Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2024 9:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc]
I just bought a mosin and SKS. Both guns have an issue.

With the mosin, I can't get the bolt to pull backwards. I can tell that the various pieces are not in the proper position. The bolt is essentially locked in place. How can I fix this?

Mosin bolt

As far as the sks, it is a Russian gun with a duck ill 30 round magazine. I am trying to push the mag catch back to where I can drop the mag but it won't go quite for enough back. Is there a trick to make this work? It is so close to clearing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
On the mosin it appears the safety is engaged. Pull back on the rear knob and move to right. It will be stiff , but should fall into that channel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By rssc:
I just bought a mosin and SKS. Both guns have an issue.

With the mosin, I can't get the bolt to pull backwards. I can tell that the various pieces are not in the proper position. The bolt is essentially locked in place. How can I fix this?

Mosin bolt

As far as the sks, it is a Russian gun with a duck ill 30 round magazine. I am trying to push the mag catch back to where I can drop the mag but it won't go quite for enough back. Is there a trick to make this work? It is so close to clearing.
View Quote

Not to sound rude, but the trick on your SKS is to remove your trigger group, then take the mag out. Then toss that mag in the trash and find a fixed 10 round milsurp russian to put back in her.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sajer:
On the mosin it appears the safety is engaged. Pull back on the rear knob and move to right. It will be stiff , but should fall into that channel.
View Quote

Thank you so much. This worked.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BDA:

Not to sound rude, but the trick on your SKS is to remove your trigger group, then take the mag out. Then toss that mag in the trash and find a fixed 10 round milsurp russian to put back in her.
View Quote

Thanks a lot for the info. The trigger guard is stubborn to come out. I am putting a little oil on that button and letting it soak in. I definitely plan on picking up a surplus 10 rounder and putting it in there. Point taken on the 30 rd being junk and also kinda lame.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not unusual to have to use a punch and hammer to push the trigger guard latch enough to release it. Unless it's an east German SKS, the machining and fitting tend to be typically "soviet/PRC".
You'll likely have to pay upwards of $60 for the correct factory 10-rounder, but it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:15:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#6]
On the SKS, cock it and put it on safe before dropping the trigger group. The buttons can be very stiff and might require something like a Phillips screwdriver to press hard enough. I stand the rifle with its butt up and push downward on a angle.
Some duck bills are fixed non-removable without taking the trigger group out. A little bulge keeps them from clearing the trigger group ears. It can be ground off to make a detachable mag. Most detachable mags require the SKS bolt to be to the rear for inserting and removing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it has to be on safe to pull the guard off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Don’t by the 20 round Chinese mag I saw two of them not feed right at the ranges…

The 10 round is best or the zytel 5 round works too I had that for hunting when I lived in ny
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys, thanks again for all the help. I'm happy to say I have the mosin in working order and the sks is taken apart. I've looked at ginbroker and ebay for a replacement russian 10 round magazine. Does anyone know if there is an online vendor that is selling these for a good price? I'd prefer to do that over the gunbroker/ebay thing.

Thanks again for all the help. I realize my questions are very basic but although I've been into guns for a long time, this is my first move into mosins and sks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys, thanks again for all the help. I'm happy to say I have the mosin in working order and the sks is taken apart. I've looked at ginbroker and ebay for a replacement russian 10 round magazine. Does anyone know if there is an online vendor that is selling these for a good price? I'd prefer to do that over the gunbroker/ebay thing.

Thanks again for all the help. I realize my questions are very basic but although I've been into guns for a long time, this is my first move into mosins and sks.
View Quote

Places like SARCO, GunPartsCorp (aka Numrich Arms), Northridge International, Liberty Tree Collectors, APEX, EveryGunPart, etc. are the usual go-to, but the surplus market is always in a state of flux and you'll have to constantly check inventory. You may be waiting a very long time. If you can find one on EBay or Gunbroker at anything less than $100, I'd go ahead and get it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PigBat:

Places like SARCO, GunPartsCorp (aka Numrich Arms), Northridge International, Liberty Tree Collectors, APEX, EveryGunPart, etc. are the usual go-to, but the surplus market is always in a state of flux and you'll have to constantly check inventory. You may be waiting a very long time. If you can find one on EBay or Gunbroker at anything less than $100, I'd go ahead and get it.
View Quote

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there a way to tell the difference between a chinese, Russian, etc. Sks mag? Also are all Russian mags serialized to the gun? I'm seeing some sellers on gunbroker saying they have russian mags which are not serialized to the gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a way to tell the difference between a chinese, Russian, etc. Sks mag? Also are all Russian mags serialized to the gun? I'm seeing some sellers on gunbroker saying they have russian mags which are not serialized to the gun.
View Quote

Every Russian was serialized the same as the gun. Replacements when refurbed may have been but heard they may not in some cases. So I guess stock replacement parts are not so may be legit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

Every Russian was serialized the same as the gun. Replacements when refurbed may have been but heard they may not in some cases. So I guess stock replacement parts are not so may be legit.
View Quote

Thank you for the info. It's very helpful!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If I was looking for a ten round replacement mag for a Russian SKS, I'd go with one with no serial#.  Why advertise that the rifle isn't matching?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:
If I was looking for a ten round replacement mag for a Russian SKS, I'd go with one with no serial#.  Why advertise that the rifle isn't matching?
View Quote
The only un serialized ten round I know of were Chinese and they aren't easy to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top