Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2018 12:52:07 AM EDT
I just sent in a form 1 on an H&R 12ga. I am going to do a modern version of the Handy Gun. I have several different shotgun barrels that are fitted to this frame so it gives me a lot of options. Now that the wait has begun, I was wondering if anyone else has done an H&R single shot. Looking for ideas.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a barrel in a caliber from that era? 218 Bee and 32-20 come to mind.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a barrel in a caliber from that era? 218 Bee and 32-20 come to mind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an NEF SB1 12 ga with a 10.2" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just sent in a form 1 on an H&R 12ga. I am going to do a modern version of the Handy Gun. I have several different shotgun barrels that are fitted to this frame so it gives me a lot of options. Now that the wait has begun, I was wondering if anyone else has done an H&R single shot. Looking for ideas.

thanks
View Quote
You can do just about anything with these guns...

Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can do just about anything with these guns...

https://i.imgur.com/7tgaxHd.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's just as entertaining as it looks!

I also have a whole lot of barrels for it in various lengths and gauges, which is why I think it may be one of the best stamps I paid. Stocks, pistol grips, bird's head grips, full length barrels, different forearms... I can set it up however I like.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Question on one of these or even a Thompson contender, if you did a form 1 on these as a sbs can you put rifle barrels on that are shorter than 16?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Are these hypothetical rifled barrels smoothbore/shotgun in origin, and designed to use shotgun ammunition? The answer the BATFE gave me back a couple decades was "no-go", and they wouldn't let me register an Encore as both a SBS and SBR. I stuck with the Topper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Before I sent in my form 1, I sent a letter to the technical branch asking about rifled barrels and told it was a no-go as well, they did say other shotgun barrels where fine as long as I didn't go below the length I submitted on my form 1.  I have 9 shotgun barrels and various stocks for it. Once I get my form 1 back, I will start working on it. I have more in the stamp than I do the gun but think it will b a very fun project.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...which is a false statement on their part.
View Quote
Absolutely, but it used to be their policy. I'm sure it gets mentioned now and then, even now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm completely aware. It's a "fact" that gets thrown around the internet on a weekly basis. It may have used to have been their policy, but they've never had a statute/regulation to back it up.

Which still makes it false.
View Quote
No argument here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing the technical branch has never been is consistent. I received the letter from them about 4 months ago, it only took them 8 months to answer my questions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question on one of these or even a Thompson contender, if you did a form 1 on these as a sbs can you put rifle barrels on that are shorter than 16?
View Quote
I would argue that it is legal to put a short rifled barrel on a registered SBS.

The definition of an SBS includes wording to the effect that a firearm "made from a shotgun" and under 26" length also meets the definition of an SBS.

You can't take a Title I shotgun, remove the buttstock, install a pistol grip & short barrel, and call it an AOW. That's because it is still an SBS because it was made from a shotgun.

Similarly if you take an SBS and install a rifled barrel, you still have an SBS because it was made from a shotgun, so long as the resulting firearm is less than 26" in length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top