Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2019 3:03:46 AM EDT
This will be my first gun safe and I honestly want to do this right the first time so that there won't be a need to upgrade later on. My budget is approximately 800 bucks max with a little wiggle room if need be. I want a mechanical lock and not an electrical one for the obvious reason of failure.

At the price I'm willing to pay, I'm just not finding a good solid(going on reviews) safe that is all mechanical. The only safes that are mechanical that have the best reviews are well out of the wiggle realm of my $800 budget.

Am I just going to have to suck it up and accept an electrical lock or do you guys know of a good mechanical brand in my budget?

I'm also looking into am buying used as well and I almost forgot, 18-24 gun capacity is what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to give you the best advice.  Go as big as you can afford.  A 24 gun safe does not store 24 guns.  Fucking BS.  Go big, as you are going to store a bunch of other stuff in it.  I have three safes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Liberty is having a sale on their 24 gun for 749 right now....buuuuuut it has a “upgraded” electronic lock.

Liberty Centurion 24
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Fatboy Jr or a Fatboy if you don't mind taking off some door jambs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought my Liberty 18 about a year ago. It would hold 18 handguns if I stacked them, but 18 modern rifles with scopes/dots would be Twister~gun edition- so get a safe as big as you can fit into wherever you are going to store it.

Most reputable safe manufacturers offer a warranty on their electronic locks and some are EMP shielded. I'm most familiar with Liberty safes (The one I own) and they will replace the safe if you have a break-in attempt or fire. I consider those much more likely than a modern electronic lock failing, but other's mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Mechanical locks fail too, but hey, you do you.

If your budget is only $800, you can just call it your "first safe".

Liberty was mentioned as a brand.  I am sure Sean Hannity has a discount code for them, as he is always advertising for them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
a break-in attempt or fire. I consider those much more likely than a modern electronic lock failing
View Quote
It's the other way around.  Failures are much more common than fire or burglaries, many times over.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes I have seen alot of the liberty safes being advertised. I will give them a closer look as I have a lgs that sells them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a liberty Franklin 24 with upgraded electrical lock. I've been extremely happy! I won't debate mechanical vs electric, but I researched a ton planning to get a mechanical and ended up with a higher end S&G electric.  We go in the safe all the time for the checkbook, cash, guns, etc. Wife can easily get in. The safe is 7 or 8 years old now.

As others said, the number of guns they hold is a joke. In all seriousness, if you want ANYTHING other than guns in the safe you need double the number of guns or more!!

My safe has personal documents, cash, handguns on the door organizer. One side is long guns (I think 8) that are crammed against each other in a space designed for 12 guns. I have no room for other guns unless I get a larger safe or remove the shelves on the other side and put those items in a smaller safe.

The other side is shelves with some personal hard drives, AR lowers and uppers on the top shelf, etc.

Liberty has a great warranty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you looked at a used safe?  Sometimes you can find a great safe in your price range.  I picked up an older Graffunder for $800.00 a few years ago.
View Quote
Is there a good place to look at a used safe? Or is Craigslist type places my best option?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
My Franklin 24 I mentioned above was a "factory second" The sales guy told me the defect was on the front of the safe and I got a very nice discount. I told them to go ahead and install the lock I wanted and deliver it.

The safe had a giant white scuff across the door. I was able to buff it out completely.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Also OP depending on where you purchase it you might deal with delivery charges. If you do they are never cheap. Take that into account.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
What you want and what you want to spend are not compatible.  You aren't going to buy a safe that you aren't going to want to upgrade soon for bargain basement prices.  Those bottom tier Liberty safes that are under $800 have a fire rating so poor that it's pointless, and that's really all a residential security container is good for.  As others have said, an 18-24 gun safe will only fit that many if they are iron sighted lever actions and single shot break open shotguns.  If you have precision bolt actions, you might get 8 in there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What you want and what you want to spend are not compatible.  You aren't going to buy a safe that you aren't going to want to upgrade soon for bargain basement prices.  Those bottom tier Liberty safes that are under $800 have a fire rating so poor that it's pointless, and that's really all a residential security container is good for.  As others have said, an 18-24 gun safe will only fit that many if they are iron sighted lever actions and single shot break open shotguns.  If you have precision bolt actions, you might get 8 in there.
View Quote
Even the top tier liberty safes aren’t exactly “fire safes.” Drywall, even multiple layers, is not the same as poured concrete amalgams.

For 800 OP isn’t getting what he wants. He might as well just get a stack on cabinet.

Or he can save for 2-3 more months (100-150 a month, and pick up a basic U.L.  RSC rated like a liberty USA. It still won’t have great fire protection (or security), but at least it’s better than nothing and it isn’t complete garbage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I would look for a centurion. I've seen a few dealers that include free delivery as long as it isn't anything complicated.

Bolted down in the back of a closet would make it harder to get in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a trade in Fat Boy jr at a liberty dealer, gave $1100.00 inc tax. Manual lock which i wanted, it is pristine. Paid a guy $325.00 to deliver and put in bedroom, it  was 109 miles one way. I'm happy
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
When I searched gun safe here there was a video from CE Safes (Florida) where the owner Curt went through a bunch of safes in different price ranges and told you why each safe was worth what you would be paying. I found that my original budget of 1500.00 was not enough to get what I wanted in a safe. I looked real hard and was ready to order a Sturdy Safe (but had to settle for not insulated, for thicker steel) for about 2500.00 and I emailed Curt and he gave me a better solution with one of his safes that is made by Ft Knox. I ended up spending about 2900.00 for a Ft. Knox M3 6026, which has 1/2” plate door, 1/4” plate body with 50 minute 1450 degree fire rating, single light system, 3 receptacles, carpeted, with a mechanical lock.
He also said that he had one in your price range in the Rhino line. Most of the safes I looked at had other than the Sturdy had thin gauge steel sides and composite doors with very thin steel in them. Just my .02

Video
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This will be my first gun safe and I honestly want to do this right the first time so that there won't be a need to upgrade later on. My budget is approximately 800 bucks max with a little wiggle room if need be. I want a mechanical lock and not an electrical one for the obvious reason of failure.

At the price I'm willing to pay, I'm just not finding a good solid(going on reviews) safe that is all mechanical. The only safes that are mechanical that have the best reviews are well out of the wiggle realm of my $800 budget.
View Quote

It's already be said, but let me reiterate that an $800 budget will not allow you to "do it right." That budget will let you buy a cheapo Chinese sheet metal safey thingy at a big box store. It will keep your contents safe from 14 year olds. Even doubling your budget won't get you much in terms of actual security. At triple your budget, you start getting into stuff that resembles real security.

If you are serious about "doing it right the first time," you'd have to spend five times your budget, minimum.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but it's reality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top