Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2018 9:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Old_Painless]
Hi guys, New guy here. Just bought my first rifle and because of the fact the gun ownership is new to me I just want to hear some recommendations for maintaining.

I bought the Tikka T3 Hunter, haven't shot it yet but was going to take it out this weekend which brings me to my first question.

What should I do before shooting it this weekend??

So this will get me out to shoot a few shots, hopefully get a box of ammo through before heading out for deer,

Is there anything I should do while going through a box of ammo, I have read posts of new gun ownership and the breaking in people do, is this required? Cleaning after ever third shot and stuff, sounds over kill but I bought this gun to last a lifetime.

And once I get home what steps do I have to take to ensure it won't rust, cleaning and oiling of all metal parts, drying of the stock, treatment of the wood?

If there is anything else people can recommend please lay it on me, like I said this is my first gun, got into hunting because I have a few friend that do it every year, not something I grew up with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:52:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveP1] [#1]
You should have received an owners/new owners manual or booklet with the gun and it should outline how that gun should be broke in.  Also you might want to ask your questions about a new bolt action rifle in the rifle section, this section is pretty much devoted to the AR platform rifles.

Congrats on your new rifle, you will enjoy it.

Bolt Action Rifle Section
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 2:47:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BarrettBoy] [#2]
Is this your first firearm, as in first ever?

#1- pretty obvious, but memorize and follow the basic rules of firearm safety down cold

-Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
-Keep the gun pointed in the safest possible direction
-Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
-Know your target, its surroundings and beyond.

Before hitting the range with a new gun, I generally like to get familiar with the manual of arms so I'm not figuring out how things work for the first time at a live range.
Also get familiar with the takedown, and give it a good cleaning and lubing.

This is also pretty obvious and I'm not sure if it even needs saying, but make sure you have a scope or some kind of aiming device, and make sure it's properly installed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you ever been hunting before?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I recommend taking hunters ed if you haven't done so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont store it inside a rifle bag.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as breaking the barrel in, I ignore all manufacturer instructions.  They have this long, drawn out process of shoot, clean, shoot, clean, shoot, clean.  Right, because that's SO easy to do at a public range.  F that.  Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.  Then clean when you get home.  Boom, done.  Just make sure to add a few drops of lube to the action before you shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dan1477] [#8]
Yeah, don't overdo the cleaning. If you're scrubbing the bore with a copper brush every 3rd shot it'll wear down the bore in the long run.

I am a huge fan of boresnakes. They're gentler on your bore and make cleaning a snap. Get one for your caliber, spray it with your oil of choice, and pull it through.

I personally clean my rifles every 3rd range trip, depending on roundcount. But, how often YOU do it depends on storage conditions. If you live in muggy Florida and have no A/C, your rifle will rust if you don't oil it after use.

But if you live in Arizona (or have a gunsafe with a dehumidifier) then excessive oiling is not required. On one of my AKs I have well over 2000 rounds through it with no cleaning. It's bone dry and I have zero issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 6:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#9]
Nevermind..
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:50:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#10]
Pretty well covered. Do clean it well. Also agree with try some different brand and bullet weights to see what your rifle likes. I done the break in routine with some rifles and not with others. Not convinced it makes much difference. Good choice on the Tikka
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, one piece cleaning rod and a guide for your rifle..You only clean a barrel from the chamber end toward the muzzle..
Never ever drag anything from the muzzle end..
never ever put            oil/grease in the chamber, clean it out and dry //    ?//
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By slainejude113:
Hi guys, New guy here. Just bought my first rifle and because of the fact the gun ownership is new to me I just want to hear some recommendations for maintaining.

I bought the Tikka T3 Hunter, haven't shot it yet but was going to take it out this weekend which brings me to my first question.

What should I do before shooting it this weekend??
View Quote

I always run a wet patch down the bore & then a few dry ones. Make sure the bore is clean, IOW.

Is there anything I should do while going through a box of ammo, I have read posts of new gun ownership and the breaking in people do, is this required? Cleaning after ever third shot and stuff, sounds over kill but I bought this gun to last a lifetime.
View Quote

I've done both ways. I've swabbed the bore after each shot for the first 10rds or so. I've done the swab-it-once-before-shooting-it routine as well. With a Tika, *I* would baby it as it's a damn good gun.

And once I get home what steps do I have to take to ensure it won't rust, cleaning and oiling of all metal parts, drying of the stock, treatment of the wood?
View Quote

Clean it & oil it. Remove the bolt, remove the stock/fore end to oil under the wood. Stocks are sealed from the factory but you can use some wood treatment to preserve it if you want.

If there is anything else people can recommend please lay it on me, like I said this is my first gun, got into hunting because I have a few friend that do it every year, not something I grew up with.
View Quote

NEVER use corrosive or steel case ammo in it, IMO. A bolt action isn't worried too much with steel cases like a semi is, but why bother, IMO? Corrosive ammo will eat your bore.

Enjoy your rifle!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Tech Tip: Tikka T3x Bolt Maintenance 101

I have a friend who experienced light primer strikes with his Tikka during a hunt, extremely frustrating. It seems to be relatively common. This video shows what to do to prevent/fix the issue.

I'd also run a dry patch down the bore prior to the initial firing.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaveP1:
You should have received an owners/new owners manual or booklet with the gun and it should outline how that gun should be broke in.  Also you might want to ask your questions about a new bolt action rifle in the rifle section, this section is pretty much devoted to the AR platform rifles.

Congrats on your new rifle, you will enjoy it.

Bolt Action Rifle Section
View Quote

FPNI

The Owners Manual should tell you what, if anything, you should do for break-in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Gentlemen the original post is 5 years old.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
Gentlemen the original post is 5 years old.
View Quote

Well, mebbe he hasn't shot it yet?          
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top