Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2021 11:13:19 AM EDT
Whats the current address for me to send them a letter letting them know?

Is this it?

Director, Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV
25405 (Attention: NFA Division)

Will they accept an email at [email protected]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no legal requirement to notify for interstate transport of suppressors.

Most people use a Form 5 with the box ticked to indicate a permanent move, though - the address is right there on the F5.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no legal requirement to notify for interstate transport of suppressors.

Most people use a Form 5 with the box ticked to indicate a permanent move, though - the address is right there on the F5.
View Quote

Change of Address Form is the 5320.20

and yes it can be emailed.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/application-transport-interstate-or-temporarily-export-certain-nfa-firearms-atf/download
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed mine.

IIRC I had to print it out and physically sign it, then scan it back in, but you may not be required to do that - not sure. It was admittedly a bit confusing because I had kinda forgotten to do the permanent move when I changed my DL, so I had to do the suppressors from my old house to my temporary house, and then EVERYTHING from the temporary house (my previous address for the last 20 years, and where I was when the trust was started) to the current house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The form 5 is used for tax exempt transfers of NFA items, not for moves.

In the past, you used to be able to send a letter to the ATF for a move. In recent years though, the ATF has stated that they want the 5320.20 instead. While you are not required to get approval to move the silencers out of state, it is recommended to report the move and keep the NFRTR up to date. If not, if may cause problems later on should the silencer need to be transferred or serviced as the address listed will not match.

I sent in a couple 5320.20 forms for my old cans back in February, took about 3 weeks in total from the time i emailed them to the time they arrived in my mailbox.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The form 5 is used for tax exempt transfers of NFA items, not for moves.

In the past, you used to be able to send a letter to the ATF for a move. In recent years though, the ATF has stated that they want the 5320.20 instead. While you are not required to get approval to move the silencers out of state, it is recommended to report the move and keep the NFRTR up to date. If not, if may cause problems later on should the silencer need to be transferred or serviced as the address listed will not match.

I sent in a couple 5320.20 forms for my old cans back in February, took about 3 weeks in total from the time i emailed them to the time they arrived in my mailbox.
View Quote

My bad - had a morning brain fart. I meant a 5320.20, which I guess I implied by context, but failed to lay out properly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Lot of people like to say there is no “legal” requirement to notify about suppressors for permanent move. However, I perceive there to be zero downside in notifying them of the permanent move for all NFA items.  I’d guess there is a chance for less confusion down the road - especially if you plan to register more shit at the new address - if you have a returned 5320.20 from the ATF that covers every item.  If you have any SBRs why not just write up the cans as well...  if I already made the decision to dabble in the stamp game, more signed approved forms I have from the ATF the better.

People act like the “ATF won’t be able to find you” or something if you don’t notify them of the move.  Heck, I’ve heard in Kansas it’s legal to carry concealed in a bar so long so your BAC is less than 0.08...  that doesn’t mean it’s smart to drink there at 0.07 in case you need to use the “stand your barstool” defense
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just sent them a letter last time. They sent one back thanking me for keeping the registry up to date.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just sent them a letter last time. They sent one back thanking me for keeping the registry up to date.
View Quote

And that was the normal practice up until mid 2013. People who sent letters started getting them rejected and being told by the ATF that address updates would have to be submitted using the 5320.20 instead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And that was the normal practice up until mid 2013. People who sent letters started getting them rejected and being told by the ATF that address updates would have to be submitted using the 5320.20 instead.
View Quote

Weird, the actual form has this on it.

A letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in  lieu of the form.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Weird, the actual form has this on it.

A letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in  lieu of the form.
View Quote

Some don’t think the AFT be like it is, but the AFT it do
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lot of people like to say there is no “legal” requirement to notify about suppressors for permanent move. However, I perceive there to be zero downside in notifying them of the permanent move for all NFA items.  I’d guess there is a chance for less confusion down the road - especially if you plan to register more shit at the new address - if you have a returned 5320.20 from the ATF that covers every item.  If you have any SBRs why not just write up the cans as well...  if I already made the decision to dabble in the stamp game, more signed approved forms I have from the ATF the better.

People act like the “ATF won’t be able to find you” or something if you don’t notify them of the move.  Heck, I’ve heard in Kansas it’s legal to carry concealed in a bar so long so your BAC is less than 0.08...  that doesn’t mean it’s smart to drink there at 0.07 in case you need to use the “stand your barstool” defense
View Quote

The downside is having to submit 20 x 5320.20s every time you move.  They used to let you attach a separate sheet of paper to the form with all items listed but not anymore.  Not worth my time to do the form 20+ times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The downside is having to submit 20 x 5320.20s every time you move.  They used to let you attach a separate sheet of paper to the form with all items listed but not anymore.  Not worth my time to do the form 20+ times.
View Quote

Copy pasting into separating PDFs doesnt take that much time (for me anyway).

And you can even save them for the next time and just update the address/dates.  Simple
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you been Disapproved for one using that method recently? I’ve never tried it, but just within the last couple years they told me to write See Attached List on the first line, and then I could attach a sheet with all the info.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top