Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2022 11:21:28 AM EDT
I have a neighbor who negligently lets their dogs escape their yard sometimes.  Recently when the dogs broke out they mauled a neighbor's cat and killed one of our chickens.  

Can I safely load BBs or other shot in my BP revolver, and will it be effective?  My main purposes for going the BP route is because it skirts the "no firearms discharge in city limits" statute, and it's easier for my wife to wield and shoot a revolver than the 12 gauge SxS I have "on standby," but prefer not to use.  

Could this be done?  SHOULD this be done?  How would you do it?  I am open to any suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it can be done.
Assuming you have a 44/45 pistol, 12 grains of 3F or similar fake BP, cork wad over powder, BBs, felt wad followed by a cardboard wad.

Will it work? Probably not as well as you hope.

Just use a ball and shoot the dog if its killing your livestock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your input so far.  

I don't necessarily want to kill the dogs- with snake shot, or anything else- they're beautiful dogs and it's not their fault the owner is a dumbass.  I figure a snake shot hit on the rump or side will be enough to deter them from our property.  

I also don't want to use a standard ball because you have to aim *really* low at short range, and especially on a moving target that's asking for trouble; plus, I figure a snake shot miss is less likely to harm our chickens than a ball miss could.  

People light off fireworks (or, they could themselves be shooting BPs, hard to say) in our neighborhood all the time, no matter the day or season; either it's allowed/condoned or people don't know or care if it's fireworks or a BP shot and so nobody makes a call about it.  My wife has fired three shots from a .22 in our yard to scare off a (different) pack of dogs one time, and there was apparently no call made then either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Have 6 rat/snake shots in the drawer. 22's
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happens when the wounded dog(s) return(s) home?
View Quote

The owners probably won't do anything; they have made it clear that they *don't* care about these dogs.

Our neighbor, whose cat was mauled by the dogs, approached the owners saying she's prepared to shoot the dogs next time they're on her property.  The owners grabbed one of the dogs and held it up in front of her, taunting her to shoot it right now.

The rest of us on the block likely won't "rat out" to the owners who fired shots, if and when it happens.
Some people have already told me creative ways to kill the dogs *before* they leave the owners' property again, and I have dissuaded them from those ideas.  The owners have no friends on our street, is my point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have 6 rat/snake shots in the drawer. 22's
View Quote

Now that I think of it, I do have some primer-only .22 loads with a 40 grain bullet that could be deployed...maybe a few of those in the cylinder alongside snake shot would be feasible.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Red Rider BB gun!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Red Rider BB gun!
View Quote

We have a .17 caliber pellet gun, but it takes a while to pump up to dog-repel level.  

I suppose it's worth it to go see if my Daisy BB rifle is still in the garage somewhere...
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i've used BB guns in the red ryder class to encourage canines to leave the area without anyone noticing.  But to REALLY get their attention (if you are close enough anyway) get some good pepper spray.  Used SABRE Red at work on many dogs, and they still remember me from the temporary Hell i unleashed on them.  No permeant damage to the animal but it does leave them with a good bit of fear of ever going through that pain again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Rock salt.

Op. You crank off a dragoon inside city limits, bp or not.   Your gonna get your pee pee slapped.

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rock salt.

Op. You crank off a dragoon inside city limits, bp or not.   Your gonna get your pee pee slapped.

View Quote

I wish I had a dragoon but the best I have is an 1860 Army right now.    

Greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions for lower noise/velocity options.  I think it'll be much faster and easier to employ one of those.

It's nice to have a couple suggestions for making a snake shot load, though!  I may still try it out on the range some time just for fun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
What about something spicy like Fox Labs?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone called the cops yet? I hate getting the fuzz involved, but you can likely get your neighbors to sort their shit out better that way than wounding their dogs. At least for a first step.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad used to load popcorn kernels in 12 ga. for persuading strange dogs/cats to leave and not come back.

He said it worked pretty good if they were close enough to get hit by the kernels.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Go buy a Red Ryder BB gun. They are low powered and wont penetrate skin or kill the dog. Don't shoot it in the eye...
They will get it moving though.

We just had news article that was posted here on AR15.com where some guy tried with a pellet gun, killed the dog - slowly, and got charged for animal cruelty.  

Don't be that guy.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/st-charles-county-sheriff-deputy-charged-pellet-gun-death-neighbors-dog/63-9883476d-bdd2-4670-9814-a9aed0284fe1

https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/ag-files-charges-against-man-who-shot-neighbors-dog-with-pellet-gun/

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/crime/2018/03/20/brown-arrested-animal-cruelty/443378002/
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My dad used to load popcorn kernels in 12 ga. for persuading strange dogs/cats to leave and not come back.

He said it worked pretty good if they were close enough to get hit by the kernels.
View Quote

Interesting!

A neighbor called animal control on the owners during another incident (I don't know the complete details) and nobody has seen the dogs since.  I'm keeping a lot of these suggestions in my back pocket for later though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top