Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2018 9:47:22 AM EDT
I've got a SBR on a North Carolina trust. Unfortunately, I have to move to New York where SBRs are banned. I won't be in NY forever, but I don't know how long it will be, best guess is 2 yrs up to maybe 5 yrs.

I know I can add someone in NC as a trustee and let them hold the SBR. But what about someone in another state where SBRs are legal? Specifically, Virginia.

Can I add a VA resident as trustee and give him the SBR? What form would I use to notify the ATF?

And does it create issues that a North Carolina's trust's assets are in VA and the trust creator is in NY, so essentially no part of the trust is still connected to NC?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
where in NY, would it be possible to live in PA or VT?

an Ar-15 pistol would be legal as well, but only in a Fixed mag configuration, it would have to be listed on a NYS pistol permit and you would have to have a county willing to add an Ar-15 as a pistol.  You would also have to have a NYS pistol permit before you could even touch a pistol in the state of NY.....depending on the county it could be a month or years to get one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sorry, I should have specified - Nassau County. No, not possible to be in PA or another nearby state.

Quoted:an Ar-15 pistol would be legal as well, but only in a Fixed mag configuration, it would have to be listed on a NYS pistol permit and you would have to have a county willing to add an Ar-15 as a pistol.  You would also have to have a NYS pistol permit before you could even touch a pistol in the state of NY.....depending on the county it could be a month or years to get one.
Yeah, I know a little about the pistol permit. Don't have an AR15 pistol, but I do have an AR22 pistol, but not sure a fixed mag option exists for M&P 15-22 mags, assuming Nassau County would even treat this as a pistol (seems unlikely as they are nearly an extension of NYC in their attitude toward anything black and plastic, except when carried by government enforcers). Even if a fixed mag option existed, it would defeat the fun of an AR22 to have a fixed 10rd mag, as I'd spend far more time loading than shooting. So I'll either sell the AR22 or give to a friend to hold.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
quit your job and stay in NC.  FNY
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to move to New York?

Unless you’re active duty, that simply isn’t true.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss of freedom.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have to move to New York?

Unless you’re active duty, that simply isn’t true.
View Quote
Family obligations. But it's not forever, which is why I'm trying to figure out holding options for the SBR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm showing my ignorance a bit...

But, can't you just buy legal upper for it, and a pistol brace for the short upper?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
How about leaving it with your attorney as custodian?  If he's a gun guy (and many of them are) then that might be a quick and simple solution.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
in California partial disassembly meant it was no longer a SBR, AW, etc. I would research what level of dissembly (go to NY gun forum) would mean you’re simply storing parts + a stripped receiver. Then you’ll at least have it with you even if you can’t use it or assemble it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Locked case held by someone you can actually trust?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Turn around.  Go back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#12]
1) Move to NY
2) Get some BS qualifying part time peace officer spot, some of them are even volunteer
3) Maintain exemption as defined in NYS PL 265.20
4) Have whatever guns and accessories you want legally in NY
5) Profit..
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Family obligations. But it's not forever, which is why I'm trying to figure out holding options for the SBR.
View Quote
Family obligations?? LOL, no "obligation" is worth your freedom.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Locked case held by someone you can actually trust?
View Quote
this

not to complicated
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Forget about adding it to a pistol permit.  It will take you 6 months to a year just to get the permit then you have to get the local sheriff to allow you to add it. Beside the fact that you have to almost butcher it to make it legal. DO NOT bring any handguns, standard cap magazines or anything assault weapons related. I escaped NY last year. Not all but many police will arrest you and let the courts figure it out. It's not worth it. Especially on LI, NYC, or Westchester/ Rockland counties. It really is a shit show there. People from free states have no idea. You will have to get a NY driver's license and residency before any shop is likely to even sell you a rifle/ shotgun.

ETA: Just remember if you get arrested for a firearm related offense in NY it could ban you from owning firearms anywhere in the country if it's on your record. So definitely find somewhere to store your sbr and be very careful if you choose to bring some kind of gun with you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Remove buffer tube. For dramatic purposes maybe take it to the bank in a large black duffel bag. Place lower in safety deposit box only you can access. Return one day and celebrate freedom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Good lord there's some idiocy in this thread.

OP: If it's on a trust as you said, you either already have or can add a trustee who's a resident of whatever state you want to leave it in. Leave it with that person until you're ready to get it back (just make sure it's someone trustworthy). No notification of the ATF is necessary to change/add/remove trustees. Differing opinions on 5320.20s for multi-state trustees but I'd file it to move the gun to the other state if you are picking someone in Virginia as the trustee, probably check permanent so you don't have to keep filing a new one every year and then you can always re-file it back when you move back to a free state.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Rent a storage unit for 2 years, insert safe with NFA guns?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Put a 16" upper on it, take it to NY in whatever configuration is legal there.  Sell or store the short upper or build it into a NY legal pistol.  Undo above changes when you leave NY.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Put a 16" upper on it, take it to NY in whatever configuration is legal there.  Sell or store the short upper or build it into a NY legal pistol.  Undo above changes when you leave NY.
View Quote
People keep mentioning NY legal pistol. Cannot be over 50 ounces, cannot have removable magazine outside the grip, not to mention 6 month to a year wait for pistol license. Leave it in NC.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

People keep mentioning NY legal pistol. Cannot be over 50 ounces, cannot have removable magazine outside the grip, not to mention 6 month to a year wait for pistol license. Leave it in NC.
View Quote
It would have to be a fixed mag build to be legal
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Do everything possible to avoid moving to NY.  It took me 5 years to escape after the unSAFE act was rammed through and it felt like a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Put a 16" upper on it, take it to NY in whatever configuration is legal there.    Undo above changes when you leave NY.
View Quote
Yep, its only a SBR when configured as such.

If you can't take it at all, rent a Safe deposit box and throw the lower in there until you can get to a free state, 3rd choice add someone you trust to your trust and leave it with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Family obligations?? LOL, no "obligation" is worth your freedom.
View Quote
Lol
It may or may not be worth your freedom, but it sounds like it could be at least 50% of the marital assets and possibly a never ending alimony payment.

My vote is store it before you move. A locked case at a relatives house is still in your possession as long as only you and your trustees have access.  Give your uncle or sister or someone $50 to chuck it in their basement until you return.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Lots of options...

Leave it with a friend or relative you trust. Give lower to one, and upper to another. Done.

You could rent a storage place also, but meh, who wants to pay monthly for that?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]
strip the SBR down to lower and store in a safety deposit box in NC or put in a small locked box and give to friend/family in any state that is legal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Find someone trustworthy.

Buy a 150$ gun safe.

Mount it to the wall at trustworthy location.

Take the key with you.

Pick up gun when you come back in 2 years.

YOU CAN NOT TAKE THE GUN WITH YOU IN ANY FORM.  To NY.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top