Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2019 12:19:55 PM EDT
I'm looking for advice in case I missed something in how I have my cameras pointed.

General information - My neighbor to the north has a fence.  I have a fence on the east side of the yard.  The field behind my house will have houses in it within 2 years but there will always be a big ditch between my house and that field.  The road on the south side is a dead end at that ditch.  I don't think they will ever add culverts and fix it due to drainage issues.

North side of house - The camera pointing west will cover the only 2 windows on that side.
West side of house - The front of the house has the front door (obviously) and windows along the front as well.  Since it is not a straight line, cameras pointing both directions should cover everything.
South side of house - The camera pointing east should cover cars pulling into the driveway and anyone walking around on the sidewalk.  I added the camera pointing west to cover the driveway (pick up license plates) and see some of the road.
East side of house - The camera pointing north covers 3 windows in the back
Courtyard - That's the "cutout" you see on the east side and probably needs more than 1 camera.  It has two French doors leading to the living room and two doors leading to the master bedroom.  I could add a 2nd camera for better coverage.

If I add a 2nd camera on the courtyard, that would be the all the system can handle and I can't add one pointing towards the street in front of the house.  Although, the only interesting thing has been a car hitting my mailbox a few years ago.

Is my thought process clear?  I thought about a Ring (or similar) doorbell to cover people walking up onto the porch.  Any additional advice would be helpful.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done three camera installs so far. This is exactly how I did my second and third install, except I added in the entire range of view (88 degrees for my cameras, IIRC).

Personally, I would buy/upgrade to a 16 camera NVR. While you can get a really good idea of what the cameras will capture with the above method, it's very different to actually see what the cameras see until they're up. Having a 16 camera system allows you to include cameras in points that you never thought you would need (I've had to add 1 camera to each system after having all the ones I thought I needed up).

Another tip, when adding the view angles, you don't need all the cameras to cover every single area, I personally put cameras on each point of entry, so if anyone was attempting entry you could see. The backyard, I have a rather large blind spot, I could see people come on to the property, but then they'd disappear (just flat ground) for a while, before showing up at the back patio/pool.

My biggest suggestion is to have a bigger system than you think you need, my mom only has an 8 camera NVR, and we will be maxing it out at her new property, and unfortunately will not have 100% coverage.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This was a black Friday purchase over a year ago so I'm stuck with 8 cams.  After I started working on placement, I found out that more than 8 cameras would be very, very nice.

I'm going to take your advice and not worry about 100% coverage of the property.  I'll try to cover all points of entry and what I think are the primary paths into my property that the average criminal would use.  At least they don't know the viewing angles and hopefully any camera would be a deterrent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance of getting some conduit trenched in the ground to the road? I’d shoot cameras up and down the Main Street to try to collect plate data. Trenching is pretty easy to do and you look like you’d be under the 100 meter PoE length. You’d only need to go down maybe 8-12 inches. Plastic ENT conduit is cheap and pull boxes are pretty easy to set up.

I went with total coverage of every ground level window and door.  Plus most of my yard covered. It took 25 cameras to do mine on two 16 channel NVR’s. All are 4K cameras with 32TB of storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top