Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2023 10:39:33 AM EDT
I'm looking for a modest amount - a tin or two at most - of musket caps. Preferably not reenactment type.

Does anyone have a lead on a seller?

ETA: I'd settle for a box of a thousand if that's the minimum order but 5000 would be more than I'd use in a couple of decades. Unfortunately the only non-reenactment musket caps I could find for sale are for sale only in case amounts from Grafs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the difference between what you're looking for and the four wing CCI or RWS musket caps at Sportsman's Warehouse?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the difference between what you're looking for and the four wing CCI or RWS musket caps at Sportsman's Warehouse?
View Quote

Sportsman's Warehouse here is out of stock and the closest one is a hundred miles away. Their website says they're out of stock in a 400 mile radius too unfortunately.

The CCI caps I saw years ago said "for reenactment use" so I assumed they weren't for live fire. Too hot and they might unseat the ball perhaps? I genuinely don't know.

If I could pop over to a store and buy some RWS caps I'd do so in a heartbeat! I wish. The only places I can find which say they do have some RWS caps available are sketchy looking websites I've never heard of before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used the same caps live fire and reenactments (RWS)
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ideally I'll be able to find some RWS musket caps.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You may just need to order online.

I have not ordered from this place, but they show that they are available.

https://percussioncaps10.net/product/rws-musket-caps-2/

This is a different brand, not the CCI type and not the favored RWS. I have no experience with this brand but many online reviews compare these and RWS favorably. Some reviews do not.... your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/powder-primers/products/schuetzen-musket-caps
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I could pop over to a store and buy some RWS caps I'd do so in a heartbeat! I wish. The only places I can find which say they do have some RWS caps available are sketchy looking websites I've never heard of before.
View Quote

I see now, some of the CCI are For Reenactment Use and some are For Multiple Uses.
I don't recall what the tin I found today said, but I didn't notice the word Reenactment when I was looking at it an hour ago.

I checked my nearby SW this afternoon.
One tin of CCI, $7.99. There were a couple tins (plastic tubs) of RWS and dozens of CCIs on the hook last year, I forget what the price was.

$35 for Pyrodex!!!??? I could have sworn it was $20 a year or so ago.
I need to do a group buy of this stuff, find a ML shoot and get rid of the extras there:
https://powderinc.com/product/schuetzen-3fg-black-powder/
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I see now, some of the CCI are For Reenactment Use and some are For Multiple Uses.
I don't recall what the tin I found today said, but I didn't notice the word Reenactment when I was looking at it an hour ago.

One tin of CCI, $7.99. There were a couple tins (plastic tubs) of RWS and dozens of CCIs on the hook last year, I forget what the price was.

I need to do a group buy of this stuff, find a ML shoot and get rid of the extras there:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything has gone up in price and down in availability unfortunately. I'm just glad I filled my powder magazine to the brim when there was Goex and similar available for under $20 a pound. I'm stocked for that for a few more years at least - unless I overdo it with the cannons. They can be mighty hungry!

I did luck out and finally replenish my CCI #11 caps locally a month or two ago but I haven't had similar luck with musket caps.

Are the Schuetzen caps honestly comparable to the RWS offerings? I've heard very mixed reviews especially over the last few years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Conversely, find a muzzle loading shoot and buy it there. Because someone is already probably doing that.
It's a pain in the balls to buy blackpowder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Conversely, find a muzzle loading shoot and buy it there. Because someone is already probably doing that.
It's a pain in the balls to buy blackpowder.
View Quote

Nah, last time I ordered smokeless from Grafs I added 2lbs of 3Fg Schutzen to the order.  

Percussion caps are the slow down.... I'm about to order one of the replacment nipples for my .54 that will let me use a 209 primer, and I've seen adapters that let you use a LRP or SRP in place of a 209...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have not found #11 caps since I waited too long to buy when I saw 250ct RWS at Powder Valley for $26 2-3 years ago.
Last year at Sportsman's I saw 6 #10 on the wall and bought 3.

Been thinking of buying stainless rifle nipples and turning them down to #10 diameter.
Then I should be able to remember to use #10 on the guns with shiny nipples.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like my only choice is Muzzle-Loaders.com then as far as websites that are known and good. I'd still love to find some RWS caps but if Schuetzen is all I can get then that's that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top