Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 1:51:58 PM EDT
Is this possible?

I'm trying to put this on an SR-25 Lightweight Match rifle.  The integrated rail/front sight on my URX rail prevents me from being able to mount a PVS-27 at the front-end -- specifically either the nut on the left, or where the rail geometry terminates at the bolt on the right, interferes with the mount.  In order to get the PVS-27 on the rail, it ends up so far back that there isn't even room for an S&B PMII Ultra Short behind it.

Advice from anyone who's attempted this kind of set-up is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks; I see, of course -- it is that integral front sight that is my problem.  I was hoping that there might be some kind of work-around, like, does KAC make some replacement front sight for the rail that permits mounting at PVS-27 at the front-end.  I'm guessing no.

A new rail ... is not what I was hoping to hear, but probably a less awful proposition than a whole new rifle, since I also have the special KAC silencer already to go with this one.

I'll need to line up a gunsmith to swap the rails.  And buy a new rail.  Not in that order!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not  remove the front sight? You can't mount anything there anyways and unless you remove your optic, it is not usable. If you really wanted a front sight, put one on the rail behind the PVS27.

Just an idea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Fully aware of how it is attached and what is involved with removing it.

Just sharing ideas.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well look at that... removing the sight almost does the trick -- not quite enough eye relief, though.  Although to get that, I think I'm also going to have to change scope mounts.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting closer!

Would the MRE work for you? I have no experience with these but form the looks of it, it might work.

No idea if it will clear your gas block though.

https://www.operationparts.com/kac-knights-armament-sr-25-mre-kit-for-rifle-length-urx-ii-m-110/
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#8]
What does "MRE" stand for in this context? Clearly it doesn't look edible!

How does that thing attach to the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Also ... it looks like it would interfere with the silencer mating point on the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The top rail portion ties in where the folding front site mounts and the lower slides in the same way your existing lower rail portion does, its just longer.

Overall length of the rail does seem like it would interfere with your suppressor and also the gas block. If it were just the gas block, I would say, replace it with a low pro and call it a day.

Have you experimented with your optic eye relief and mounting to find out where it needs to be?

Off hand, I do not recall what the minimum distance between day optic and PVS27 "should" be but I have played with different distances between the two and didnt notice any major changes. The only downside I have noticed with mounting the 27 very close to the scope is the flip up lens covers not being usable.

You may just end up having to swap the rail and maybe the gas block out to better suit your needs. Please post final setup pics for reference once you figure it out.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably need another inch of eye relief on the scope.  In the photo I already have the PVS-27 as far forward as it can go with the sight removed.

I ordered a URX 3.1 rail, and now I'm looking for a gas block although Sam seemed to have the same block under his URX rail that I have currently.  I may have to ask the gunsmith I've lined up to swap out my rails to mill down and refinish the block I have as well.  We shall see.

Every project I get into seems to bring up its own unexpected complications!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure, Augee, but would you believe I actually found the gas block I needed in the EE today?!

So I’m headed down the URX 3.1 path at the moment. Your adjustable stock idea will be the next logical step if that doesn’t prove to be enough, though.

I’ll try to remember to report back in a couple of weeks when I’ve gotten it all sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Update: 6 weeks in and it turns out the gunsmith (whom I had asked: Do you have the tools and experience to do a rail swap on a KAC SR-25?, and who said "no problem") ... has been waiting on a back-ordered tool he needs to do the swap.

My confidence level in him is low now.  So I'm thinking I will relieve him of my SR-25 and he can cancel his order that will never come... but where should I bring it?  Does anyone know a gunsmith in central Texas that has KAC capabilities?  Or should I ship it to KAC?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know a gunsmith in central Texas that has KAC capabilities?
View Quote

These guys are in Fort Worth.

https://presampledepot.com/services/
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Sheesh!  This took a long time, but, the end-result works pretty well!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top