Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 12:39:58 PM EDT
We are doing a remodel and I built in a space for my safe in our new bedroom.  The problem was that the safe was located in our little studio that is attached to the garage.  It was the only place I could put it when I got it.  Now that I have the room in the main house I wanted it in there.  There are two steps to come down out of the studio, and 3 steps to go up into the main house.  The safe weighs 2500 lbs...ish.  It is on wheels but no way to move it up / down steps.  I called a couple safe places and the only guys who would even consider it are 100 miles away and it would have been $1000 min.  So I decided to do it myself.

Thought it out and built a platform that would interlock with the two steps coming out of the studio.  Rolled the safe out onto the platform and blocked it in place. Then used a pallet jack from work to move the platform and safe to the three steps going into the main house.  The pallet jack would only lift it about 2 inches and I needed 8" to clear the third step.  So, about 3/4" at a time I levered the whole thing up high enough to reach the top step.  Raise it up, block it...raise it up, block it...repeat.  Then, put the pallet jack under it all and inch it forward until I could push it into the house.  Pallet jack worked perfect to slide it into it's new home once in the new bedroom.

Actually went really well!  Took my time, about 3 hours total to move 30 feet.      
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Good old American ingenuity.  Good on ya, OP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want to come over and move mine? I’m in Kodiak.Good job dude
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Nicely done.  2500 lbs is no joke.  I figured you moved something like a Fatboy (880ish lbs).

Crack yourself a beer (or 6) and have a cigar.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nicely done.  2500 lbs is no joke.  I figured you moved something like a Fatboy (880ish lbs).

Crack yourself a beer (or 6) and have a cigar.
View Quote
The fact that it is on wheels really made a big difference.  Would have been a whole other adventure if it were a flat bottom but I still think I could "Get R Done"!  But thanks!  I did have a couple after that was done!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Love the creativity with the blocks and pallets. Brilliant use of basic concepts and bringing the "work smarter, not harder" to life...so rare these days.

Nice job!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding, congrats OP..and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Fabulous.  Good for you guys getting the job done.  It took four big guys and a heavy duty hand truck to get my new safe in the house.  Safe was about 800#.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Love the creativity with the blocks and pallets. Brilliant use of basic concepts and bringing the "work smarter, not harder" to life...so rare these days.

Nice job!
View Quote
Leverage is an amazing tool!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you want to come over and move mine? I'm in Kodiak.Good job dude
View Quote
Hmmm...tempting, but I better stay here and get this remodel done.    
That would be a good excuse for a hunting trip though!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm picturing some guys trying to rob your house...

Sees the safe: "Hey, check this out...I bet there's some good shit in that safe, let's roll it out to the truck!"

Sees the steps: "Fuck!"
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm picturing some guys trying to rob your house...

Sees the safe: "Hey, check this out...I bet there's some good shit in that safe, let's roll it out to the truck!"

Sees the steps: "Fuck!"
View Quote
Just trying to get it out of its cubby hole would stop them cold.  The wheels don't turn, only roll straight so it's not coming out of there.  It's dug in like an Alabama tick!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Shit and I thought the 650lb safe I got on Friday was a lot of weight to move.

ETA: Aside from the $5k power jack they used to get down the stairs, they had these homemade slick sticks - like a piece of pallet flat wood with a 1"x1" ABS plastic piece drilled on top. The safe would slide along those like it was on ice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top