Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:

It’s an experiment I keep meaning to do but fail to make time for.
View Quote

Yeah, same. I’ll add it to my list of future RoF experiments. I just don’t flip selectors all the way very often except to screw around.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

Yeah, same. I’ll add it to my list of future RoF experiments. I just don’t flip selectors all the way very often except to screw around.
View Quote

FAFO, bro!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By arndog123:

I haven’t even tried my Wolfman on 556 or 762x39 yet.  Your post makes me want to now.

View Quote

Do it!  And let me know if you agree or think I'm crazy!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

Do it!  And let me know if you agree or think I'm crazy!
View Quote

Turns out that you’re right about the Mojave. Also, the driveshaft spline features are surprisingly practically located. Dunno if the price or risk is worth it or not, but the performance and weight are very good, with no apparent downsides, at least while pretty new.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Turns out that you’re right about the Mojave. Also, the driveshaft spline features are surprisingly practically located. Dunno if the price or risk is worth it or not, but the performance and weight are very good, with no apparent downsides, at least while pretty new.
View Quote

Did you get a chance to shoot one?  I really think the Mojave is an extremely well thought out can.  I really think it's worth it and there isn't any risk.  Dead Air will come back stronger and better, with lessons learned.  I kick myself for not buying a Mojave when Capitol Armory had them with a free tax stamp a few months back!

I would have been beside myself if cans like this would have existed back in the early/mid 2000s when the "best" 9mm cans were the SRT Matrix, AAC Evolution 9, and whatever Gemtech was selling at the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Mojave ran fine with P-Series booster and EZ-LOK on my Glock and Platypus.  

I love this can, I might buy another one just to have one with a booster and one with a Xeno for the PCC.  Even in short mode, the performance is phenomenal, I never thought a short 9mm can could sound this good on a pistol.  

Sounds slightly better than Obsidian 9 in long mode, sounds incredibly better in short vs short, and the Mojave has way less blowback with both.   I did an ammo buffet and generally consider Remington UMC followed by AE the nastiest 147gr ammo, and the Mojave was exceptionally better and had reduced blowback.  

There is some serious engineering magic going on with the Mojave.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered a second Mojave.  One for pistol and one for PCC, the can is so good.  

Wish I was rich, but it's time to sell some stuff although that's how much I like shooting the Mojave.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't argue with that.  The Mojave is indeed a sweet can that took everything I like in a 9mm can into consideration.

But I'm a weirdo and decided to take a chance on the funky 'purposely induced porosity'.  Maybe if my daughter is able to secure a scholarship this summer, I'll pho on a Mojave.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
Mojave ran fine with P-Series booster and EZ-LOK on my Glock and Platypus.  
View Quote

did you just pull the standard booster out and put the p series one in? got a pic?

i have mojaves in the store now so this is good to know that it takes p series stuff. i still really wish they didnt use a THIRD piston pattern.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#10]
I unscrewed the old booster and screwed a P-series booster in.   I'm not advising anyone to do this.

I have zero doubt that the newer booster is better, a lot of effort was spent into making something so intricate with all the parts too.   Times change,  ideas and concepts improve, as the world moves forward in many ways including piston booster systems.  I am grateful that the Mojave was considerately designed to use the existing P-Series accessories, and, although the old booster may not be better, the rest of the can is so incredible that it doesn't matter.  

The reduced blowback of the Mojave is significant.   At RSL (Redneck Science Laboratories) we went out in the dark with the dirtiest ammo I could find (I'm talking about you UMC and American Eagle) and used a flashlight to directly observe the blowback with our high-speed biological observation device and it was awesome how much better the Mojave was at reducing the gas blowback in comparison to other brands on both PCC and pistol.  

I can say, Please @Green0, can you please make EZ an option for the Mojav? I love EZ LOK and I love this can.   You can borrow my piston.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Dead Air’s website says the P-series stuff is compatible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#13]
Dead Air’s website says the P-series stuff is compatible.
View Quote

yeah but its still not the right piston for it, i just didnt realize you could thread the p housing in it in a super weird round about way. i also see DA offers all three pistons on their site now:

https://deadairsilencers.com/product-category/accessories/mounts/pistons/

i had a couple of minutes today with a mojave. the print quality on this thing is SUPER nice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm kind of curious how well Mojave would work on a P7M8 with a fixed barrel spacer, given that the low back pressure aspect seems to play well with blowback PCC's. We did some P7M13's way back at AAC with a modified Phantom direct thread K-baffle can. The suppressed gas delayed blowback action sounded great to people on either side of the shooter, but they were barky to the shooter and back pressure made the slide movement vigorous. Those suppressed P7M13's would eject brass into the next zip code like a 91/33.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
given that the low back pressure aspect seems to play well with blowback PCC's.
View Quote
particularly with sub-optimal bolt mass, or that’s what I seem to be noticing. Still very effective on better hosts.

Further study required.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm kind of curious how well Mojave would work on a P7M8 with a fixed barrel spacer, given that the low back pressure aspect seems to play well with blowback PCC's. We did some P7M13's way back at AAC with a modified Phantom direct thread K-baffle can. The suppressed gas delayed blowback action sounded great to people on either side of the shooter, but they were barky to the shooter and back pressure made the slide movement vigorous. Those suppressed P7M13's would eject brass into the next zip code like a 91/33.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Interesting. I’m not sure what I would have expected to happen, but if forced to guess, I would have assumed the added backpressure would also energized the gas delay mechanism to balance it out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bballman25] [#17]
I’m considering one of these. Don’t think I ever heard anyone come back with a comparison of the Fly 9 vs the Mojave 9 in short configuration on a pistol. Who wins that battle?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bballman25:
I’m considering one of these. Don’t think I ever heard anyone come back with a comparison of the Fly 9 vs the Mojave 9 in short configuration on a pistol. Who wins that battle?
View Quote

Having heard the Mojave in short and seen the tbac numbers on the Fly 9 in short, I can almost guarantee the Mojave in short will be significantly quieter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Makes sense since the Mojave is 1.5" longer and almost 3 oz heavier...
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bballman25:
View Quote

I still haven’t had time to do it. New baby has really cut into my shooting schedule. I may have to return him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dillhole:

I still haven’t had time to do it. New baby has really cut into my shooting schedule. I may have to return him.
View Quote

😂😂 lol. That’s ok. Don’t return your baby! He’s a little more important than us knuckleheads here on ARF…
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I got 7 cans approved Friday including the Mojave 9 and can’t even decide what host to try first..  It’ll have to wait til next weekend though due to life.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I got 7 cans approved Friday including the Mojave 9 and can’t even decide what host to try first..  It’ll have to wait til next weekend though due to life.
View Quote

That would be like dumping a bucket of tennis balls out for most any dog.  Excitement since you can't decide what to do first.  

Anyone who has something to compare please let us know how the Mojave 9 compares.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

That would be like dumping a bucket of tennis balls out for most any dog.  Excitement since you can't decide what to do first.  

Anyone who has something to compare please let us know how the Mojave 9 compares.
View Quote

Great analogy

The Mojave 9 got approved with a Lithium 9, TLX 9, Sonus and Alaskan 360 so along with my other 9mm cans I’ll be busy comparing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel1979] [#25]

Great analogy

The Mojave 9 got approved with a Lithium 9, TLX 9, Sonus and Alaskan 360 so along with my other 9mm cans I’ll be busy comparing.
View Quote

I’m curious how the Sonus performs compared to the TLX and Lithium.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#26]
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:

I’m curious how the Sonus performs compared to the TLX and Lithium.
View Quote
I’m curious about comparing all 5 of these new pistol cal cans.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m curious about comparing all 5 of these new pistol cal cans.
View Quote

Yea, true.  That’s a hell of a lineup.  I have a Omega9k in jail for my first 9mm can and most of the ones you just got are in my list for my next.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I unscrewed the old booster and screwed a P-series booster in.   I'm not advising anyone to do this.

I have zero doubt that the newer booster is better, a lot of effort was spent into making something so intricate with all the parts too.   Times change,  ideas and concepts improve, as the world moves forward in many ways including piston booster systems.  I am grateful that the Mojave was considerately designed to use the existing P-Series accessories, and, although the old booster may not be better, the rest of the can is so incredible that it doesn't matter.
View Quote

I sent DA an EMail asking if I could use the booster off my Mojave on my Wolfman and they replied back,

“The mojave 9 comes with its own booster assembly already installed on it. You cannot use the sd500/wolfman booster on the mojave 9 and vice versa, you cannot use the mojave 9 booster assembly on a wolfman suppressor you must use the SD500 booster assembly”

I wonder why?   I took the Mojave 9 booster and screwed it on the Wolfman and it seemed fine.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#29]

I sent DA an EMail asking if I could use the booster off my Mojave on my Wolfman and they replied back,

“The mojave 9 comes with its own booster assembly already installed on it. You cannot use the sd500/wolfman booster on the mojave 9 and vice versa, you cannot use the mojave 9 booster assembly on a wolfman suppressor you must use the SD500 booster assembly”

I wonder why?   I took the Mojave 9 booster and screwed it on the Wolfman and it seemed fine.  

View Quote

They also told me that uncoated muzzle devices would erode the new Nomad faster. On a bolt action non-magnum hunting gun with a normal length barrel and brake mount. I’m not sure the CS guys know these things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

That I don't know.  If I guessed, I would guess it is the reduced mass of the Mojave vs the others, but that's my guess.    I do like being able to grip the large nut on the back of the Mojave booster to loosen the can when threaded, sometimes I really grip it on a taper tight.

One thing I have noticed is my TLX is so light, the o-ring condition doesn't seem to matter.   I use the booster because I use optics.   On my Obsidian, the Glock can develop issues if the o-ring is dry, the piston dirty, or o-ring is worn.  I lube with white lithium grease.  

Very much looking forward to EZ-LOK for Mojave booster, I am very grateful to Griffin for even just considering the project.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#31]
You're perfectly fine to use the Mojave booster in both the Ghost and the Wolfman. However, you have to be sure to use only Mojave pistons with the Mojave booster. Ghost pistons feature a head that is too large in diameter for the Mojave booster, and the pistons for Odessa feature a head that is too short in length to be used with Mojave 9 and the way the piston head indexes with the anti-rotation feature  and registers against the strike surface in the booster housing. Trust me, I did not want to make a third booster piston category at Dead Air, but the added length of the Mojave piston head pays off in alignment.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]
You're perfectly fine to use the Mojave booster in both the Ghost and the Wolfman. However, you have to be sure to use only Mojave pistons with the Mojave booster. Ghost pistons feature a head that is too large in diameter for the Mojave booster, and the pistons for Odessa feature a head that is too short in length to be used with Mojave 9 and the way the piston head indexes with the anti-rotation feature  and registers against the strike surface in the booster housing. Trust me, I did not want to make a third booster piston category at Dead Air, but the added length of the Mojave piston head pays off in alignment.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Better is better, and the longer piston = better alignment makes sense to me.  I genuinely appreciate keeping with the P-series specs and being able to toss an extra P-series booster so I can keep running EZ-LOK at this time.    The other thing I seriously love is being able to use a RRA M4 castle nut wrench on the booster to tighten it.    Thank you for keeping that spec alive.  

My 2 favorite cans to shoot are my Ghost and the Mojave.     The Mojave sounds better, but it's fun to shoot things with a .45
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#33]

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#34]

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Will any other boosters work in the Mojave to enable EZ-Lok in the interim?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The Ghost booster (SD500) will thread into the Mojave and work. I believe there are Ghost sized EZ-LOK pistons available.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#36]
The Ghost booster (SD500) will thread into the Mojave and work. I believe there are Ghost sized EZ-LOK pistons available.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#37]

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

I still can't believe you guys introduced a third piston. I sure hope this can is good.

I sent Austin a piston last week. I'm super glad they're approachable and I can just send them a piston and they'll get it in the production schedule. Big ups to them. So, mojave specific pistons are coming sooner or later.

When I get the piston back I'll shoot it and give my thoughts. We have been selling a few in store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atlmike] [#38]
I think you’ll be pretty hoppy with it.

I was reminiscing about all the pistons I did at AAC over the years.

Original Evo 9
Revised Evo 9
Evo 40/45
Ti-Rant 45
Illusion 9

I will endeavor not to recreate the past at DA.

There is a fixed barrel spacer coming soon for Mojave. It opens up a whole new way to shoot Mojave on an SMG or SBR PCC with the booster housing and piston installed. It allows Mojave to breath……differently. Pretty nice on an MP-5/SP-5.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Wouldn’t a direct thread adapter be better than a fixed barrel spacer as it won’t take up as much internal volume and weigh less.  I already have my Mojave set up that way for my Henry X to shoot 38 specials this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#40]

I was reminiscing about all the pistons I did at AAC over the years.

Original Evo 9
Revised Evo 9
Evo 40/45
Ti-Rant 45
Illusion 9

There is a fixed barrel spacer coming soon for Mojave. It opens up a whole new way to shoot Mojave on an SMG or SBR PCC with the booster housing and piston installed. It allows Mojave to breath……differently. Pretty nice on an MP-5/SP-5.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Better than Xeno / Xeno Wee?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Wouldn’t a direct thread adapter be better than a fixed barrel spacer as it won’t take up as much internal volume and weigh less.  I already have my Mojave set up that way for my Henry X to shoot 38 specials this weekend.
View Quote

Yes. The fixed adapter will weigh less and be a shorter overall package.

But....

On an SP-5, the booster with the fixed barrel spacer was more acoustically pleasing.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Better than Xeno / Xeno Wee?
View Quote

Those are all line extensions and are all backward compatible.

None of the pistons I did, except Evo-9 OG and Evo-9 version 2 were interchangeable.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Yes. The fixed adapter will weigh less and be a shorter overall package.

But....

On an SP-5, the booster with the fixed barrel spacer was more acoustically pleasing.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Good to know!   Guess I’ll have to buy one of those spacers for my SP5 when they’re available.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#44]

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

haha i see what you did there.

also, thank you. i understand that high performance stuff usually means making its own pattern stuff. so i guess its really not the end of the world. griffin is doing their thing, so i guess i cant complain!

one thing while im thinking about it. is there some sort of internal coating on the mojave? one section has red baffles and the modular section has blue baffles (or vise versa). i know carbon will cover it, but im curious.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Those funky colors are actually due to a post print heat treat/stress relief process. The colors vary from "kinda neat" to "1980's purple velour tuxedo". Thank God for Cerakote!

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#46]
@atlmike I am pretty sure I’m running the EZ Lok piston for the Odessa in my Mojave, and it seems to be working fine. Am I making a mistake?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#47]
It could be. The head of the Odessa piston is about .125 (1/8"). Which is fine for the Odessa, since the indexing apparatus is a pair of set screws that protrude into the piston housing and limit the piston's rotational travel. With this arrangement the .125" piston head spires of the Odessa piston are in full contact with the piston housing bore. The Mojave piston housing uses a series of notches milled from the outside to create the rotation limiting feature. Created as such, the amount of contact between the outer diameter of the spires on the piston head and the inner diameter of the piston bore is reduced. The Mojave pistons feature a head length of .235. This added head length increases the amount of engagement between the piston head and the inner diameter of the piston bore.

In a nut shell, if you use an Odessa piston with the shorter head in the Mojave, you could set yourself up for a situation where you have reduced piston contact and reduced alignment.

We started off using Odessa pistons with Mojave until we found that they could pose an alignment issue. It was only then that I lengthened the head to create the unique Mojave piston. Trust me, I wanted to use the existing Odessa piston in a effort to minimize SKU count, but the Mojave piston with the longer head is really crucial to maintain alignment.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dillhole:
@atlmike I am pretty sure I’m running the EZ Lok piston for the Odessa in my Mojave, and it seems to be working fine. Am I making a mistake?
View Quote

Griffin is going to make a mojave specific piston.

I shot a mojave 9 yesterday. I did not experience any sort of 'amazing' supersonic performance. But when compared to my ti rant and subs. It's amazing. To my ears I can't tell a difference.

The ti rant is currently my favorite can and what I push at my store. I will definitely pull the mojave out with the ti rant when trying to sell pistol cans now. It won't be in everyone's budget, but these are worth the extra coin.

I also like that DA is not pushing a 130 dollar a qt cleaner to keep this thing up in tip top shape. I'm looking at you CAT.

Great job mike, DA, and shout out to griffin for making a piston for this. Every once in a while the NFA stars align and something great is born.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Glad you like the Mojave. Comparing it to the Ti-Rant is high praise!

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I just ordered the Mojave 9.  It will be my first Pistol suppressor.  

I feel a little bit foolish while ordering it totally realizing that if I were to get it TODAY I wouldn't even be able to attach it to my hosts...

Host #1:  Sig 226 Tacops.   Has the factory 13.5x1 LH threaded barrel.  
Host #2:  AR9, PCC 7.5" barrel...with 1/2x36 threads.
Host #3:  AR9, PCC 16" barrel...also with 1/2x36 threads.

Mojave comes with 1/2x28 Piston only.  Sigh.

So..I'm looking for a MOJAVE (only, per Mikes reply above) 13.5x1 LH PISTON  and a WOLFMAN 1/2x36 direct thread attachment.  Open to any suggestions as to where to find these OR alternate solutions.
Any other direct thread options I have to attach it to my PCC's?

Thanks in advance!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top