Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2018 7:47:13 PM EDT
Got the stamp for my 5.56 can and now I would like to get one for my 9mm Glock.  Is there any one can that is real popular?  I am looking in the $600 range.  I did like the units that have the dual configuration.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got the stamp for my 5.56 can and now I would like to get one for my 9mm Glock.  Is there any one can that is real popular?  I am looking in the $600 range.  I did like the units that have the dual configuration.
View Quote
Ghost M or Obsidian or Tirant M
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ghost M or Obsidian or Tirant M
View Quote
I would buy them in this order:

1) Obsidian 45
2) Griffin Revolution (gen 3) 45
3) Ghost M

I'm leaving the TiRant off specifically because the parent company is bankrupt after nearly a decade of defecating on every manufacturer they acquired.  I also left SilencerCo off the list even though I own the Octane 45 and like it (after a few modifications).  Why buy a .45 suppressor?  Because less back pressure and greater expansion area.  Also, if you ever decide to shoot 300 Blackout, 45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Magnum, etc., you are set.  The actual diameter of the hole is not as important as you might think.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1) Obsidian 45
3) Ghost M

I'm leaving the TiRant off specifically because the parent company is bankrupt...though I own the Octane 45 and like it (after a few modifications).
View Quote
I personally don't want to punish the child because of the parent's actions, but am curious:

What modifications did you do to the Octane 45?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What would you recommend Silencerco do to make the Octane 45 better?  A modular design is the most obvious aspect their competitors have going for them, as well as self aligning baffles.  And I agree the large bore works well on sub-calibers and affords a degree of safety against baffle strikes on crappy threaded hosts, or with new shooters who don't always check for the can backing off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1) Obsidian 45
3) Ghost M

I'm leaving the TiRant off specifically because the parent company is bankrupt after nearly a decade of defecating on every manufacturer they acquired.  I also left SilencerCo off the list even though I own the Octane 45 and like it (after a few modifications).  Why buy a .45 suppressor?  Because less back pressure and greater expansion area.  Also, if you ever decide to shoot 300 Blackout, 45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Magnum, etc., you are set.  The actual diameter of the hole is not as important as you might think.
View Quote
I was basing recommendations off mechanics. While AAC/ Remington might have their problems as a company the Tirant series is quiet as hell. Only in recent times have new manufacturers been able to accomplish the level of performance that AAC did with the Tirant almost a decade ago.

I tend to go the other way and prefer a dedicated solution in regards to caliber. That and the modular 9mm silencers offer a near "micro" [4.8-6"] configuration in addition to their full length. The .45 cans simply don't offer that.

My top 3 list if I had nothing and were buying today for a 9mm handgun as my only concern?
Obsidian 9
Tirant 9M
Griffin Rev 9
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with the revo 9 after looking at the options, still waiting on the ATF so I can’t say if it’s good yet.

Currently own a octane 45 for pistol, and wanted a modular can to try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I personally don't want to punish the child because of the parent's actions, but am curious:  What modifications did you do to the Octane 45?
View Quote
So, it's not punishing anybody.  This is a business and AAC's future is questionable.  What is the likelihood we'll continue to get any support from them?

As for the Octane 45, I cut a notch for an AR-15 spanner wrench so that I can cinch the can down a bit and remove it easier.  Also allows me to remove the piston housing during cleaning and drop it in the tumbler with the baffles, piston, and spring.  Also have 3D printed end cap tool and baffle alignment rod and homemade fixed barrel spacer.  So, technically only one mod: the notch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I personally don't want to punish the child because of the parent's actions, but am curious:
View Quote
It is about future support. Lots of folks are stuck with cans and no chance at mounts, pistons, and customer support. Threads looking for legacy parts to MFGs long gone pop up every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
omega 9k
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
omega 9k
View Quote
Not sure I'd buy a sealed suppressor for centerfire pistol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
you shooting unjacketed 9mm?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would a few 300blk knock the buildup out?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, yes, but that's not the only reason to buy a SERVICEABLE suppressor from a company that is not dying.  Consider the weight penalty between the Omega 9K and, for instance, the Obsidian or Revolution in their K configuration.  Don't go by quoted weights, either, because SiCo publishes their weight without the mounting system.

Quoted:
Would a few 300blk knock the buildup out?
It doesn't work that way.  Lead and carbon layers deposited by low-pressure loads do not get 'blown out' by high pressure loads.  The reason rifle cans don't get filled is that you are exclusively shooting high-pressure loads.  Once it's there, it's there.  I'm not saying that it's not a good can, just sealed. It has its niche, but the OP also was asking about 9mm cans for a Glock, not .300 BLK cans that can double as 9mm cans.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Rugged Obsidian 9.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, yes, but that's not the only reason to buy a SERVICEABLE suppressor from a company that is not dying.  Consider the weight penalty between the Omega 9K and, for instance, the Obsidian or Revolution in their K configuration.  Don't go by quoted weights, either, because SiCo publishes their weight without the mounting system.

It doesn't work that way.  Lead and carbon layers deposited by low-pressure loads do not get 'blown out' by high pressure loads.  The reason rifle cans don't get filled is that you are exclusively shooting high-pressure loads.  Once it's there, it's there.  I'm not saying that it's not a good can, just sealed. It has its niche, but the OP also was asking about 9mm cans for a Glock, not .300 BLK cans that can double as 9mm cans.
View Quote
Some weights using a cheap Chinese scale...these are all with 1/2x28 piston/spring/cap:
Omega 9k:  9.01 oz
Obsidian 45 short:  11.19 oz
TiRant 9s:  6.2 oz

@OP
I really like the TiRant 9s...not a Glock...but hoping you get the idea regarding the size:
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some weights using a cheap Chinese scale...these are all with 1/2x28 piston/spring/cap:
Omega 9k:  9.01 oz
Obsidian 45 short:  11.19 oz
TiRant 9s:  6.2 oz
View Quote
Thanks.  For an apples:apples configuration, the 9K is listed as about 1.5 ounces lighter, so well within the Omega 9K ballpark.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Second this. Use it on my G17.3 exclusively and it's been great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the helpful info.  I ordered a Rugged Obsidian 9.  The size and price, modular design and your inputs and some youtube reviews made the selection easy.  The nice thing is that I can always buy another one for the collection.  
Does anyone have a preferred place to buy some Glock threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
My Ti-Rant 9M works well on both my Glock and Scorpion pistols.

It’s light weight and has very good sound suppression in both the short and long configuration.

I’m using a Lone Wolf Alpha barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
omega 9k
View Quote
I second this. I have them all. The ghost, Obsidian, octane and osprey and guess what can I use on all my 9mm pistols. Yep the Omega 9k. It's short. It's light and its quiet.

Also great on 300blackout and right at home on an uzi.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I second this. I have them all. The ghost, Obsidian, octane and osprey and guess what can I use on all my 9mm pistols. Yep the Omega 9k. It's short. It's light and its quiet.

Also great on 300blackout and right at home on an uzi.
View Quote
Do you prefer your Ghost and Obsidian in their full or short?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you prefer your Ghost and Obsidian in their full or short?
View Quote
Always short unless its not hearing safe. After a while I stopped chasing DB's and started moving to what is easier, shorter and lighter. I really only run the ghost on my fnx 45. After you clean it its really loud short. After about 50 rounds its really quiet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the helpful info.  I ordered a Rugged Obsidian 9.  The size and price, modular design and your inputs and some youtube reviews made the selection easy.  The nice thing is that I can always buy another one for the collection.  
Does anyone have a preferred place to buy some Glock threaded barrels.
View Quote
I prefer factory threaded barrels if you can find them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top