Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2019 10:37:25 AM EDT
Man, I've done so much reading on this, my head hurts. I've boiled it down to the two units, but for the life of me, I just cannot decide on which one to get. Let me give you my personal "shooting facts" to see what you all think.

-At the moment, I only plan on reloading .38 spcl, 44 spcl/mag. I may reload 9mm one day, but not any time soon given the cost of factory loads. I do not plan on reloading any rifle loads at all on either of these presses. If I ever do reload rifle, I plan on doing singe stage as I want to do small batch, precision rounds only.

-At the moment, I'll probably shoot through 1000 38 spcl and maybe 500 44 spcl this season. I plan on running cast bullets for both rounds.

-I am mechanically inclined so I'm confident I can run either machine with enough time.

-I am 100% new to reloading and have no outside help in this. I will say that I am very detail oriented, cautions and take a "plan 4 times, execute once" approach.

Here's my thoughts, first off, I'm going to have to experiment for a while. This means doing some steps over and over to get it down. The manual indexing of the 550 may come in really handy here. Second, while I may get into mass bulk loading one day, it won't be anytime soon. By the time I get there, I may just get a 650 to go along side the 550. I've read that a tooling swap is easier on the 550 vs the 650, any thoughts on this would be helpful.

I've priced the 650 and the 550 with everything I'd want (everything needed to do 38 and 44 right off the bat). I'm looking at $1250 for the 550 (no auto case loader, which I do not think is necessary with a 550). The 650, with the auto case loader is $1650, around $1400 without.

So...what do you guys think? Is the 550 fine for me? Is the 650 a better fit? If the 650 is the suggestion, is the case feeder a necessity?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll boil it down to this: I've owned the 550 for 10 years and wish I had the 650. It's 5th station can be utilized not only for reloading (powder check) but brass prep as well. Auto-indexing is also a huge bonus, plus the case feeder can be used with rifle cases without modification. If you're the least bit mechanically inclined these machines are easy to understand and operate.

The 550 is a fine machine and I can operate the heck out of mine but the 650 is of far greater value than the price difference
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is only going to be used for pistol, I would take a look at getting Dillon square deal press.  For the prices you are talking about, you could have a press for each caliber and still be money ahead.

But if it is between the 550 and 650 with your criteria, I would pick the 550.

Full disclosure I am a 550 owner
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The 550 doesn't have auto index.  The last time I checked, the setups for casefeed on the 550 were much more expensive than the 650.

I showed my neighbor my 650 in operation and then he went out and bought a 550.  Within a week, it was for sale and he now has a 650.

Nobody follows good advice.

OP, you just do you.

I had three Square Deal B presses at one time.  They aren't as stout as the 650 and the amount of rounds I put through them was a bit abusive.  I managed to break some things.  I haven't managed to break anything on a 650.

Even though you may plan to load pistol only, things change. When I loaded my first rifle rounds, I was surprised at how easy it is.  Now I load several rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Your volume it too low.   Buy a couple cases of ammo and enjoy.

That said, 650 for pistol ammo, straight wall.    I prefer the control of the 550 for rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You will wish you got the 650 if you get the 550.

I've never been disappointed by buying a nicer tool, been disappointed plenty by buying the basic....especially when it comes to things like this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good info above, including the comment about just buying a couple of cases of factory loads and going from there.  Also the SDB comment, you could get several, but it doesn't cost much more to step up from a SDB to a 550.

I have a 550 and 650.  I use the 550 for my low volume stuff, the 650 is for high volume.  I consider 1000 rounds low volume.  When I sit down to load 9mm or 40SW I load anywhere from 2K to 3K at a minimum.  Those are loaded on the 650.  A couple hundred rounds of 44 mag are loaded on the 550.  Conversions are cheaper for the low volume stuff that I load.

If you get the 650, you need to spring for the case feeder.

I like auto indexing, I feel it's safer.

Either will work and load great ammo, it's just what do you want and will the extra ~$400 hurt your budget.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
1. At your minimal shooting you could single stage and be fine.

2. 650 always 650.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It may be just internet myth or blown way out of proportion, but double charging on a 550 is possible.

The manual indexing to me is a double edged sword.  Sure you have more control over it. But if you forget..,

This can be mitigated by using a powder that fills more than half the case, a double charge would be spilling over.

I have a 650 and love the 5th station for the powder checker.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good advice, keep it coming.

I thought I'd address a few comments:

-I did think hard about the square deal loaders, one major hangup for me is the 44 special being separate from the 44 magnum.

Concerning just buying factory ammo:

-I really want to shoot more 38 as I have a modded 627 that I want to spend much more time with, the 1000 rds was very conservative. Something that is an issue is getting proper wadcutters for a good price. The absolute cheapest I've found them online is  $320 shipped or $.32/rd. I can reload for much cheaper than that.

-44 special is where the reloader really shines...on the absolute lowest end, you're looking at $500 + shipping for a case. You can reload those for WAY under $.50+/rd.

-I've been wanting a revolver in 454...that's on the $1.25-1.50/rd end. Even 45 LC is $50/rd.

I do want to get into reloading...and like you all know, you'll never reload less so this is just a start.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I own and use both

the 650 is great for large batches, like 1000 rounds

the 550 is better if you want to load, say 200 38sp, then 200 44mag, then 100 9mm's, it's quicker and cheaper to change calibers.

sounds like, at your volume, the 550 is a good choice

both are pure joy to use and own

both have excellent resale value, if you ever want to change or upgrade.

edited to add - - I would avoid the square deal, it can't do rifle, and it uses proprietary dies...with other Dillon machines, you can use LEE, Hornady, redding, ect dies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So...what do you guys think? Is the 550 fine for me? Is the 650 a better fit? If the 650 is the suggestion, is the case feeder a necessity?
View Quote
What do I think ...... The 550 is perfect for you, provided you are comfortable operating without a powder check die and/or you don't want a case feeder. ( I am on both, I am a 550 owner).

Is the 650 a better fit? ..... If you want a powder check die and/or a case feeder, the 650 is a better fit......if not, the 550 is.

If the 650 is the suggestion, is the case feeder a necessity? ...... IMO yes, it is designed to be run with a case feeder, and manually loading brass into a 650 is inefficient (as in much slower than a 550).  Do Not buy a 650 without a casefeeder.

Other thoughts .......... You are EASILY going to be able to load 300-400 pistol rounds per hour on a 550.   You are paying for more speed on the 650.  In your case, you don't need more reloading speed than the 550 gives you .....even if you significantly increase your shooting.

Other thoughts that may or may not matter to you ........The footprint/space requirement of a 550 without a casefeeder is much smaller than a 650 with a casefeeder.

Another ............ A 650 with a case feeder is noisier than a 550 without one.

Its really very simple ...... if you need a powdercheck die, or may want a case feeder someday....... get a 650 WITH a casefeeder now.

If you don't need either, get the 550 now.

It's that simple.

Don't overthink it.

Final thought ........ IF you go with the 550 now, and decide you went wrong ..... you will be likely be able to sell it for no worse than 85 cents on the dollar the day you get it, or for more than you paid for it if you keep it couple years.   Same can probably be said for the 650 ..... meaning, you really cant be wrong with either.    Call the ball and go.   Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The 650 is great.
The SDB is great, for one caliber.
The 550 is great, but FWIW, I know two guys who have thrown double charges with theirs.  Manual indexing requires all your attention.  Hell, any reloading requires that.

Really, if you can swing it, the 650.  It’ll be a pile of $ for a guy just starting out.  You can ease into it with a single stage, which is really nice to have anyway.

My SDB and 550 have served me well.  I may get a 650 soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
650 FTW
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Case feeder:

When I process rifle brass, I first deprime and then clean.  It is fast as lightning with the case feeder, all I have to do is stand there and pull the crank.

I size in a separate operation:  lube, size, it is super fast with the case feeder.

I then remove lube, swage, and trim.

The brass is then ready to load and it goes super fast with the case feeder and no sizing required.

I would absolutely hate myself if I had a single stage loader.  A low volume shooter would be perfectly happy with one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do I think ...... The 550 is perfect for you, provided you are comfortable operating without a powder check die and/or you don't want a case feeder. ( I am on both, I am a 550 owner).

Is the 650 a better fit? ..... If you want a powder check die and/or a case feeder, the 650 is a better fit......if not, the 550 is.

If the 650 is the suggestion, is the case feeder a necessity? ...... IMO yes, it is designed to be run with a case feeder, and manually loading brass into a 650 is inefficient (as in much slower than a 550).  Do Not buy a 650 without a casefeeder.

Other thoughts .......... You are EASILY going to be able to load 300-400 pistol rounds per hour on a 550.   You are paying for more speed on the 650.  Speed, which in your case, you don't need .....even if you 10 x your shooting.

The footprint of a 550 without a casefeeder is much smaller than a 650 with a casefeeder.

Its really very simple ...... if you need a powdercheck die, or may want a case feeder someday....... get a 650 WITH a casefeeder now.   If you don't need either, get the 550.    It's that simple.   Don't overthink it.

Final thought ........ IF you go with the 550 now, and decide you went wrong ..... you will be likely be able to sell it for no worse than 85 cents on the dollar the day you get it, or for more than you paid for it if you keep it couple years.   Same can probably be said for the 650 ..... meaning, you really cant be wrong with either.    Call the ball and go.   Hope this helps.
View Quote
Honestly, I feel this is my correct answer.

I have a job that requires me to do small, tedious tasks thousands of times. I thrive on tedium and procedure, reloading is right up my alley. The manual indexing does not bother me.

Another point that I've read many times is do not go 650 without the case feeder, which is fine, but you're now far more $$ than the 550.

I'm really leaning towards the 550 at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the 550 and should have gone with the 650 as I do pistol (especially 9mm) just about exclusively.

I have made a few squib loads over the years due to acts of applied stupidity.  I wish I had the 5th station powder check.

Get a good LED light for the press so you can easily see the powder in the case.  I have an LED light "bar" that is affixed with doublesided tape on the press.

As for your chosen calibers be aware you have to switch primer feeds due to the difference in primer sizes.  That can be a PITA until you get the hang of it.  Primer feeding is the only occasional hiccup I have with my 550.

I can just about guarantee you will want a single stage press as well, for things like load development and small runs.  I use my single stage all the time (for Rifle, of course, but also for oddball cartridges I don't shoot a lot of).

Don't rely exclusively on an electronic scale.  I have had a small raft of electronic scales, and for some reason I am unlucky in that regard.  I use my beam scale as a check on my go-to electronic scale (which, ironically I got as a freebie bonus from some company).

You also need dial calipers and case gauges.  The case gauges are really useful for 9mm or other cases that you might use mixed (range pickup) brass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-At the moment, I only plan on reloading .38 spcl, 44 spcl/mag. I may reload 9mm one day, but not any time soon given the cost of factory loads. I do not plan on reloading any rifle loads at all on either of these presses. If I ever do reload rifle, I plan on doing singe stage as I want to do small batch, precision rounds only.

You are laboring under the mistaken impression that a single stage will provide greater precision than a 550.

-At the moment, I'll probably shoot through 1000 38 spcl and maybe 500 44 spcl this season. I plan on running cast bullets for both rounds.

A 550 can run 500 rounds in one hour,... well, maybe 2 hours for a newbie.

-I am mechanically inclined so I'm confident I can run either machine with enough time.

Either machine is easy to use.  This is not an issue.

-I am 100% new to reloading and have no outside help in this. I will say that I am very detail oriented, cautions and take a "plan 4 times, execute once" approach.

Here's my thoughts, first off, I'm going to have to experiment for a while. This means doing some steps over and over to get it down. The manual indexing of the 550 may come in really handy here. Second, while I may get into mass bulk loading one day, it won't be anytime soon. By the time I get there, I may just get a 650 to go along side the 550. I've read that a tooling swap is easier on the 550 vs the 650, any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Unless you plan to do much. much more than you've described, a 550 will do the job nicely.  It is less expensive to start and a lot less expensive to add caliber conversions.  The manual indexing is actually a bonus, not a detriment.

I've priced the 650 and the 550 with everything I'd want (everything needed to do 38 and 44 right off the bat). I'm looking at $1250 for the 550 (no auto case loader, which I do not think is necessary with a 550). The 650, with the auto case loader is $1650, around $1400 without.

The reason to go with the 650 is to go really fast when producing high volume.  You are not doing that.  Save the money and get the 550, no case feeder needed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
On the powder check, I have one with my 650 and it hasn't been used in years.

I don't try to set any speed records with my 550 or 650.  I stand when I reload and they are mounted at a level that allows me to look in to every case.  I visually check that each case has powder in it as it's indexes.  I have a couple of bright LED lights that light up the shell plate so I can see it all.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem with my loads and have been using the Dillon's for probably 15 to 20 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to have a Square Deal B and 2 years ago sold it and bought the 650XL. I also have a 550B that I use for rifle. Both are great machines, but with the case feeder I can crank out 1k rounds in about 2-3 hours. The only thing that slows me down is keeping primer tubes full!

Go with the 650, for not that much more money you will thank yourself for buying the best first time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used to have a Square Deal B and 2 years ago sold it and bought the 650XL. I also have a 550B that I use for rifle. Both are great machines, but with the case feeder I can crank out 1k rounds in about 2-3 hours. The only thing that slows me down is keeping primer tubes full!

Go with the 650, for not that much more money you will thank yourself for buying the best first time.
View Quote
The guy needs 1,500 rounds per YEAR and it's all pistol ammo.  Any press would do - a single stage, a turret, even a Square Deal.

The reason to get the 550 is to be able to add rifle reloading later on.

A 650 with a case feeder is massive overkill.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The guy needs 1,500 rounds per YEAR and it's all pistol ammo.  Any press would do - a single stage, a turret, even a Square Deal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is overkill. But at first I didn't load that much either. This gives him room to have that extra capacity for when he starts to load more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I owned the 550, which I bought before the 650 came out.

The lack of auto index was always an annoyance. Eventually I got a 1050.

Given the choice between 550 and a 650, I'd go for the 650.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have loaded on a 550 and a 650.  I had both presses at the same time but I was using the 650.  I bought the 650 in order to get the powder check die.  No matter how careful you are it is possible to miss looking into a case.  I went

back to the 550 I found my hands movements were screwed up and I ended up selling it.  I ran the 650 for several years without a case feeder.  Loading cases on the 650 without a case feeder is still easier than on the 550.  There is a

drop tube that holds around 15 cases.  The cases are fed automatically rather than putting each case into station 1.  Refilling the drop tube provides a little break.  Note that I now have a case feeder and love it.  I find the primer change

is easier on the 550.

As a new reloader I would be inclined to use a 550 rather than a 650.  The manual indexing allows you to back up to check things or clear problems.  I feel that it much easier to learn progressive reloading on the 550.  There is a greater

sense of control with the 550.  The volumes you are mentioning are easily done on the 550.  If there is a change and the 650 becomes attractive there seems to be no problem selling the 550 at a fair price.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 I find the primer change

is easier on the 550.
View Quote
You can buy a complete primer assy fairly cheap.  It is then just as simple as changing the anvil and then two screws to swap out the whole primer assy.

When I first got my 650, I pre-inspected 9mm brass and lined them up for dumps into the case feeder.  I had ten loaded primer tubes.  I recall I had to fill powder two or three times, but I easily loaded 1000 rounds in under an hour and I wasn't going very fast.  Just smooth and consistent.

I mostly load when I am either bored or waiting for the wife.  It keeps me out of trouble.

You can easily single load, meaning just run one cartridge at a time, through a 650.  You can make it almost as slow and meticulous as any press out there. You can even remove the powder measure and add a funnel and hand fill each cartridge. I load BP .45-70 in this manner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Take the next year of shooting and use only factory new ammo w brass you’d be happy reloading.  Save the brass and see what your real volume and range of calibers is. You may be surprised.

During that year find a friend or a class with a 550/650 that will let you go hands on with one.

IMHO reloading is really it’s own hobby unless you are a true high volume shooter, in which case your question would be 650 vs 1050 (or dedicated Sq Deal for pistol cals).

If you’re a tinkerer or a hunter you might be better off with a 550 or turret where changing calibers is easier and more affordable. I have a 650 that I don’t do justice to with at my low volumes. I’m currently culling calibers and trying to only invest reloading time in the hunting rounds where reloading really pays off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My suggestion is to look at reloading from a different angle. Reloading may eventually save you money, but don't get into reloading to save money. Of course, there will be the perfunctory hammer out 500 or 1000 9mm every once in a while, but most of your time will be spent making test loads, making a small set of 80% charge, leaving a little more bullet exposed, pushing the charge to 100% (if it is a Ruger ;-) ), etc.

PS. I have had a 550 for 13 years (gosh, has it been that long??) reloading pistol and all but the resizing stage on 5.56/300 BO. I have never said, "Dang, I should have made more ammo."
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m a 650 owner and have no regrets. I’m new to reloading, also mechanically inclined so understand the machines is pretty simple.

I went with the 650 because I like the auto indexing, I plan on reloading pistol and rifle, and mostly I value my time. I can reload for an hour here and there and make a few thousand rounds and spend more time with family.

Also, you say 9mm is so cheap, give it a year when all the political crap sets off again. Factory ammo won’t be very cheap anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m a 650 owner and have no regrets. I’m new to reloading, also mechanically inclined so understand the machines is pretty simple.

I went with the 650 because I like the auto indexing, I plan on reloading pistol and rifle, and mostly I value my time. I can reload for an hour here and there and make a few thousand rounds and spend more time with family.

Also, you say 9mm is so cheap, give it a year when all the political crap sets off again. Factory ammo won’t be very cheap anymore.
View Quote
This is prime time to stock up on equipment, and mainly components.  Buy now, smile later.  Just buy.

Which reminds me, I need to buy more powder/primers/bullets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
For the $150 difference (non-case feeder option) I'd suggest the 650 over the 550.  Not enough savings to justify the 550 and you'll soon 'grow' into the capabilities of the 650. Not many (any?) reloaders I know have purchased a 650 and wished they had gotten a 550.  Seems that once reloading becomes less of a chore, people tend to shoot/reload more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The 550 would work great for for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For the $150 difference (non-case feeder option) I'd suggest the 650 over the 550.  Not enough savings to justify the 550 and you'll soon 'grow' into the capabilities of the 650. Not many (any?) reloaders I know have purchased a 650 and wished they had gotten a 550.  Seems that once reloading becomes less of a chore, people tend to shoot/reload more.
View Quote
Great comment.

The only thing I regret about buying my 650 is not buying it 20 years sooner. I didn’t buy it because I was shooting thousands of rounds a year, I bought it so I could. I shoot much more because I have it now.

- Case feeder is the best feature.
- Loads ammo as well as my single-stage. (My 77gr smk load consistently shoots 0.6moa)*
- Not just for loading ammo in a single pass. Also excellent for brass processing.
- Replace powder measure with funnel and throw measured charges for ultra-precision If needed**

*Using a tuned Lee Auto-Drum powder measure ($35)
**How I load my 600yrd competition ammo
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I have three Dillon 650s set up at all times. One does 45 and large primer stuff. One is for 9mm and small pistol stuff. The third is for 223 and Grendel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I would suggest you get a RCBS single stage kit, learn to reload, make sure you like to reload and then 'experiment' to your heart's desire for 1/4 the cash.

Get a 650 later, when volume is a goal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I only have 550s and single stage presses. So, my opinion is only what it is worth.

I spent almost 11 years loading on a single stage and a turret press. I pumped out lots of ammo in those years.

I lucked into 2 dillon 550s, one set up for large primers and one set up for small. They came with all the fixings. I have since sold my turret press.

In the last almost 2 years, I loaded up 4500 rounds of 9mm, 1000+ 38spc, 400+ 357 mag, 1000 of 45 acp, 4000+ of 223, 300+ 458 socom, 2000+ of 22 TCM and deprimed over 2500 random cases on my 550s. I have not shot everything listed, but it was all loaded on the 550s.

From what you have said, I think a 550 is right up your alley. I do wish I had a 650 for those long days of punching out 9MM or 556, but honestly, they are so very much better than loading on a turret or single stage so I don't regret what I have.

My advice, get a single stage. Learn the basics and get a 550 or 650 when you realize the value of them vs how much you are actually shooting. Or just get a 550.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:. . .

. . .
View Quote
One could make a strong case that both of those presses are overkill for your volumes. If you run batches of 500 rounds, you will be reloading 3 times a year. If you reload 100 round batches, much of the time you save running a progressive will be eaten up by caliber changeovers.

OTOH, either press can handle more volume as/if your shooting volume grows.

The 550 is a 4-hole, manual index press . . . but it's faster than one would think because your left hand is right where it needs to be to index the press.

The 650 is a 5-hole, auto-index press, which gives you more future flexibility with the number of steps you can perform in one pass.

If you can combine seating and "crimping" in one die, either press can handle a powder cop die, should you choose to use one. Powder cops present yet another device that has to be adjusted during changeovers, and some of them don't lock up the press automatically when they judge it's a bad fill. So you have to look each round, might as well train yourself (eg) to not index the 550 until your eyes have seen that the fill is correct.

The 650 sort of needs the case feeder since loading 15 cases into a tube isn't as easy for most folks as putting one case in the shell plate at a time. Look for videos showing reloading on both press . . . it's hard to find a 650 video without a case feeder to see tube-loading cases. So it's even more expensive to get the 650's "true" speed advantage over the 550. And it's another device to be adjusted during changeovers.

So it comes down to how much you want to invest in the future. Frankly, unless your reloading picture changes substantially, I don't think you can make a bad choice. If money is at all a consideration, I'd suggest the 550 . . . remember, you'll also need to front a bunch of cash to buy components in bulk to generate worthwhile savings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Get the 650 because here’s the progression.

1) Load your ammo for the year over the course of a few days.

2) Look at brass prices on gunbroker. Realize it’s stupid cheap so you stock up on more brass “just in case”. You do the same with bullets.

3) Wife goes away, you get bored and start making ammo. Now you have another 1-2k sitting there.

4) Next time at the range. “Shit why not keep pulling the trigger till I get it right” not like your running out of ammo.

5) You get better as a shooter. Soon your getting a stockpile going and burning through ammo.

6) Now your getting real good. Like lee Harvey Oswald good.

7) Win

Skip the single stage. I have the Rock Chucker which is an awesome press. Just slow. I just use it now for decapping and pulling apart mistakes.

I’m making the switch from lead to Coated bullets. No leading!

Just get the stock 650. Then start adding as you need. I still don’t have a case feeder. Planning on it but my money is tied up elsewhere right now. And I get by just fine.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to run the 650.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Op I think with the volume you are talking about you will be happy with both.

Having said that DO NOT get a 650 with out the case feeder and DO NOT put the case feeder on the 550 if you need a case feeder you need a 650.

Given your volume you do not need a 650 but may like one.  I started on a 550 then found USPSA and now have a 650 with case and bullet feeders.

Unless you are loading all 1k of 38 before changing to 44 now way I would go with 650.  Its not hard to change it over but the 550 is easier.  The 650 is best for large lots 1K+ 550 for less.  My loading over the last few months on my 650 have been 1k 30-06, 2400 38,  and Im working on 11K of 9mm  and numbers like that are 650 numbers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've had a 550 for about 20 years, never wanted a 650.

I use it for rifle rounds.

My bulk pistol rounds are loaded on 3 SDB's. Set up for 9mm, 357, and 45 ACP.

Small lots I use a Rockchucker (single stage).

Good luck with your choice.
View Quote
After loading on a SDB for a long time and enough rounds to wear out two of them (thank god for the warranty) I can honestly say I would never again load on one of those! The amount of effort to decap some brass is 2x what it is on a 550 or 650.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I always think it is better for new reloaders to start with a single stage press...  pick your favorite but I am a fan of Hornady and RCBS single stage presses.  A single stage press allows you to focus on the intricacies of each step in the process, 1 at a time...  The volume you shoot is easy to keep up with with a single stage press.  And a single stage press set up will be less $$$ than a progressive.  Once you get some experience, you might have a better idea what you really want/need...  and if you end up with a 650, you can keep the single stage press for "special purpose" applications/steps...  

Another consideration might be > The old expression is that "time is money" and I believe that that is true to a large extent...  So, if you have more time than money, go with a single stage press.  If you have more money than time, the Dillon 650 might be the right choice for you.

Cheers!

- R -

P.S.: (Show of hands)  How many progressive devotees in this thread don't have a single stage press in their reloading room?  (I'm guessing the minority)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Thing to remember is we had 8 years of the clown and ammo shortages.. That could happen again.. Rifle ammo might be cheap now.. but when you cant find it than you don't shoot..Same goes for pistol ammo.

The 8 years i made it through expect for the last two years i cut down my 22lr shooting to just hunting only.. The rest of the time i shot like i always shot.. I did finally used up like 55gr fmj  heads i purchased in the early 90's that were like 18.00 for 1000.. I had a boat load of them..

Im in the process of restocking everything once again.. Now its harder since my youngest who didn't want anything to do with firearms shoots more than I do..  Thanks to the Army.. ...

Either a 550 or a 650 would work.. 650 for caliber changes would be more.. I have a 550b that i have used for since 92.. I was looking at the 650 now due to my sons shooting.. but i still can make a lot of ammo on the 550b.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

P.S.: (Show of hands)  How many progressive devotees in this thread don't have a single stage press in their reloading room?  (I'm guessing the minority)
View Quote
I started with an RCBS RC in 84 and I still use it to this day.. Mostly for testing or deprimming cases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#44]
The OP will need extraneous equipment such as scale and other tools of the trade.

I like the suggestion of RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit.  This a great foundation.
Add a calipers, vibratory polisher, a good strong bench, and dies and shellholder you are good to go to load handgun.  
All reloaders will have a need for single stage press. And, the RC Supreme is about as good as it gets.
Most of the time it seems that RCBS has rebate program going so might find a good deal on one.  
And, if the OP does not like reloading not that big of a deal.

Despite the plethora of suggestions to jump to a 650 that is absurd.  There is too much going on for a newbe reloader.  The cost of caliber conversions is nearly double that of the 550.  The 550 can be used single stage.  It is idiotic to spend 80 bucks on conversion to load a rifle caliber that might only need 50 rounds a year.  And if it is a magnum cartridge then you are adding more money to the equation for the 650.

The versatility of the 550 out shines the 650 from a cost point of view.  And a practical point of view.  I have both a 550 and 650. Changing primer sytems of 650 is a PIA.  Unless you buy the whole priming system.  I leave mine set up for small primers and load 38/357 and 9MM
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a single stage Lee just for the oddball situation like a stubborn primer or testing a few rounds with quick adjustments.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I have loaded on all the Dillon presses including the 1050. They are all great. I personally have 3 550's and a SDB. I like reloading and have never wished that I could go faster than what my 550's will do. I can load 300-400 rounds in an hour on them and I feel that is fast enough. You could load your whole yearly rounds in 2-3 hours. Of course once you start loading you will probably start shooting more also. You will be happy with both presses but the 550 sounds like it would fit your needs just fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
You gotta have a good bench too.  Rock solid, no wiggles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:14:41 AM EDT
[#48]
If you get a 550 and want to upgrade later, they hold there value quite well- as all Dillon products do. I used 2 650s for years and sold them for more than I paid!

Normally I recommend a 650 but for your volume a 550 makes perfect sense.

You can run 1 round at a time through the machine to get comfortable with each operation, still much faster than a single-stage.

If you can make a sammich, you can load on a 550- Watch the MILF-operated 550 in action:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550c-reloader_8_1_23594.html

Good luck!

ETA- It is entirely possible to load high-quality rifle ammo on a 550 or 650. LOTS of internet BS regarding that....

ETA #2- Also contrary to popular belief, the 650 still works well without a case feeder. Drop X number of cases into the tube, pull the handle x number of times.

You can easily use sections of CPVC pipe preloaded with brass to dump into the feed tube. I remember thinking I was "Living Large" when I bought my first case feeder!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
OP why don't you get a BL550 with a case feeder and a Mr. Bullet feeder or at least a 1050?

OP don't do this I was just trying to show everyone how ludicrous everyone is being. Everyone will be happy with helping you spend "YOUR" money. They will tell you what they have, or what the would like to have.

Your best advice was given by rrbgeb, glock23c, Trollslayer, rn22723, and especially Reorx. With the amount, you reload a single stage would be fine. My seven-year-old grandson can make the amount you need in a weekend. I don't give a darn what brand you buy it will do what you need. But if you go to the "bench photo" on any Forum you will see the Hornady guys half will have a Hornady,1/4 will have a RCBS. and only 1/4 will not have a single stage press. Now the Dillon guys most will have a RCBS they think Hornady is a Dillon curse word.

After you get a single stage keep your eye open for a good deal on a progressive. I think you would be happy on this route.

Now.Mr. Reorx: My bench has 2 Hornady single stage presses 2 Lee four hole turrets. 2 Lee Loadmasters, and 4 Hornady Ammo-plants. I teach reloading. If I find that if a person likes a single stage I will send them over to a guy that loads on a RCBS, and if they like progressive I will sed them to a guy that load on 2 650s and a 1050. I really don't give a rats butt what you load on. I just want to show you the options.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now.Mr. Reorx: My bench has 2 Hornady single stage presses 2 Lee four hole turrets. 2 Lee Loadmasters, and 4 Hornady Ammo-plants. I teach reloading. If I find that if a person likes a single stage I will send them over to a guy that loads on a RCBS, and if they like progressive I will sed them to a guy that load on 2 650s and a 1050. I really don't give a rats butt what you load on. I just want to show you the options.
View Quote
VERY nice!...  I like your minimalistic approach to reloading!!!

I learned to reload on an RCBS single stage press about 40 years ago...  today, my loading is relatively small volume (~1,000 round per year) and all of it is for "precision" rifle.  I have 2 single stage presses on my loading bench.  one is a Hornady LNL Classic and the other is a cheap Lee "C" press for tasks that I don't want to dirty up my LNL Classic with (de-priming, etc.).

I think everybody interested in reloading should have at least 1 single stage press...  I think of it as a least common denominator and therefore a good place to start...  Also, later on down the road when you need/want to "downsize", if you keep only one press, it'll likely be a single stage (turrets are single stages to me) for it's compact size and versatility...

Cheers!

- R -
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top