Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2024 8:07:37 PM EDT
So I'm currently waiting on my NICS callback on a used Springfield M1A SOCOM I bought off classifieds in another forum, and I have some questions. I am just learning about these so please bear in mind I'm a complete noob.

1) When pulling the bolt back, from the moment it unlocks from the chamber it's CRAZY loose and rattle-y. Is that normal? Locking the action back, the whole bolt assembly is incredibly loose, and even more so anywhere in its travel range from lockback into battery. Like it feels like it could just fall right out if I just jiggled it a bit in the right way.

2) Looking at the "heel" (I'm not sure what to call that metal part of the receiver which is the metal bit furthest back on the stock, behind the rear sight, is not actually centered on the stock. It's biased far to the left, so that the left of the receiver is flush with the stock below it, and the op rod on the right is also flush with the stock below it, instead of overhanging the stock some. Is that correct?

3) Looking in the space between the oprod when operating the action, there is a big GOUGE in the barrel where it meets the receiver. Like its been hitting it HARD.

I will try and get some pics up of this ASAP, but would love to hear some input from anyone who cares to in the meantime!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#1]
Originally Posted By DWPW:
So I'm currently waiting on my NICS callback on a used Springfield M1A SOCOM I bought off classifieds in another forum, and I have some questions. I am just learning about these so please bear in mind I'm a complete noob.

1) When pulling the bolt back, from the moment it unlocks from the chamber it's CRAZY loose and rattle-y. Is that normal? Locking the action back, the whole bolt assembly is incredibly loose, and even more so anywhere in its travel range from lockback into battery. Like it feels like it could just fall right out if I just jiggled it a bit in the right way.

2) Looking at the "heel" (I'm not sure what to call that metal part of the receiver which is the metal bit furthest back on the stock, behind the rear sight, is not actually centered on the stock. It's biased far to the left, so that the left of the receiver is flush with the stock below it, and the op rod on the right is also flush with the stock below it, instead of overhanging the stock some. Is that correct?

3) Looking in the space between the oprod when operating the action, there is a big GOUGE in the barrel where it meets the receiver. Like its been hitting it HARD.

I will try and get some pics up of this ASAP, but would love to hear some input from anyone who cares to in the meantime!
View Quote

1. yes,it’s floppy when unlocked, L lug is in a track and the right lug with the roller is in the op rod hump.

2. They were always biased that way, the real M14 had a connecting rod and a switch on the right for full auto.

3.  Get some pics up, I cannot really picture that in my head.

Edit....

could that gouge be a machined v groove?   There are two that hold the metal band spring clip on the upper handguard.  There would be one just like it on the other side!

That said regarding #1, make sure the roller is present on the end of the right bolt lug and that the inside of the op rod hump isn’t damaged in some way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The rear of the action isn't centered on mine either, you can see the extra bedding on the right side. As far as being sloppy or very loose when pulling the op rod back, not so much on mine.  The barrel does have a groove on the right side from the chamber extending about an inch and a bit.  Gouges, no.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, by the way you describe the conditions, NONE of that sounds right.

Pics would help of course but it sounds to me like the OP rod is not in it's track

and is giving you that lose feeling. Also the OP rod should not contact the barrel

causing damage as you describe.

It may be that you just need to disassemble the rifle and put it back together

correctly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CRNUMBER:
OP, by the way you describe the conditions, NONE of that sounds right.

Pics would help of course but it sounds to me like the OP rod is not in it's track

and is giving you that lose feeling. Also the OP rod should not contact the barrel

causing damage as you describe.

It may be that you just need to disassemble the rifle and put it back together

correctly.
View Quote

I should have this home by Friday and I'll strip her down to the bolts and snap some pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top