Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2018 5:57:33 AM EDT
Okay,

I have an older Western Field shotgun 12 gauge, of course it was made by Mossberg for Montgomery Wards or Sears or who ever was selling private branded Mossbergs back in the 70's.

I purchased a furniture set for it, that was listed for the 500/590 series shotguns, black basic synthetic set and the butt stock fits fine with no problem, but the fore end is a small bit narrower in diameter and a small bit shorter than the original factory slide action tube which leads me to believe Mossberg has changed these over the years, so how should I measure the current slide action tube to ensure I purchase the correct one for this fore arm slide, I have two of the synthetic fore ends, so I am sure I could modify one to fit, but I would rather pick up the correct tube to fit the fore end.

How many different slide action tubes did Mossberg make for these guns? and how do I ensure I am getting the right one.  I don't work on shotguns much, so not as familiar as I might be with them, figured you guys might know what I need to actually change out to make the new furniture set work correctly on this gun.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
There have been several lengths and bar configurations used over the years. You might find some info here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Or try Havlin Sales.  They are like the gurus on Mossberg stuff, and have stickies explaining common variations, like the slide tubes.  www.havlinsales.com
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or try Havlin Sales.  They are like the gurus on Mossberg stuff, and have stickies explaining common variations, like the slide tubes.  www.havlinsales.com
View Quote
Thank you, very informative.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Two different length action tubes.  The older 12 ga. shotguns all had the 7"+ long one.  Some newer have the 6"+ one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll second Havlin Sales, great people to do business with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks guys, Havlin got me all fixed up and have now got the new parts on it, must need to find an 18 inch barrel for it and I will be done with one of my bear guns.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, Havlin got me all fixed up and have now got the new parts on it, must need to find an 18 inch barrel for it and I will be done with one of my bear guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check eBay. I've gotten 2 for under 100. Also check out xs front sights. Nice to find the gun when sleeping out in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Check eBay. I've gotten 2 for under 100. Also check out xs front sights. Nice to find the gun when sleeping out in the woods.
View Quote
Well I don't do a lot of camping anymore as my home is located in the woods about 20 miles from the closet town around and have to ride my snowmobile 2 miles just to get to my car in the winter, I am just getting tired of running into bears during the fall if I have to go out to the garage in the evening!  In this close quarters situation, I don't want to use the bear spray, we would not be able to stay in the house for a while it that happened!

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
If these are just meant to live in the garage I'd just cut down the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If these are just meant to live in the garage I'd just cut down the barrel.
View Quote
I could, but I would rather have a factory barrel, I don't like permanently modifying guns that have been handed down through several generations, this one has been around for a long time now.  I could legally modify as I am a FFL 07/02 but barrels are not expensive, so I will just pick one up for it in the configuration I want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top