Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 4:34:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You know I dont know much since I am a rookie in the NFA world. I have been shopping like a mofo for how I wanted to build a can. It appears to me that 1.355 and 1.372 cones are everywhere. That makes me think those are the more popular sizes.

I agree though. 1 3/8 x 24 should be the mounting thread pitch. and I wish the damn companies would do that same with the muzzle end so I could buy a different end cap or I could include the design on the form 1 saying that there would be different end caps.

I would also love to see the guys who are making cones to kind of pick up on the quiet bore idea. Guys like me with a hand drill only can make a cheap 9mm or .22 can. But the fancy stuff like my 556 can, I am letting nick handle that. Which brings me to the main problem when I get my stamp back soon. What the hell am I going to do about drilling the end cap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the Form1boards group buy poll, 1.372 cones would seem to be the most popular.

I tried to get a big machine shop we use to do the same, but, once the guy saw how many variations of stuff there was, he wasn't game. He's been in the business long enough to know better. He did say, however, that if a single size (baffle) was in demand, he probably do it. He just wasn't going to do a run of this cone, that cone, another cone. He said he'd dedicate a machine to baffles and one to tubes of various lengths.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There's really nothing that's going to be Omega mount compatible without boring.  I mean, yes, you can cut those threads in tubing without boring it, but then you're looking at a really heavy tube  (.087" wall) for which there are no readily available internals, and there's the other issue of having to run a spacer off the Omega mounts, which are all different lengths, so you'd lose that easy modularity.

1.500 OD 1.360 ID is readily available in CWSR Ti tube, and it's pretty easy to find 1.500 OD 1.375 ID seamless  tubing (304 or 316 SS, as well as 4130), but all of those are gonna require adapters to run 1.375-24 mounts.

In short, if he wants to make tubes that take existing internals, he's gonna be using the same stuff everyone else is, and if he wants to sell Omega compatible tubes that will take common cup sizes, he's gonna be deep boring.

Of course, we all know I went a completely different route, make internals to fit appropriate size & WT tubing, not the other way around.  

Top Top