Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2020 11:12:23 PM EDT
I posted about this gun a little while ago in GD.
I thought I would share in this forum more details.

I picked this gun up at a local store. I did not know what I was getting into.  I also own a reproduction Sharps and this gun was a whole new animal.

What was wrong -
poly coated and refinished stock.
Brocken extractor/ejector spring.
Missing front barrel band spring.  No inlet for it.

Based on the fact that it is a parts gun I decided restore it. However I believe that the barrel is original 3 groove that came with the receiver which is nice.  The stock however and cleaning rod came from some where else. This gun was probably a Bannerman. I’m

So I started off on a project.
Sourced springs from ebay and began putting her back to the way she was intended.
Attachment Attached File

Here I am stripping off the poly.
Attachment Attached File

Here I am making a template and drilling the pin whole for the spring.
Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately the stock was very thin at the lower part of the recess and some extra chipped off. I smoothed it out and then refinished the stock.  
I used true oiled for the finish, and last but not least fixed the ejector spring.
Here it is finished and ready to shoot
405 grain lead bullets over 55 grains of goex ffgAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice , you saved her !
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Your project turned out very nice, thank you for sharing. I use to be an avid muzzle loader guy and then switched to modern stuff. As of recently I have been missing black powder and muzzle loaders and think about going back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your project turned out very nice, thank you for sharing. I use to be an avid muzzle loader guy and then switched to modern stuff. As of recently I have been missing black powder and muzzle loaders and think about going back.
View Quote

Try black powder cartridge guns.  They are kind of the best of both worlds.
Loading the holy black is in some ways a learning curve and in other ways the easiest reloading I do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That's beautiful work, well done!  

Mine is an 1873 cut down.  It has a lot of wear on the stock with no visible cartouches.  While well worn the stock is in very good condition overall.  The barrel and rifling are very strong.  Someone who's familiar with trapdoors told me it looked like it was cut down by a good gunsmith and was probably done long ago when the guns were first surpluses.  I'm guessing it was purchased when the guns were first surplused, cut to a carbine and used as someone's hunting/home defense gun because of how much wear on the wood and how little wear on the rifling.  Of course I'll never know it's actual story but it's cool gun and fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a nice carbine
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice... I just joined the trapdoor Club this week

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Love me some trapdoors.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking weapons...

Thanks for sharing..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top