Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2019 9:16:04 AM EDT
What are the current rules/regulations/laws regarding storage of NFA items at a residence not of your own? So far I know that one needs a locked case with the trustees only having the key/combo for access. John Pierce, Esq (not sure how reliable he is with NFA information) recommends giving the individual storing the items a copy of the F4/F1 and trust as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are the current rules/regulations/laws regarding storage of NFA items at a residence not of your own? So far I know that one needs a locked case with the trustees only having the key/combo for access. John Pierce, Esq (not sure how reliable he is with NFA information) recommends giving the individual storing the items a copy of the F4/F1 and trust as well.
View Quote
From ATF FAQ for a similar situation:

"The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-individual-changing-his-or-her-state-residence-and-individuals-application-transport
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe there are any safe storage requirements in the NFA, though it may fall into the area of good advice.

You do not want to be negligent in allowing prohibited persons access to NFA items, or any firearms for that matter.

Your state laws may differ.

ETA: The above post is correct but not compelling, much like other guidelines from ATF.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe there are any safe storage requirements in the NFA, though it may fall into the area of good advice.

You do not want to be negligent in allowing prohibited persons access to NFA items, or any firearms for that matter.

Your state laws may differ.

ETA: The above post is correct but not compelling, much like other guidelines from ATF.
View Quote
I believe the OP was trying to avoid an inadvertent/unlawful transfer of an NFA item.

I would consider the ATF guidance to be one way, but not the only way to demonstrate that no transfer was intended or did it occur.

I speculate that you are correct, in that there is no safe storage requirement for NFA items but there is a sever penalty for an unlawful transfer.  This would include the constructive possession by a friend or family member.

This is not just a matter of avoiding a transfer of a firearm to a "prohibited person" it is a matter of preventing a transfer to anyone not authorized to possess a particular NFA item.

If I misunderstood or was confused by your post then forgive me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top