Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2022 2:28:24 PM EDT
I have an SBR 10/22 in a folding stock. I think I want to put it back into the factory wooden stock. I will need to cut down the front of the stock and open up the channel for my short bull barrel and a suppressor. Anybody done anything like that? Any recommendations?
I would then need to refinish the stock. I guess I would strip the whole stock. Am I just sanding the whole thing or is there a chemical product to use?
Thank you for the help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd likely hog out the channel with a fat round dowel wrapped in sandpaper, and for ease use a stripper to remove the old finish which should just melt off.  Then pick your poison of what to use to refinish.  Should be a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd likely hog out the channel with a fat round dowel wrapped in sandpaper, and for ease use a stripper to remove the old finish which should just melt off.  Then pick your poison of what to use to refinish.  Should be a fun project.
View Quote

This. I’ve done it a half-dozen times, it is what originally got me into stock making 20 years ago. Keep in mind you cannot screw up, there are tons of 10/22 stocks out there. Do it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Working on my 2nd 10-22 stock project. I only used ugly or beater wood stocks.

Taped together 2 of the same size sockets that are close to the diameter for the barrel channel, used long extension for a handle and wrapped in sand paper.
A dremel router to rough out the area works faster.

Paint, stain, dye, shallac, polyurethane the wood.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Any pics?
Thanks for all the info so far.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used citri-strip to remove the factory finish, spray it on, let it sit for about an hour, the finish just scrapes off easily. Let dry and sand, I start with 80 grit first then 120 and 220 to finish. To open the barrel channel I used a 1" wood dowel wrapped with 60 grit sand paper for faster removal of material initially.
If you plan to stain it use a stain conditioner before applying stain, if you don't it will turn out blotchy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top