Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 5:26:46 PM EDT
Thinking about doing a dedicated suppressed upper using the Q Honey Badger barrel.

I've never used a barrel w/ a taper like that.  

I don't want to use the Cherry Bomb as I don't plan on removing the suppressor.
Reading this link: https://www.liveqordie.com/products/honey-badger-by-q/
It sounds like the Q Honey Badger SD is a direct thread setup not using a Cherry Bomb either.

So my question is, does someone make an adapter that properly interfaces with the taper of the Honey Badger barrel and goes directly into an Omega 300?

...and no, I don't want to buy a whole rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Q makes suppressors that use the Cherry Bomb as well as direct thread cans that sit against the barrel taper.

You could buy the taper ring which will allow you to mount your choice of muzzle device or can in direct thread configuration. Link

If you are looking for other fast twist barrel options Mos Tek will make you a custom barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Q makes suppressors that use the Cherry Bomb as well as direct thread cans that sit against the barrel taper.

You could buy the taper ring which will allow you to mount your choice of muzzle device or can in direct thread configuration. Link

If you are looking for other fast twist barrel options Mos Tek will make you a custom barrel.
View Quote
Yeah...I saw the taper ring but was hoping I could find a mount that would utilize the taper so I could see what the big deal is...and Ive got an Omega 300 Im not using.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah...I saw the taper ring but was hoping I could find a mount that would utilize the taper so I could see what the big deal is...and Ive got an Omega 300 Im not using.
View Quote

To my knowledge there is not an Omega pattern mount to work on the direct thread with taper. Sig and Q are the only manufacturers I know making cans and firearms with that tapered muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a sugar weasel with the exact same barrel and I run it with my SilencerCo Octane Nine HD using 5/8 x 24 direct thread mount (also available for the omega 300.)  

I simply removed the cherry bomb and direct thread the suppressor ...The barrels 25 degree taper holds the suppressor in place.  I love this set up… Hopefully this helps.  Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about the Q plan b mount for the omega? Would use the cherry bomb but seems like a good solution.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thinking about doing a dedicated suppressed upper using the Q Honey Badger barrel.

I've never used a barrel w/ a taper like that.  
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-a1p81kvly8/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/206254/120000/apiddm1df__77194.1558123536.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

I don't want to use the Cherry Bomb as I don't plan on removing the suppressor.
Reading this link: https://www.liveqordie.com/products/honey-badger-by-q/
It sounds like the Q Honey Badger SD is a direct thread setup not using a Cherry Bomb either.

So my question is, does someone make an adapter that properly interfaces with the taper of the Honey Badger barrel and goes directly into an Omega 300?

...and no, I don't want to buy a whole rifle.
View Quote

Where is it in stock?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...I thought about that...but seems like an unnecessary step....especially considering that Q's SD upper sounds like they don't use it for that build.
On the other hand the Cherry Bomb does serve as a sacrificial baffle...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah...I thought about that...but seems like an unnecessary step....especially considering that Q's SD upper sounds like they don't use it for that build.
View Quote

That’s because it’s a direct thread can designed for tapered barrels. Same story with half and full Nelson’s. I run a Sig can the same way on my .300 setup.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's because it's a direct thread can designed for tapered barrels. Same story with half and full Nelson's. I run a Sig can the same way on my .300 setup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because it's a direct thread can designed for tapered barrels. Same story with half and full Nelson's. I run a Sig can the same way on my .300 setup.
Yeah...I totally get that...that is why I'm asking about a direct thread mount for my Omega designed for the tapered barrel...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where is it in stock?
View Quote
You asking about the Q barrel?  It was in stock direct earlier today and appears to be sold out now.
This site shows in stock: https://www.tagfirearms.com/honey-badger-7-barrel-assembly.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah...I totally get that...that is why I'm asking about a direct thread mount for my Omega designed for the tapered barrel...
View Quote

As I mentioned above i don’t think one is made. You have several options in my opinion.

1. Use the taper adapter
2. Use a Cherry Bomb
3. Get a different barrel
4. Get a different can

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As I mentioned above i don't think one is made. You have several options in my opinion.

1. Use the taper adapter
2. Use a Cherry Bomb
3. Get a different barrel
4. Get a different can

View Quote
Thanks for the info...I already knew all those options before I posted though...thanks for confirming...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You asking about the Q barrel?  It was in stock direct earlier today and appears to be sold out now.
This site shows in stock: https://www.tagfirearms.com/honey-badger-7-barrel-assembly.html
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info...I already knew all those options before I posted though...thanks for confirming...
View Quote

Using the Q barrel really limits you. The beauty nowadays is the somewhat standardization of the Omega rear mount. Tons of mounting options available now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a taper barrel and use it with my half nelson. Now before my half nelson was approved i used my Hybrid and just screwed it right up to the taper. The taper held it in place just fine. Was it aligned IDK but worked.

I use my omega with a cherry bomb and plan b. Its the best mount solution for your set up imo. The CB and PlanB weights close to the direct thread mount.

But to get back to your original question no. No one makes a tapered thread adapter for the omega thread pattern. I heard recently that Q may make a direct thread adapter but who knows the time line on that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 7.5" 1:7 twist 300BLK barrel now that I have a 3 lug on and use it with subsonics and supersonics just fine with my custom Curtis Tactical can.

I was just thinking about something to use my Omega on and see all the mounting options for the Omega these days and was hoping to use it with a direct taper mount for a dedicated build.  I already have a direct thread mount for my Omega but worry about it coming loose.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 7.5" 1:7 twist 300BLK barrel now that I have a 3 lug on and use it with subsonics and supersonics just fine with my custom Curtis Tactical can.

I was just thinking about something to use my Omega on and see all the mounting options for the Omega these days and was hoping to use it with a direct taper mount for a dedicated build.  I already have a direct thread mount for my Omega but worry about it coming loose.
View Quote

I like Area 419s mounting solution. You can get a minimalistic muzzle device and then the suppressor mount threads on left hand to the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I bet if you sent the barrel to ECCO machine he could make you a direct thread mount with that taper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Using the Q barrel really limits you. The beauty nowadays is the somewhat standardization of the Omega rear mount. Tons of mounting options available now.
View Quote

With the taper ring in place it’s just like every single 90 degree shoulder out there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

With the taper ring in place it’s just like every single 90 degree shoulder out there.
View Quote

He doesn’t seem to want to use it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He doesn’t seem to want to use it.
View Quote

He’s trying to ice skate uphill then.

I was just commenting that the Q barrel isn’t limiting. But yeah, if someone refuses to want to use the taper ring then I could see how they would be limited to cans that use a taper.

A removeable cap that uses a taper would be a bad idea. More likely than not the cap would stay stuck to the barrel and the silencer would spin off the cap when its attempted to be removed. The taper is going to lock harder than any 1.375 adapter will inside the can.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's trying to ice skate uphill then.

I was just commenting that the Q barrel isn't limiting. But yeah, if someone refuses to want to use the taper ring then I could see how they would be limited to cans that use a taper.

A removeable cap that uses a taper would be a bad idea. More likely than not the cap would stay stuck to the barrel and the silencer would spin off the cap when its attempted to be removed. The taper is going to lock harder than any 1.375 adapter will inside the can.
View Quote
If someone made a removable cap w/ a taper and I had it rocksett to my unused Omega, how is it different than using a can designed to use a taper?  Again, that sounds like what the Q SD rifle is doing.  Not trying to skate uphill here, just thought something like that would already be available....and as someone else posted above, sounds like Q mentioned coming out with it at some point.

Sounds like too much trouble today and I don't want it bad enough to pay for a custom mount.
I'll just get a different 1:5 barrel if I want to play with that twist rate.

Anyone have any feedback for the Mos Tek barrels?
Any other 1:5 twist 300BLK barrels options out there with a 90 degree shoulder other than Mos Tek?  

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top