Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2018 9:31:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Criterion.  I have over three dozen Criterion Garand barrels and I love them.

I visited the Criterion factory in Germantown, Wisconsin and they showed me their entire facility

They do extremely fine work and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Their 2018 Garand barrels are the very best ones yet.

They make several M1A/M14 barrels and I am certain that they have what you need.  Their prices are extremely reasonable and they are the best value in barrels today.

And they guarantee satisfaction.  They will go to extreme lengths to make sure that you are happy

By the way, the General Manager of the company, Stephanie Dahlke was extremely kind to Bimba and Bimba was treated like royalty.

And they even bought us lunch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wanted:  full-length, GI contour barrel, so that it will accept Aftermarket Scout mount.  Must be able to accept GI sights and flash suppressor/bayo lug.

Current BBL on SM M1A is too heavy, and will not accept Scout Scope mount.  I cannot use iron sights reliably from this point onwards, so I need optics, and so a new barrel to support same.  GI contour of new barrel is essential to support aftermarket Scout scope platform.  I have some experience with similar platform mounted on M1 Garand, so I know it's GTG for me.

High Quality bbl is desired.  I'm aware of trade-offs with plain steel/chrome lined/stainless barrels.  Installation will be done by experienced local gunsmith, or can send rifle away for installation.  Am sort of Favoring SS barrels at this point.  The re-barreled rifle will not be shot in competition.

Price IS a consideration; I want to pay the least possible amount for the most I can get, as we all do.  I know this will not be cheap, but I don't want to spend more than I need to, either.

So, your suggestions, and links, please.  And thank you in advance!
View Quote
This is one of those times that selling the gun and buying one with a gi profile barrel may be cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Criterion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's an LRB Criterion barrel for a great price (**doesn't specify short chambered so headspacing might be an issue if your bolt doesn't headspace properly**): Standard Parts 1-12 LRB barrel
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's an LRB Criterion barrel for a great price (**doesn't specify short chambered so headspacing might be an issue if your bolt doesn't headspace properly**): Standard Parts 1-12 LRB barrel
View Quote
That barrel is chrome lined and it is not short chambered.  To adjust headspace you have to play with different bolts

If your bolt is too long, you may have to lap it into place. Or you may be able to find a shorter bolt
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe the replacement of the Heavy Match bbl with a GI-contour bbl would be significantly less that buying another rifle.  All of the parts that I can identify on my rifle, excepting receiver and barrel are USGI, and with very low usage.  Everything works properly, so I'm not interested in buying another M1A and seeing what happens.  I understand your point, and hope you can see mine as well.
View Quote
I do see your point. I was thinking a plane jane rifle and then swap the usgi parts that you want, then sell the other one off. Figured at most might cost $150 to do it that way.

Quoted:
OTOH, I could just dis-mount the barrel, and have the section that is too wide in diameter (won't accept Scout Scope mount) turned down on a lathe.  That would probably be the simplest and least expensive option of all--if it's possible to do.  I'll ask the gunsmith.
View Quote
Yes, this is another valid option and a goood machinist should be able to do this pretty quick and cheaply.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top