Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2018 4:24:04 PM EDT
I have a few gen 3nv setups and a thermal unit but I don't have a clip on. I like the thermal for detection but I'd like to be able to identify stuff further out and even shoot at it. Say 100-350yds. Based on my budget I've been looking at the armasight gen 2+ clip ons and I was wondering what I could realistically expect with it? I'm used to my sentinels and didn't what to have a major let down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Say 100-350yds. Based on my budget I've been looking at the armasight gen 2+ clip ons and I was wondering what I could realistically expect with it?
View Quote
I just recently sold my armasight gen 2 HD clip on. You can definitely get that distance WITH an illuminator. But honestly, I would try to save for a good gen 3 clip on. In my experience, I really don't think the gen 2 clip ons are worth the duckets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't give retail for one of the Gen2 Armasight units, BUT if you're getting a deal on a clean used unit, they're not bad...

I have a Gen2+ White Phosphor CO-MR Armasight unit that was my only clipon for a few years.  It's a little limited but certainly useful.  I've moved to a Gen3 PVS-30 as my primary but the Armasight still gets use when taking friends hunting and they get quite a few hogs and yotes with it.  Here are my thoughts:

1) Definitely get a good IR Illuminator - it makes or breaks a Gen2 unit.  I use a TNVC Torch Pro II (often with a 3x PVS Magnifier) and it can turn useless conditions into kills.

2) Don't have unrealistic expectations.  I think my longest kill with the Armasight was just under 300yds (coyote) but that was near ideal conditions (good moon, illuminator in play and contrasting background).  I can't count the number of hogs, yotes, skunks and other varmints inside 200yds, though.

3) Specific to the Armasight unit - I actually like the build of the units.  It's rugged enough that I hunted with it for a couple years and it's still like new.  The controls are simple and functional, the focus function works great and is simple, as is the gain control.  The included remote fob is a nice touch that I wish my -30 had.  It's light enough without feeling like a "toy", when I'm using it on my suppressed .22 bolt gun (no rails) I can attach it directly to the objective of the scope no problem.  It's very compact as well compared to a -30 or similar.

4) Gen3 IS a true generational leap in performance, BUT it's a generational PRICE leap as well.  However, if size/weight aren't a huge factor with the type of shooting you do, you can likely get into a G3 AN-PVS-9 SIMRAD for less than the cost of a G2 Armasight and have extremely high performance.

I've been hunting coyotes all week with the -30 and REAP-IR.  Tonight I'll bring the Armasight along and get some thru-the-scope pics side by side with the -30.  It's open fields with cattle scattered around so distance comparisons should be informative.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
That's for the help. So it would be a noticable difference in distance between the gen 2&3?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't waste my money on an Armasight clip on. For around $2K you can get into a Simrad PVS-9 which nothing else performs due to the giant lens. They're awesome. Or for a little over $4000 you can get a PVS-30 refurb.

With deals like that on the market buying a low end unit like Armasight for the same money is just foolish.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
While the price of the simrad is appealing, having a 55gal drum on top of my scope isn't.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the price of the simrad is appealing, having a 55gal drum on top of my scope isn't.
View Quote
Good point
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
They arent that bad, plus having the controls right there is one big advanatge of those units. Versus monkey arming forward mounted clip ons. Plus the balance near the center of the rifle makes them "seem" lighter when moving. The choice is between 55gal drum hanging on the end vs the balance point. Range wise they are more than good enough for 350yds.

As for armasight, ive got the same thing he has in a co-x and earlier poster is right on about them. All clip ons benefit from supplemental IR but its more noticable on the gen2. And i wouldnt pay new prices for em, I got mine under 1k and its good enough for what it is.

The PVS 30 or 27 are great units but significantly more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I figured I would regret the gen 2 so I bought the gen 3 co-x in the ee. Looking forward to using it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I figured I would regret the gen 2 so I bought the gen 3 co-x in the ee. Looking forward to using it.
View Quote
I was lusting after that, but don’t have nearly the funding necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The Simrads size is what makes it out perform all the others. Never have I needed to use an illuminator with a KN203. With one of my PVS-30’s or CNVD-LR I have to use an illuminator in all but the absolute best lighting conditions. The illuminator is more weight and bulk on the gun, plus more cost.

The Simrad isn’t THAT big though and weighs just a touch less than a PVS-30. It feels far lighter on the weapon though because of how it sits back over the optic and doesn’t make the gun nose heavy and doesn’t change the balance point. The Simrad also has the easiest controls to reach of all of the clip ons too.

Another advantage it has is the external adjustments. Unlike all the other clip ons, if it ever falls out of collimation you adjust it yourself with a screwdriver and don’t have to send it in to be worked on and pay a hefty service charge.

If the size is an issue there’s a smaller Simrad (KN253) that is significantly smaller and 1.4lbs lighter but you do give up some of the light performance that makes the Simrad so great. The 253 will still out perform a 30 or 24 significantly without illumination but the 27 has and edge on it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't waste my money on an Armasight clip on. For around $2K you can get into a Simrad PVS-9 which nothing else performs due to the giant lens. They're awesome. Or for a little over $4000 you can get a PVS-30 refurb.

With deals like that on the market buying a low end unit like Armasight for the same money is just foolish.
View Quote
I concur, everything that I've felt from Armasight seemed to have a toyish build quality to it.  I bought PVS-30s first, then got SIMRADs, then sold my PVS-30s.  The image produced by the SIMRAD was legitimately better than the 30 (and the 30 was awesome don't get me wrong), and also I basically didn't need an illuminator anymore except for eye shine.  Slight exaggeration, I still love my illuminators, they just aren't as necessary anymore.  Also, it is MUCH cheaper and the controls are easily manipulated w/o breaking position.  That was my biggest gripe w/ standard clip-ons, you need ape arms to adjust focus w/o moving yourself and the gun.  I am starting a rifle project doing a 1000 yd for <$1000, which should also be a 1000 yd at NIGHT rifle for <$3000.  Should be fun, my Aero M5E1 6.5 Creedmoor is easy to shoot that far but all told it was a lot more money and weighs 15 lb w/o NV.

As far as expectations, a good quality gen 3 clip-on w/ a decent tube and fast optics will let you see clearly MUCH, MUCH further than 350 yd.  I hope the one you have coming works well for you!  I've never used a gen 2 clip-on, but based on my experience w/ other gen 2 systems I can't imagine it being anywhere near ideal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top