Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 7:02:18 PM EDT
Does anyone know how fabrics, etc are tested for NIR compliance?

Seems like the whole process of making a textile NIR compliant and testing for it is hush hush.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's "hush hush" because it's more pseudo-science than real science.

The NIR spectrum is just light...in a wavelength humans can't see without assistance. In the visible spectrum, you want camo that reflects light similar to how your surroundings reflect light (i.e., if you're in a bright empty desert, you want light tan colored clothes that reflect the same wavelength and amount of light as the surrounding sand...wearing black that doesn't reflect at all makes you stand out). The same applies to hiding from devices looking in the NIR spectrum...if you reflect too much you're bright white, and if you reflect too little you're solid black.

I did a bunch of experiments years ago with various pieces of gear and treatments in front of a cheap webcam (setup a MOLLE panel with a lot of different pouches). Spray paints tend to make things non-reflective (black). Fabrics that are vat dyed (not printed) tend to have some slight variations in reflectivity and retain their pattern, but not always...rothco's woodland BDU's retained their pattern in NIR but most of the multicam gear I had was an almost solid highly-reflective blob. Rite dye didn't have any noticeable effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top