate pissing away money.

Eta: the choate I bought did come in a blued finish for those who may need one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, so got the +3 extension and I'm a still 2.5" short of being flush with the muzzle. Not a huge deal but I was wondering if any had a +4 they could measure for me. I need to be at 11" on the extension to get flush. The +3 is 8.5" I believe the reason is that the 1100 special has a shorter mag tube to begin with. Forearm looks shorter than the average 1100. Should have done my homework better.

Anyone have a +4 they could measure for me?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@RogueJSK   thanks for the help, bud.

While we're at it, any idea what choke to use for primarily buck and slug? It's a 1989 model and I'm not sure if they changed the threading since then. Currently looking at a Remington probore.
View Quote

Rem-Choke tubes and Probore tubes are 2 different things, not interchangeable.

Rem-choke tubes have threads down at the bottom of the tube area (inside the barrel), the Probore tube has threads at the top (near the muzzle).  AFAIK the "Probore tubes are only used in the Versamax and a few of the 1100 and CTI "Competition" gun barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top