Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2018 3:35:14 PM EDT
Is there FMJ .22 LR ammo? If not, why not? What .22 LR subsonic ammo has the least amount of leading for a suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I use CCI SV.  Stays subsonic, accuracy is very good, not pricey.  I can get groups at 100 meters of close to an inch to 1.5 consistently.  Holdover is a few inches at 100.  At 150 I need around 10" of holdover.  I clean my 22 cans about every 500-800 rounds.  From other types, I don't really notice how much leading, I don't think the difference is much for me.

Jacketed 22 would probably make it more expensive.

What can are you using?

I shoot out a Savage FVSR II with a Spectre II.  I use a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a Dead Air Mask.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I use CCI standard in my 2 sparrows.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Air Force had a FMJ .22 LR loading way back for aircrew survival situations.  Not an easy thing to do with the heal of the bullet into the case design.  22 WMR would lend itself to a FMJ SS loading.

I've had the best luck with CCI 45 grain SS HP, (CCI product number 957), Gemtech 42 gr. if you don't need a HP, and Winchesters 42 grain HP SS loading in my mostly Kidd 10/22, but I had to use the lightest recoil spring Kidd sells.

Leading is just the way it is.  I have 2 Sparrows and rotate them out.  One is use, one soaking/being cleaned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
CCI SV for me as well. It's readily available, reasonably priced and consistent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
+++++
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CCI SV for me as well. It's readily available, reasonably priced and consistent.
View Quote
Freakin rich people. Remington golden bullets so I can practice malfunction drills
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Freakin rich people. Remington golden bullets so I can practice malfunction drills
View Quote
Eh, sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze!  I like shooting, not trying to fire duds or hung rounds.  Try it!

Oh, Brad Walmart is selling the buckets of the golden for $74, if you enjoy aggravation.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gemtech subsonic, CCI SV and Federal American Eagle Suppressor ammo have all been good to me.

I'd like to buy a brick or two of the AE and use it for a while to see if the copper washed bullets really do help cut down on leading, but everywhere I look, it's out of stock.
View Quote
I haven't shot any through a suppressor, but I've been a fan of the copper plated 22 bullets for years because of the quick/easy cleanup.  I don't get the leading from them I get from the unplated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there FMJ .22 LR ammo? If not, why not? What .22 LR subsonic ammo has the least amount of leading for a suppressor?
View Quote
I use CCI Standard Velocity as well for rifles, but for pistols pretty much anything works.  I like the plated bullets best, and nothing under 36 grains.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Eh, sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze!  I like shooting, not trying to fire duds or hung rounds.  Try it!

Oh, Brad Walmart is selling the buckets of the golden for $74, if you enjoy aggravation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered a 5000 round case of CCI SV from sg ammo. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
This
Was $90 shipped
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#15]
So, if I've decided to use a copper plated bullet, which is the best of them? The AE Suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, if I've decided to use a copper plated bullet, which is the best of them? The AE Suppressor?
View Quote
It's great, if you can find it.  Just remember, sometimes a single variety of .22 will not work well reliability or accuracy-wise with one of your hosts.  You have to know when to put up with fouling or a more expensive, lighter, slower, or harder to get brand if the one you THINK might work great doesn't so much.  The Gemtech stuff was that way in my favorite 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
In case you can't find it cheaper:

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/598-federal-american-eagle-suppressor-22-lr-42-grain-subsonic-lrn.html

Edited to Add: This is 45-grain ammo, IIRC, despite the site saying this is 42-grain.  I've ordered lots of ammo from this site and I recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen some lead free .22lr ammunition out there. It would probably keep the leading down to a minimum, but all I have seen was high velocity lightweight stuff.

CCI copper-22 is 21gr 1850fps.

I have went to only buying cci sv. I am selling the remainder of my hv stuff to a guy at work. It’s definitely dirty, but it sounds and shoots great in both my 10/22 and s&w victory. 1/2” or less groups at 50yds with my 10/22 and my pistol will shoot a 5-6” group at 85yds if I do my part. CCI sv cycles reliably, and goes bang every time so far at least.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for CCI Standard.  I haven't really shot enough other subsonics to see how dirty they make the can.

Sparrow SS, specifically cause I liked that I can easily open it up to clean it.  I cleaned it after the first 500 rounds of mixed stuff and was like "Wow, this isn't isn't very dirty!"  I figure I'll open it up again around 1500 rounds and see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#20]
From a vendor or a private individual? That's a heck of a good price from a vendor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I see great performance out of CCI SV in my 16"+ guns... its clean, very accurate, and reliable.  In pistols or SBRs I use bulk pack, I prefer to use automatch if i can find it since it will stay subsonic out of the short barrels and provides enough oomph to cycle everything.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are shooting a pistol then you can use any high velocity copper washed ammo, like Federal bulk packs. It won’t break the sound barrier in a 5” barrel. It won’t be as quiet as subsonic ammo, but it will at least cycle the action reliably. That’s what I use for cheap plinking.

For everything else, including rifles, I use CCI Standard Velocity. No, it isn’t copper washed, but it isn’t as dirty as the cheap stuff, plus it is far more reliable, it cycles the action, and it is subsonic.

If you want the quietest then use CCI Subsonic or other brands listed as subsonic. They probably won’t cycle the action, and will have ballistics more like a .22 Short (might need to adjust your sights), but they are very quiet. Something else you could do since the gun won’t cycle anyways is just manually load .22 shorts into the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
When your blowing through .22 like mad with a binary trigger the Remington bucket of goldens are the way to go.   Clear the jams and continue on. I ain't rich and cheap in bulk like that it still adds up fast lol.  My Kidd 10/22 really likes the Norma match stuff.  Being match its subsonic and very accurate through the Kidd barrel and Mask out front.  Lately Midway has been pricing it on sale and I've been stocking up when I can on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When your blowing through .22 like mad with a binary trigger the Remington bucket of goldens are the way to go.   Clear the jams and continue on. I ain't rich and cheap in bulk like that it still adds up fast lol.  My Kidd 10/22 really likes the Norma match stuff.  Being match its subsonic and very accurate through the Kidd barrel and Mask out front.  Lately Midway has been pricing it on sale and I've been stocking up when I can on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 22AR is the only way I can use golden bullets, my 22/45 has FTFs every magazine but fires federal automatch very reliably.

golden bullets are my last resort and i get trying to save a couple bucks when shooting a lot.  In this case the savings aren't worth it for me, especially since automatch can be had for under .05 per round pretty consistently.  Usually the difference between automatch and golden bullets  is measured in 1/10ths of a cent per round and it isn't always the golden bullets that are cheaper when I'm looking.  A couple FTFs per box (we all know they will happen with the remingtons) and any savings are completely wiped away.  Even if both were 100% reliable, it takes 1000 rounds to save $1 per 1/10th of a cent difference.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gemtech subsonic, CCI SV and Federal American Eagle Suppressor ammo have all been good to me.

I'd like to buy a brick or two of the AE and use it for a while to see if the copper washed bullets really do help cut down on leading, but everywhere I look, it's out of stock.
View Quote
Case has free shipping: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-american-eagle-suppressor-22-long-rifle-ammo-45-grain-copper-plated-lead-round-nose-ae22sup1-p-4404.aspx
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the link. I might try some.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1311355856/norma-usa-match-22-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose
This is the Norma Match that works really well in my KIDD barrel.  Sadly its not on sale and Midway is out of stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#29]
The Aquila subsonic is quieter in my 10/22 the CCI SV
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#30]
My main 22 LR ammo has been CCI SV since I got my first can in 2007, no ragerts.  The only high velocity stuff I buy now is blazer for my belt-fed which still suppresses ok but the crack is, of course, present.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Aquila subsonic is quieter in my 10/22 the CCI SV
View Quote
Can't speak to volume, but this aguila, geco, and cci sv are the only 3 loads I've found that are affordable, accurate, and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I shoot all my .22 rifles, pistols suppressed.

My go to round is the CCI subsonic, and the Gemtech subsonic. I bought a full case of each.

With the the CCI segmented sub's on sale, I'm getting a case of it to bring down the vermin I eliminate at night. I like the thought of the segmented round to add punch to my kills.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Like others have said I prefer CCI SV when suppressing .22 (which is a pretty much all the time I shoot .22). I like it particularly because it cycles in my .22 AR, my 10/22 and my incredibly picky - borderline POS - M&P 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#35]
CCI Std Velocity and you can find great deals on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I used up a brick of this Saturday morning.
Yeah, yeah, yeah; I have to physically cycle the pistol after each shot.  You can't have everything.  The groups were fantastic and I enjoyed how quiet they were. I have Six (6) unopened bricks left and will buy at least a Full Case of it later this year.

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]
This.  I think it is the same brass and load as CCI Suppressor, but it is copper plated and not HP.  Really good ammo.  I was a big fan of CCI SV until I found it.  Much less mess than the wax coated lead projectiles and consistent/accurate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, yeah, yeah; I have to physically cycle the pistol after each shot.  You can't have everything.  The groups were fantastic and I enjoyed how quiet they were. I have Six (6) unopened bricks left and will buy at least a Full Case of it later this year.

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/C/C/CCI-Quiet---.22LR_-40gr._-LRN_-Brick-of-500.jpg
View Quote
I bought a bunch of it during The Drought of 13-14 when super subsonic was about the only 22 you could find.  I use it in my Savage, cause well, bolt action.  It is stupid quiet in the sparrow.  Truly just hear the firing pin click, and depending on back stop, sometimes the bullet Thumping into said backstop.  For me though, pretty accurate at 25 yards, but....fell clean off the paper at 50.  Crazy crazy amount of drop.  But, it is fun to show off how quiet it can be!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#39]
After all my bulk pack garbage is gone I'm sticking with CCI SV from here on out
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After all my bulk pack garbage is gone I'm sticking with CCI SV from here on out
View Quote
I plan to keep using bulk packs for pistols, and save the SV for the rifles.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/C/C/CCI-Quiet---.22LR_-40gr._-LRN_-Brick-of-500.jpg
View Quote
@GiggleSmith where did you get this in Bulk? I got a few 50 round packs with a savage I bought used, and it's so stupid quiet it's fantastic. I  got decent results in close, but I think I was skipping them into the target at 100 yards. still really nice to teach new shooters and I do enjoy the challenge with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would too but my m&p22 full-size and mosquito both choke on automatch, federal blue and red, golden bullets, m22, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. CCI SV just plain works.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@GiggleSmith where did you get this in Bulk? I got a few 50 round packs with a savage I bought used, and it's so stupid quiet it's fantastic. I  got decent results in close, but I think I was skipping them into the target at 100 yards. still really nice to teach new shooters and I do enjoy the challenge with them.
View Quote
Fun Show.
An ammunition vendor had some so I nearly bought nearly  case of them.  As it was I bought 8 bricks worth. (I didn't quite have enough money for a full case...)
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yuuuuuup
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
They also sell by the case with free shipping:  https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-quiet-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-lead-round-nose-960-p-3345.aspx
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I would too but my m&p22 full-size and mosquito both choke on automatch, federal blue and red, golden bullets, m22, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. CCI SV just plain works.
View Quote
That's odd... I would have presumed they would like the HV more than the SV.

My .22LR AR w/ CMMG bolt choked on Aguila SV, but runs Federal red box and Rem. Thunderbolts just fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My .22LR AR w/ CMMG bolt choked on Aguila SV, but runs Federal red box and Rem. Thunderbolts just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap! Maybe I'm thinking of minimags.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the link. I bought a case, as 5000rds was $18.00 shipping, and 1000rds was $13.00 shipping.
Today I checked, and the price was nolonger on sale. ARF buyers strike again.

I run a thermal sight equipped, suppressed, aftermarket parts built 10/22 for night vermin control.
Saw a large mouse at 20yds digging in my sunflower seed droppings under the bird feeder. First shot went high, mouse froze, 2nd shot fucked that mouse up.

Can't wait for Rocky Racoon to show up one night.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#49]
My go to round is the CCI subsonic, and the Gemtech subsonic. I bought a full case of each.

My favorites as well - Gemtech Outback II-T on an S&W M&P-15/22
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top