Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been stuck in FBI BGC for at least 2 moths, probably more.
Check cashed date was early Feb 2018.

Who would be the best congressman to contact for Arizona?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Update on where I'm at.  My rep has been quick and has contacted me most every day with something.  He is working with both a FBI and a NFA/ATF liaison.  FBI said he saw no credit check under my info and needed a NTN number.  I contact my first NFA Examiner and she said they're not supposed to give it out.  I passed that on to my rep.  NFA/ATF Liaison I believe couldn't do much either.  So...  I called back to check status and my other examiner said he had no problem with giving my NTN numbers.  Since I have provided that Info to my local rep I haven't heard back in two days.  I am hoping this means stuff is getting handled.  Fingers crossed.

Also, I've been in backgound check purgatory since February according to my examiner.

Hope to have good news next week.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:
Update on where I'm at.  My rep has been quick and has contacted me most every day with something.  He is working with both a FBI and a NFA/ATF liaison.  FBI said he saw no credit check under my info and needed a NTN number.  I contact my first NFA Examiner and she said they're not supposed to give it out.  I passed that on to my rep.  NFA/ATF Liaison I believe couldn't do much either.  So...  I called back to check status and my other examiner said he had no problem with giving my NTN numbers.  Since I have provided that Info to my local rep I haven't heard back in two days.  I am hoping this means stuff is getting handled.  Fingers crossed.

Also, I've been in backgound check purgatory since February according to my examiner.

View Quote
They do a credit check?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:
They do a credit check?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They do a credit check?
^^^ WTF, over? .gov doesn't care what my FICO score is when I pay my other taxes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops....   background check was what I meant.

They do a credit check?
View All Quotes

They do a credit check?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I have it officially in court documents filed by DOJ on behalf of FBI that the FBI's official position is no appeals for BGC denials for NFA. my goal is to change that.
View Quote
That is awesome but I think this is a different scenario.

Excessive time for a BGC is the issue here.
Even after approved for NFA items you have do another BGC before picking it up. That one takes minutes in most cases.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]

I get that it's different. My understanding from what I've been told is that after 88 days of processing the BGC is automatically denied even if it is a delay.
View Quote
I didn't know that!

What I gather from this thread is the reason for the delay is they get 'lost' in a drawer somewhere/put on the back burner.
A double BGC is BS anyway!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Not at the federal level. You may have a state/local law that causes that, but it's not part of the NFA process.
View Quote
Is a NICS not federal?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]

I get that it's different. My understanding from what I've been told is that after 88 days of processing the BGC is automatically denied even if it is a delay.
View Quote
I've heard that as well, I had 2 form 4's hit pending background check in May, and 2 more in June. I contacted my congressman's office and through whatever magic they perform the FBI completed my background check the next day (10/23), so all forms were well past 88 days

That's not to discourage you from fighting the good fight. I and many others appreciate all of your efforts. For real, I <3 you, no homo
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:
Is a NICS not federal?
View Quote
It is and it isn't. They're using the same system but not the same process.

They don't think it be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:57:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLunyATL] [#15]

Was it 88 days post BGC or post cashing the check?  I'm genuinely interested because the time frames are all over the map. Maybe they just started holding delays instead of auto denial?  I don't know that answer.
View Quote
First 2, check cashed 12/16/17, pending background check early May. Second 2, check cashed 2/4/18, pending background check late June. Finally approved 10/26/18 after getting my congressman's office involved.

ETA I'd heard 88 days post flagging on the instant NICS check, thus putting you in "pending background check" status. When I picked up my cans Monday I talked to someone at Quiet Riot @QRFjake who mentioned something about after 90 days it tossed back in the loop. I don't remember details because I was giddy about picking up my cans. Maybe he can chime in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have it officially in court documents filed by DOJ on behalf of FBI that the FBI’s official position is no appeals for BGC denials for NFA. my goal is to change that.
View Quote
Denials based on what?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RLunyATL:
First 2, check cashed 12/16/17, pending background check early May. Second 2, check cashed 2/4/18, pending background check late June. Finally approved 10/26/18 after getting my congressman's office involved.

ETA I'd heard 88 days post flagging on the instant NICS check, thus putting you in "pending background check" status. When I picked up my cans Monday I talked to someone at Quiet Riot @QRFjake who mentioned something about after 90 days it tossed back in the loop. I don't remember details because I was giddy about picking up my cans. Maybe he can chime in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RLunyATL:

Was it 88 days post BGC or post cashing the check?  I'm genuinely interested because the time frames are all over the map. Maybe they just started holding delays instead of auto denial?  I don't know that answer.

Same here. From the first time I was told Pending BGC to the last time I was told Pending BGC (before approval) was well over 100 days.

I have no idea how long it was already Pending BGC when I first called and I didnt even call the last month or so before approval so likely closer to 200 days
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#19]
Originally Posted By smithc6:
Denials based on what?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smithc6:
I have it officially in court documents filed by DOJ on behalf of FBI that the FBI’s official position is no appeals for BGC denials for NFA. my goal is to change that.
Denials based on what?
You don't know what NICS checks get denied for?

They're listed on a 4473
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RLunyATL] [#20]
Delete
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve heard the 88 days thing too.  From several places.  I’m almost 3x past that time and both my examiners stated I’m not denied, just pending.

my fingers are crossed I get good news this week.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#22]
Almost every person in this thread that has had the "Pending FBI Background Check" status has sat in that status for well over 88 days (sometimes 3x that amount) and then still eventually gotten approved.

As far as I can remember there has only been one lone report in this thread of someone's BGC getting the auto-delete 88 day treatment.

So it's pretty safe to say that whatever purgatory the FBI is using for these, they're finding a way to make sure they don't get the auto delete. The timelines for being in BGC check status (after ATF wait time) still seems to be around an additional 4-8 months, which is putting people who win this wonderful lottery at total wait times or around 8-14 months.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]
When I go to pick up an NFA item I have to fill out a 4473.
In my case I have a CCW so they don't have to call it in.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#25]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Got it now, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I cant find who the congressman is for florida to contact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DaddyFreddy:
I cant find who the congressman is for florida to contact. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
View Quote
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Got it yesterday. Check cashed in December. I had to contact ATF leadership. It was stuck in BGC for like 6 months. Apparently, it wasn’t on the FBI, but ATF not doing their part because BGC was completed for some time
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I blogged about the filing in the NFA appeals case:

http://www.sdslaw.us/single-post/2018/11/12/Do-NICS-appeals-finally-have-a-timeline

the filing is attached and you can read the FBI's position that they will not process NFA NICS appeals.
View Quote
So whats the deal with the 60 days then?

The attorney general will overrule the NICS check?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Is a NICS not federal?
View Quote
NICS is not required for NFA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

NICS is not required for NFA.
View Quote
Should tell that to the ATF so we all don't keep getting stuck waiting for 6 extra months...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Should tell that to the ATF so we all don't keep getting stuck waiting for 6 extra months...
View Quote
1) ATF does not run NICS, FBI does.
2) NICS is initiated by your FFL, if your FFL is initiating NICS on NFA, fire your FFL and get a new one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:26:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#38]

1) ATF does not run NICS, FBI does.
2) NICS is initiated by your FFL, if your FFL is initiating NICS on NFA, fire your FFL and get a new one.
View Quote
1. I don't think anyone in this thread thinks the ATF does the NICS check.

2. What does that have to do with anything?

This thread is about those who get stuck in Pending BGC while the ATF waits for the FBI to clear forms that don't get an instant NICS approval . Yes, we all understand the FBI does the NICS check
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#39]

This thread is about those who get stuck in Pending BGC while the ATF waits for the FBI to clear forms that don't get an instant NICS approval . Yes, we all understand the FBI does the NICS check
View Quote
One more time, there is no NICS check for NFA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#40]
What's going on in West Virginia this morning? Just tried to call twice and got immediate busy signals
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I just posted my updates to the tracking thread at the top of this forum.  310 days from mailing to stamps received.  Three Form 4 silencers on a trust.  Not my first by a long stretch - but first since having the rules changes for fingerprints required.

In short, I submitted in early January this year.  As of July, I was already In FBI Background Check status.
At the beginning of October, I contacted my TX Senators and Representative.  I had some back and forth with a couple of them for a week or so.  I did not get a final response from any of them after a couple of weeks.
On October 26th, I called the ATF for status again and was told that my FBI background check was back - and they did not know why it had not been picked up to be processed by my examiner - but they would push it on to their desk now.
I was approved on Oct 31st - and have received my stamps a couple weeks later.  Longest wait for any NFA I have ever experienced.

I don't know for sure whether the contact to my congressmen was of help or not - but it did seem all shake loose just three weeks after starting that contact.

FWIW
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
You might want to exit this thread.

The ATF does indeed send off for a NICS check at the end of processing for NFA items - the recent complications of which is the subject of this entire thread lol.
This has absolutely nothing to do with your individual FFL holder - and yes, there's no reason for individual FFLs to be initiating NICS checks on NFA items.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I called a little over an hour ago and the call went right thru as normal.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By randymoore:
I just posted my updates to the tracking thread at the top of this forum.  310 days from mailing to stamps received.  Three Form 4 silencers on a trust.  Not my first by a long stretch - but first since having the rules changes for fingerprints required.

In short, I submitted in early January this year.  As of July, I was already In FBI Background Check status.
At the beginning of October, I contacted my TX Senators and Representative.  I had some back and forth with a couple of them for a week or so.  I did not get a final response from any of them after a couple of weeks.
On October 26th, I called the ATF for status again and was told that my FBI background check was back - and they did not know why it had not been picked up to be processed by my examiner - but they would push it on to their desk now.
I was approved on Oct 31st - and have received my stamps a couple weeks later.  Longest wait for any NFA I have ever experienced.

I don't know for sure whether the contact to my congressmen was of help or not - but it did seem all shake loose just three weeks after starting that contact.

FWIW
View Quote
Almost exact same situation here. My Form 4 Trust went "pending" early January 2018. Then, into the black hole we all know as "pending FBI background check" early July 2018. Being a Texas Resident, I've contacted Sen Ted Cruz office via his website yesterday with no response back as of yet.

Quick question, which congress critters office were you working with? I may need to go that route should Cruz office prove unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

You're completely and utterly wrong. Why do you think some of us were able to get an NTN?

While the ATF should NOT be conducting a NICS check for NFA registrations, they are. There's zero legal requirement for the ATF to do this. One could argue its needed for the actual transfer, however that could be done just like any other firearm transaction.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#46]
PM'd you the information.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Is 260 days since they received my form long enough to contact my shitty reps?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#48]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

View All Quotes

You might want to ask Santa for some reading comprehension.

My answer, along with BigWaylon, was in response to this initial question:

Even after approved for NFA items you have do another BGC before picking it up. That one takes minutes in most cases.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fettesbrotde:
You're completely and utterly wrong.
View Quote
Another one who needs to ask Santa for reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#50]

My answer, along with BigWaylon, was in response to this question:

View All Quotes

My answer, along with BigWaylon, was in response to this question:

Got it. Wasn't clear to me what you were responding to because of the single quotes. My mistake.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top