Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2018 10:39:38 PM EDT
A guy has a nice Mossberg barrel for sale cheap, but it's real tree camo and my gun isn't. I assume it's hydro dipped? How would I strip it and what's under it? Did they blue them before dipping?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I just used grill high temp flat black spray paint from walmart. Stuff worked great and looks parkerized.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose you could try acetone, but be aware that it may only take part of the dip off, and that the barrel could potentially look worse. Maybe try a little on an inconspicuous spot before going all in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
A little late to the party but figured it's worth a shot. I've removed hydrodip on many dozens of guns and each time it's as much of a pain in the ass as the last. Acetone is a must. Submerge the metal parts in acetone for 10-15 minutes (plastic parts too if you're brave or just scrub them with an acetone soaked steel wool pad) then either take steel wool (any grade) soaked in acetone or sandblast (works best if you have access to one) to the parts. You will likely have to soak, scrub/blast, soak, scrub/blast until it's all done.
As someone stated earlier, the underlying finish will probably suck so be prepared to refinish with anything from BBQ grill paint for that classy look or Cerakote.

Depending on how the hydrodip was applied at first, how it's been treated since, and the age all affect the ease of removal. I've had a few that required very little scrubbing, others took hours. You will likely have a good bit of hydrodip flake off after a couple minutes in acetone, but what doesnt flake off will probably take some elbow grease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top