Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/3/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
Got my Mojave 9 the other day from Capitol Armory, after a most fortunate 50-ish day Form 4. Was able to make it out to the range today for just a few minutes to try it out.

I also brought my Fly 9 along for comparison. FYI, I consider the Fly 9 to be nature's most perfect 9mm handgun suppressor.

Host is a Staccato P using Griffin EZ Lok for mounting.

Impressions: The Mojave 9 sounds better. It is probably my best-sounding 9mm handgun suppressor. It is subjectively quieter than the Fly 9, and it has kind of a deeper tone that sounds really nice.

It is also slightly longer and slightly heavier than the Fly 9.

I personally very much value weight, especially in a handgun suppressor, so I think I still give a slight overall edge to the Fly 9 as my favorite, but it is really close. Ask me again tomorrow and I might change my mind. The Fly 9 just feels like it weighs nothing though. The Mojave isn't heavy at all , but it is noticeably heavier than the Fly. I think its only a couple oz heavier, but you can tell.

I did not run either can in short configuration.

Only put about 50 rounds of 147 grain federal syntech and 20 rounds of whatever random 9mm I had in the magazine I grabbed on my way out the door. 115 grain something.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  Looking fwd to your review in the short configuration.  Can you include the Omega 9K to compare too?   That’s my fav can on my Staccato P.  

Got the Mojave 9, Lithium, Sonus, TLX 9 and Alaskan 360 in queue and can’t wait to compare them to my other 9mm cans.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#2]
Originally Posted By dillhole:
FYI, I consider the Fly 9 to be nature's most perfect 9mm handgun suppressor.
View Quote
The Fly 9 just feels like it weighs nothing though.
View Quote
I agree! I absolutely love my Fly9. The only drawback is it's not serviceable, but I wouldn't be willing to add weight for that.  The Mojave 9 isn't serviceable either, is it?

How did the two suppressors compare as far as back pressure / blowback?

From the specs, it looks to me like the Mojave 9 is comparable to the CGS Mod9 weight and size wise, but the CGS can has fairly high back pressure.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

From the specs, it looks to me like the Mojave 9 is comparable to the CGS Mod9 weight and size wise, but the CGS can has fairly high back pressure.
View Quote

I  was out having a conjugal visit with my Mojave 9. It was hosted on a CZ P10C. I had a CGS Kraken with a .45 endcap. It was indoors but suppression seemed close. The blowback was night and day. The Kraken is a gassy spitter. I also shot on an MP5 and it was extremely quiet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 2:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#4]
Originally Posted By Hecklerjones:

I  was out having a conjugal visit with my Mojave 9. It was hosted on a CZ P10C. I had a CGS Kraken with a .45 endcap. It was indoors but suppression seemed close. The blowback was night and day. The Kraken is a gassy spitter. I also shot on an MP5 and it was extremely quiet.
View Quote
Ah!  Good to know.  Thanks.

Yeah, the P-10C is like a worst case for the Kraken / Mod9.  Mine spits gas and junk terribly.  My Kraken is somewhat more well behaved on my CZ P-07 and my S&W Shield.  

But that suppressor made me realize that blowback is a very important factor to consider when choosing a suppressor.  

Does the Nautilus 45 endcap help a lot?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Impressions: The Mojave 9 sounds better. It is probably my best-sounding 9mm handgun suppressor. It is subjectively quieter than the Fly 9, and it has kind of a deeper tone that sounds really nice.
View Quote

aaaaand i think you may have just sold me my first can of 2024. beating the fly 9 is no easy feat, seeing as how a lot of you guys rant and rave about it.

now the super important question. what color do i buy it in?!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree! I absolutely love my Fly9. The only drawback is it's not serviceable, but I wouldn't be willing to add weight for that.  The Mojave 9 isn't serviceable either, is it?

View Quote

I didn't notice the back pressure on either. I guess sophisticated equipment could measure slide speed or something. Neither can has ever blown a bunch of shit in my face though. I know the Mojave is sort of developing a reputation for being very low back pressure though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]

I didn't notice the back pressure on either. ... Neither can has ever blown a bunch of shit in my face though.
View Quote

That answers my question then.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

aaaaand i think you may have just sold me my first can of 2024. beating the fly 9 is no easy feat, seeing as how a lot of you guys rant and rave about it.

View Quote
Isn't the Mojave 3d Printed?  Additive metal whatever...
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

View Quote

I got the all black one, and I think it looks nice. The two-tone one looks pretty cool too though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
Nice!  Looking fwd to your review in the short configuration.  Can you include the Omega 9K to compare too?   That’s my fav can on my Staccato P.  

Got the Mojave 9, Lithium, Sonus, TLX 9 and Alaskan 360 in queue and can’t wait to compare them to my other 9mm cans.
View Quote

I meant to bring my Omega 9k too but forgot. That thing is a great performer for its size though. I love it for 9mm carbine.

I actually brought my other O9K and Lithium with 3 lug to compare on my MP5 clone, but didn't do much with those two. I have another O9K that I've got set up with EZ-Lok that I usually run on a P320.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]

I actually brought my other O9K and Lithium with 3 lug to compare on my MP5 clone, but didn't do much with those two. I have another O9K that I've got set up with EZ-Lok that I usually run on a P320.
View Quote

That's exactly how my O9K's are set up too.  It's definitely a great performer considering how small it is.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496853/Handguns_WIth_Cans_1-3-2024-8-3080683.jpg

I got the all black one, and I think it looks nice. The two-tone one looks pretty cool too though.
View Quote

The Mojave looks like a perfect match for the Staccato.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont need another 9mm can, however the Mojave9 is different enough that I kinda want one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:19:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#14]
View Quote

in some pics the stainless one looks more like a polished color, and in others it looks way darker.

im definitely going to go with black. all my other pistol cans are all black, so ive been looking for an opportunity to branch out (color wise).

looks great with the stacc-y
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought the Mojave dec 31st,glad to keep hearing great things about it,hopefully 7 months or less will roll by fast.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
OP- Thanks for the review. Please compare it to you Omega 9K on the Staccato. It's what I use on mine.
Do you notice your optic front lens getting dirty quickly? Mine does.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:
OP- Thanks for the review. Please compare it to you Omega 9K on the Staccato. It's what I use on mine.
Do you notice your optic front lens getting dirty quickly? Mine does.
View Quote

Yes it gets dirty as shit. Luckily it’s easy to clean.

I’ll bring the Omega 9k, Obsidian 9, and Odessa 9 next time I go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By McGruff1533:
I dont need another 9mm can, however the Mojave9 is different enough that I kinda want one.
View Quote

This was kind of my line of thinking too. Super cool design that seems to actually be functional.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
How did it perform on the MP5?  Looking to pick up two or 3 dedicated sub gun suppressors this winter and I know I’m getting the AAC TiRant 9 and will be getting a SONUS probably. Just looking at the Mojave and I’m interested.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
How did it perform on the MP5?  Looking to pick up two or 3 dedicated sub gun suppressors this winter and I know I’m getting the AAC TiRant 9 and will be getting a SONUS probably. Just looking at the Mojave and I’m interested.
View Quote

look into the OCL lithium for a dedicated sub gun can.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
View Quote

I didn’t run it on the MP5. I do have a p series 3-lug in my parts drawer so I could give it a try if I remember next time.

The lithium sounds good on the mp5 and the Omega 9k is great for its size.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#22]
dillhole - thank you for posting your review
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I have experience with a pretty decent amount of suppressors I feel like but I agree the Mojave blew my mind shooting it on a pistol with supers. With subs it was pretty okay, not like AMAZING to the point I’m going to be telling my grandkids about it someday.

But with supers + pistol host it was crazzzzzy. I’ve never enjoyed shooting 115’s out of a handgun as much as I enjoyed it with the Mojave 9. That’s definitely where that suppressor shines
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AndrewKing:
But with supers + pistol host it was crazzzzzy. I've never enjoyed shooting 115's out of a handgun as much as I enjoyed it with the Mojave 9. That's definitely where that suppressor shines
View Quote
What's the point of that though?

I can see running your chosen supersonic SD load with a K-can so you can defend yourself inside a house without blowing out your ears.  But other than that, I don't get the point of shooting 9mm supers suppressed. Am I missing something?

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the point of that though?

I can see running your chosen supersonic SD load with a K-can so you can defend yourself inside a house without blowing out your ears.  But other than that, I don't get the point of shooting 9mm supers suppressed. Am I missing something?

View Quote

Usually I’d agree and that was always my thought process also. But the way the Mojave projected and redirected the sound away from the shooter and down range it wasn’t what you’d expect. The Mojave shooting supers sounded as good as other suppressors I’ve shot with subs. It’s a unique and weird sound.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AndrewKing:

Usually I'd agree and that was always my thought process also. But the way the Mojave projected and redirected the sound away from the shooter and down range it wasn't what you'd expect. The Mojave shooting supers sounded as good as other suppressors I've shot with subs. It's a unique and weird sound.
View Quote

Wow, that's really interesting. Is it the same effect in both long and short mode?

Hmm. I might need to put one of these on the wish list.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m going to have to run more supers with this can. I honestly wasn’t paying much attention when I ran that one mag.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#29]
UPDATE:

Today I compared the Mojave 9 (long), Fly 9 (long), Obsidian 9 (short), and omega 9k. Outdoor range shooting only 115 gr supers.

The guy who said the Mojave really shines on supers is right on the money. Holy shit this thing is incredible. I mean it really performs great.

None of the other three are in the same universe on supers. They just aren’t. They are very good cans, and I like them a lot, but the Mojave really is incredibly pleasant for the shooter on supersonic 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#30]
UPDATE:

Today I compared the Mojave 9 (long), Fly 9 (long), Obsidian 9 (short), and omega 9k. Outdoor range shooting only 115 gr supers.

The guy who said the Mojave really shines on supers is right on the money. Holy shit this thing is incredible. I mean it really performs great.

None of the other three are in the same universe on supers. They just aren't. They are very good cans, and I like them a lot, but the Mojave really is incredibly pleasant for the shooter on supersonic 9mm.
View Quote
Wow that's crazy. I wonder how Mageever pulled that off and if it was intentional or unintended consequence?

I'd love to know how it does with supers in short mode.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow that's crazy. I wonder how Mageever pulled that off and if it was intentional or unintended consequence?

I'd love to know how it does with supers in short mode.
View Quote

I assume it’s because of the flow through type properties? I’m curious how it compares to other cans with those principles, like the Huxwrx stuff.

I’m also curious how it sounds to bystanders, at different positions relative to the shooter. I was with a buddy today but didn’t really involve him in my little experiment. Didn’t want to waste too much time.

It sounds incredible to the shooter though. Better than most cans sound shooting subs. Really a lot better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#32]

I assume it's because of the flow through type properties? I'm curious how it compares to other cans with those principles, like the Huxwrx stuff.

I'm also curious how it sounds to bystanders, at different positions relative to the shooter. I was with a buddy today but didn't really involve him in my little experiment. Didn't want to waste too much time.

It sounds incredible to the shooter though. Better than most cans sound shooting subs. Really a lot better.
View Quote
That's awesome.  Now I really want one of these.

I wish Mageever was still around. I miss that guy. He always had cool behind the scenes stories and good info about design intent vs what the marketing tells us.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool.   Thanks, now you made the wait for mine to get out of jail even worse..  Makes me want to buy a second one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m having a difficult time understanding how a suppressor can help mitigate the crack of supersonic rounds that happens after the bullet has left the can.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I’m having a difficult time understanding how a suppressor can help mitigate the crack of supersonic rounds that happens after the bullet has left the can.
View Quote

Same here

Cannot defy the physics behind that
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Because normal pistols and pistol cans aren't suppressing supers to less than the crack.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

No clue.

@SilentMike can you explain this phenomenon? I think that’s the guy’s name.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#39]
@Atlmike is actually the poster.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I’ve been wondering the same thing. More specifically, how supers could ever sound as good as subs through other cans.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dale5150] [#41]
Originally Posted By SDet:

Because normal pistols and pistol cans aren't suppressing supers to less than the crack.
View Quote

If this were the case they wouldn't be quieter with subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dale5150:

View Quote

Yeah, even through a .45 k-can, subs are quieter than supers through a full-length 9mm Wolfman.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dale5150:

View Quote

The gas pressure is higher with supers than it is with subs.

Supers will have more flight noise and more gas noise than subs.

Subs drop the loudness of the whole event. I haven't seen a pistol can that drops gas noise to less than the flight noise with supers or subs.

This plot is showing what I'm talking about, but I don't think he has any with supers.

Good job dead air team, guess I have more work to do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't think anyone here said the Mojave suppresses supers quieter than subs, just that the can suppresses supers better than other cans suppress supers.

Or am I reading wrong?

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
You're reading correctly, there seemed to be some confusion about how, and why subs are quieter than supers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think anyone here said the Mojave suppresses supers quieter than subs, just that the can suppresses supers better than other cans suppress supers.

Or am I reading wrong?

View Quote

No, (speaking only for myself) I’m questioning the idea that supers through a Mojave sound as good as subs through literally any other can.

My limited experience indicates that subs through the loudest/highest flow can that I own sound better than supers through the quietest/most restrictive can that I own.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:31:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#48]
Originally Posted By Green0:

It would be pretty impossible as the flight noise of a supersonic 9mm bullet is somewhere in the 150DB range at 1 meter from the flight path.  

The bullet flight is going to be very loud, and in slower bullets, it isn’t as short of a noise as with faster flight speed.

We were shooting supersonic .22lr with a suppressed machine gun indoor trying to troubleshoot reliability issues, and the flight noise even three feet behind and to the side of the gun was loud to the point I put ear plugs in.
View Quote

That’s an interesting point that I haven’t thought of, about velocity IRT dosing, and perception. 9mm tends to be barely left, right, or center of transonic, depending on bullet weight and blah, blah, other factors.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Or am I reading wrong?

View Quote

What I’m saying is that, to me, as the shooter standing behind the gun, supersonic 115 grain 9mm run through the Mojave 9 in long configuration sounds as good as or better than 147 grain subsonic 9mm ammo through the following cans:

- omega 9k
- obsidian 9. (Short config)
- fly 9 (long config)

This is my entirely subjective personal experience, firing all from the same host, at an outdoor range, under identical environmental conditions.

Would a bystander positioned in a different location experience a different result? Sure, maybe.

Would it be different at an indoor range? Maybe

Would it be different with a different host? Maybe

I assume it has to do with the way the pressure waves are directed by the flow path in the can, but I don’t know shit and could be way off. I’m simply stating my own subjective personal experience.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm delighted you guys are enjoying the Mojave. One of the project goals with Mojave was to address back pressure and the amount of blowback present with other designs. I primarily wanted to address the loud ejection port noise you typically get with a pistol sized 9mm can on direct blowback SMG style pistols and PCC's. I also wanted to see if I could address the amount of blowback experienced with a lot of striker fired pistols. The Mojave features a meandering flow cage that allows a portion of the gasses to traverse the length of the silencer independently of the projectile path. As some have mentioned, the higher pressures generated by supersonic 9mm normally manifest as louder ejection port noise to the shooter and those nearby. The flow cage depressurizes the booster and initial chamber in a very efficient manner, resulting in a more pleasant acoustic experience for the shooter and less particulate blowback.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top