Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2019 6:34:02 PM EDT
First Impressions:

My Mtek Flux Carbon-V showed up yesterday. I am upgrading from a TW LTP and wanted to go Carbon to use for snow skiing and climbing as well as night hunts. It is a well made and sleek looking helmet, but I gotta say the lack of a BOA retention system leaves me a little disappointed in the fit of the helmet... I feel like I am relying too much on the chin strap to hold the helmet stable even with the thicker pads and I did measure correctly before buying. Does anyone else on here have experience with Mtek, and if so what are your impressions? Has anyone added a BOA retention to the helmet? It looks possible holding the two side by side, but the Mtek comes further down the back of the head which might interfere. I do have Ops Core AMPs on the way which I am hoping will help stabilize everything even better than the ComTac's already do.

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Flux Ballistic and I was less than impressed with the factory pads as well. I upgraded to the 4D tactical Zero G retrofit kit, and I'm glad I did. The helmet feels way more secure on my head. It will most likely have a tighter fit to your head with the 4D pads FYI. As far as the chinstrap, though, I just kept the one it came with because I'm not sure if any aftermarket ones will fit. BTW, who makes the battery/chemlight holder on the back of your lid?
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Flux Ballistic and I was less than impressed with the factory pads as well. I upgraded to the 4D tactical Zero G retrofit kit, and I'm glad I did. The helmet feels way more secure on my head. It will most likely have a tighter fit to your head with the 4D pads FYI. As far as the chinstrap, though, I just kept the one it came with because I'm not sure if any aftermarket ones will fit. BTW, who makes the battery/chemlight holder on the back of your lid?
View Quote

The first one is just a Velcro backed battery holder I purchased somewhere online and the second is a battery/ chemlite holder I took off of Threat Core Industries MEEAP that I used to run a aux battery for the Breach before switching to rechargeable cr123's.

Thanks for the tip I will look into changing the pads if I cannot get a BOA to adapt!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The first one is just a Velcro backed battery holder I purchased somewhere online and the second is a battery/ chemlite holder I took off of Threat Core Industries MEEAP that I used to run a aux battery for the Breach before switching to rechargeable cr123's.

https://i.imgur.com/ZEnTzmw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AmdTEtL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gZQGhT5.jpg

Thanks for the tip I will look into changing the pads if I cannot get a BOA to adapt!
Sorry for the big pictures I forgot to turn the phone sideways when taking them....
View Quote
Thanks for the info on your setup! I really dig the way it looks. Mine is actually set up pretty close to yours. I have a T.Rex Arms SBL lanyard with the shock cord removed above the counterweight.

If you have any luck with the BOA on your Mtek, I'd love to see some pics and any mods you had to do. I loved the BOA back when I was running a Team Wendy bump helmet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good! I pulled the TW retention off and zip tied it to the clips on the Mtek for mock up and it seems to work great. I will put a couple nights on the helmet as is before making the decision to go that route though, I have a bad habit of buying brand new expensive things and modifying them... Suppose I should have gone with the Ops Core Carbon since I will have to modify the AMP helmet mount to fit also.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Well it looks like I'm going to have to get a TW BOA now lol. Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much why I ditched MTEK - I got one when they first became available, and my Team Wendy still felt like it was a better fit. I didn’t feel like I should have to spend more money on top of a $800 bump helmet to get it to fit like a $275 bump helmet. I eventually went TW Carbon and haven’t looked back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A few months back they had factory BOA option in the works using the mtek connectors. Maybe call and ask.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty much why I ditched MTEK - I got one when they first became available, and my Team Wendy still felt like it was a better fit. I didn’t feel like I should have to spend more money on top of a $800 bump helmet to get it to fit like a $275 bump helmet. I eventually went TW Carbon and haven’t looked back.
View Quote
I see what your saying. I just spend another $230 on TW retention and 4D pads which turns this into a $1100 helmet..... I'm committed now!
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A few months back they had factory BOA option in the works using the mtek connectors. Maybe call and ask.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up I got a TW retention system on the way but I will shoot them a email. Where did you see this from I haven't seen anything on their Instagram?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
How much did you pay for your helmet?

I've been looking at carbon helmets between the Big-3 and until this thread, MTEK seemed like the best choice, provided I can get a good price.

I've never mounted a bump helmet before so I don't know how any of these Boa/occ/worm dial systems will work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
@Ranger993 while you are giving reviews...could you tell us more about the RQE/Knights Bridge Mount?

I am debating the same setup...PVS14 and a Breach.  Do you like it overall?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much did you pay for your helmet?

I've been looking at carbon helmets between the Big-3 and until this thread, MTEK seemed like the best choice, provided I can get a good price.

I've never mounted a bump helmet before so I don't know how any of these Boa/occ/worm dial systems will work.
View Quote
I payed $850 for the helmet as is, its cheaper if you do not get the hydrodipped shell.

I have never used an OPS Core helmet before but so far I prefer my cheaper TW ltp bump to the carbon Mtek. Hopefully adding the 4d pads and BOA will make the system more comfortable but I am disappointed in having to modify a brand new helmet to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The 4d and boa made my ops core more comfy, really the only two mods I have for a helmet these days.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Ranger993 while you are giving reviews...could you tell us more about the RQE/Knights Bridge Mount?

I am debating the same setup...PVS14 and a Breach.  Do you like it overall?
View Quote
After 5 solid months of use I am still enjoying the setup. It fits my style of night hunting perfectly and the only change I will be making is if/ when flir comes out with a 640 Breach. I hunt coyotes exclusively, with calls, decoy dog, spot and stalk. In my experience unless you catch eyes reflecting in your illuminator or fast movement they can be very hard to spot through NODs because coyotes blend in with the environment so well here. Even now I will spot one with thermal and then barley make it out through the 14 (which has a beautiful OMNI VII tube)

As for the RQE bridge, it is a recent upgrade for me. I started with a Mod Armory bridge and it worked great for half the price, my only complaint is the image on the Breach was canted due to the square screen and lack of adjustment. With the RQE it sets up as thermal being in the upper portion of your vision and i2 in the lower portion, so I can easily choose which I want to view by tilting my head up and down if that makes sense.. I can also control which image is more overpowering by turning the brightness and gain up or down.

The thread below has more detailed explanations and photos. VV
Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/New-Breach-PTQ---questions---/18-499790/
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The 4d and boa made my ops core more comfy, really the only two mods I have for a helmet these days.
View Quote
Good to hear it is necessary with Ops Core as well. I was getting some buyers remorse for not going that route.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
TW retention BOA retrofitted successfully. I might have the wife sew around the grommet for good measure but its sturdy as is. Between this and the 4D pads I'm very satisfied with the fit and comfort of the Mtek, it certainty is a well made and good looking helmet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, that looks good. I'm jealous.

4D pads were on sale at TNVC last year, I really kicked myself for not getting them.

Might have to splurge this year and also snag a camfit system.

I have no idea where my grommet punch is though :(
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up I got a TW retention system on the way but I will shoot them a email. Where did you see this from I haven't seen anything on their Instagram?
View Quote
Through PMs with them on Instagram. They had a bunch setup in the pics I received.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, that looks good. I'm jealous.

4D pads were on sale at TNVC last year, I really kicked myself for not getting them.

Might have to splurge this year and also snag a camfit system.

I have no idea where my grommet punch is though :(
View Quote
Thank you @SpyHawk ! TNVC had them on sale last week when I purchased the 4D.

Here is the link to the grommets and tooI used if your doesn't show up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV7YC11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWZHWZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Through PMs with them on Instagram. They had a bunch setup in the pics I received.
View Quote
Thanks for the info I will watch out for it once Mtek releases it but so far I am really happy with both the 4D pads and BOA
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]
OPS CORE AMP showed up today, man these things sound awesome! My plan is to modify the ARC mount to fit inside the M-lok slot by shaving off some material with a Dremel. Here's some pics, more info to follow!

Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OPS CORE AMP showed up today, man these things sound awesome! My plan is to modify the ARC mount to fit inside the M-lok slot by shaving off some material with a Dremel. Here's some pics, more info to follow!
View Quote
Keep track of your battery life if you can. I am using the correct batteries and get about three quarters to half the published hours with or without NFMI plugs (which eat batteries faster)

I've also found the AMP arms are very rigid and keep the helmet in place quite nicely. I don't use a chin strap anymore but to be fair I don't do anything more than stalking various distances, but it's super stable

eta: I don't like the non helmet headband system. At first it was really cool but after using it at the range a bunch mine doesn't clip in tight anymore and while it's fine on my head, it pops out all the time when I take it off or put it on
I wanted to like it but not a fan

And to be clear, the helmet mount system is rock solid, no issues. I don't know what's different about the head band
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Keep track of your battery life if you can. I am using the correct batteries and get about three quarters to half the published hours with or without NFMI plugs (which eat batteries faster)

I've also found the AMP arms are very rigid and keep the helmet in place quite nicely. I don't use a chin strap anymore but to be fair I don't do anything more than stalking various distances, but it's super stable

eta: I don't like the non helmet headband system. At first it was really cool but after using it at the range a bunch mine doesn't clip in tight anymore and while it's fine on my head, it pops out all the time when I take it off or put it on
I wanted to like it but not a fan

And to be clear, the helmet mount system is rock solid, no issues. I don't know what's different about the head band
View Quote
Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on  battery life and let you know. I can  see the headband being a problem  as it seemed to pop out fairly easily. Another interesting thing is  I read the AMP came with foam ear cushions but mine came with gel. Possibly it's been upgraded since release?

The helmet mount was the main reason I was drawn to the AMP. I am hoping it will reduce the amount of counterweight needed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The battery life is pretty short in comparison the Peltors I have used.

That's without using the plugs. The other thing I've noticed, is on the helmet mount the spot that contains the cable has rubbed at the insulated wire some and my concern is that will be a weak link in the headsets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/SHrJ3zW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rr9dnT9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UVKv5Ns.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RiGO1Qs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0KlJtTv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y2DQHJI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/68LXAyP.jpg
View Quote
Instead of cutting it up, have you seen if someone could 3D print you that part?  Looks like it might be relatively easy to design and produce.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Instead of cutting it up, have you seen if someone could 3D print you that part?  Looks like it might be relatively easy to design and produce.
View Quote
That is a really good idea! I don't have any experience with 3D printing but I can play around with CAD and come up with something. Do you recommend anyone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The battery life is pretty short in comparison the Peltors I have used.

That's without using the plugs. The other thing I've noticed, is on the helmet mount the spot that contains the cable has rubbed at the insulated wire some and my concern is that will be a weak link in the headsets.
View Quote
I don't think Ive ever changed the batteries in my Comtacs since Ive had them which is over a year, what do you guys estimate your run times being? I will have to keep an eye on the cable, possible wrap some electrical tape around the contact point?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is a really good idea! I don't have any experience with 3D printing but I can play around with CAD and come up with something. Do you recommend anyone?
View Quote
I have a guy that can print for you. PM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't think Ive ever changed the batteries in my Comtacs since Ive had them which is over a year, what do you guys estimate your run times being? I will have to keep an eye on the cable, possible wrap some electrical tape around the contact point?
View Quote
I haven't been tracking the hours but I've had to change them multiple times and I rarely have had to change my Peltors. I'd just keep a spare set of AAA on you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOM! ARFCOM for the win...
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I got the ball rolling on getting a mount printed thanks to @mah827 I will be sending him some parts once he is able to jump on the project. But being the impatient person I am... I went ahead and took the Dremel to my ARC mount. It works good for now but is short by about 1/8" causing the pivot stop to not work. Other than that Id say its a successful conversion.

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
@SpyHawk I know you were interested in the AMPs so heres an update
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I got the ball rolling on getting a mount printed thanks to @mah827 I will be sending him some parts once he is able to jump on the project. But being the impatient person I am... I went ahead and took the Dremel to my ARC mount. It works good for now but is short by about 1/8" causing the pivot stop to not work. Other than that Id say its a successful conversion.

https://i.imgur.com/bIrEqOx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xYw5PfR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BMKj7RW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TDiHUq5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C3hk1Zt.jpg
View Quote
Glad I could help. I’m interested to see the results.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Good stuff guys.

I was wondering why we couldn't just use an M-Lok nut, but I see the pivot stop wouldn't work without the middle part.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Any updates on the 3D printed mount piece for the AMP?  Also has anyone that has used both the AMP and the Pelter Comtac VI give a recommendation for which one they prefer?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any updates on the 3D printed mount piece for the AMP?  Also has anyone that has used both the AMP and the Pelter Comtac VI give a recommendation for which one they prefer?
View Quote
I will be sending the parts out today to get designed and printed. I have not used comtac VI`s before so I can't help you there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Very happy with the way they turned out!

Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like it came out great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Excellent work friend! How does one go about ordering a pair?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Excellent work friend! How does one go about ordering a pair?
View Quote
Send me a PM and I can have a set made for you
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Due to the shape and lack of adjustment in the Mtek helmet the detents do not lock into place where I need them too. I don't see a way around this but it doesn't seem to get in the way of the function. I am able to set tension on the mounts so the swivel will stop where I put it, especially when in the ON position. Maybe someone with AMPs mounted on their OPS Core can chime in, do you use the detents on the helmet mount?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Dang, that's awesome, bro. Great work!
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#43]
What all was required to retrofit the boa? Was it just the grommet relocation? I’m currently shopping for a new lid and I’m used to the boa in my TW (and not entirely sure I can live without it), but I’m reluctant to buy another lid from them for obvious reasons
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What all was required to retrofit the boa? Was it just the grommet relocation? I’m currently shopping for a new lid and I’m used to the boa in my TW (and not entirely sure I can live without it), but I’m reluctant to buy another lid from them for obvious reasons
View Quote
The TW BOA already has 1/4'' holes punch into their straps, I used a 1/4" grommet and punch to secure the straps to Mteks helmet clips. The Amazon links to what I used are posts mid way though the thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I highly recommend buying the grommets Ranger linked as they have more surface area to grip than the ~$10 kits on Amazon. I’m more than willing to lend out the punch and supply grommets for any future users to retrofit as long as you cover shipping both ways.

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Unity is planning on making an adapter for Mtek and team Wendy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WHZ_UKFWk
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Unity is planning on making an adapter for m-Tec and team Wendy

View Quote
I dont think the Mark adaptor's will work for the opscore AMPs or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I dont think the Mark adaptor's will work for the opscore AMPs or am I missing something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unity is planning on making an adapter for m-Tec and team Wendy

Chip says they are going to be making adapters for the AMP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#49]
That Nick Chen/TFB/FNL article posted above, makes it seem stupid simple to install on MLOK, just by buying 2 screws and boring out a washer....is it that easy?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#50]
@smeeg @zoomiefoosh just finished watching the Unity video, don't know how I missed that one! Ive been watching the Hot Button closely but never saw the lpvo mounts or mlok adaptors. I wonder if they were able to get the detents to work properly? Definitely excited to see what the mounts look like.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top