Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2020 2:59:03 PM EDT
I am looking for the lowest profile pouch i can find for the 6 o'clock position on my battle belt. To clarify my belt's primary use is for range trips and shooting/hiking in the woods.  I am not trained on needles and nose tubes so I have limited myself to a 4" Olaes bandage, a CAT TQ, and a few misc. 4" gauze squares vetrap and bandaids in a ziplock bag.

Trying to be realistic, i understand that my needs are more along the lines of minor cuts scrapes etc. but still have the Olaes and TQ in case of a major accident.

I reallt like the size and function of the BFG micro TKN but have read that it may fall out if not used with their stuff.  My thought is that the Olaes bandage and misc things i have should fit just fine and be large enough to be retained by the elastic on the shell...then use the BFG Hammock in conjunction with it for my TQ.  Thoughts?

What about the Coyote Tac Burrito?  I know it does not detach but it's not like i cant remove my belt if needed.  I'm also thinking that i really only have two things that would be in it...the Olaes bandage and a ziplock bag with the other misc items.  Doesnt seem to be a big deal to reach behind, pull open the flap and grab the bandage and baggie.  The TQ would be slung below in the included elastic straps.  

You alls knowledge is appreciated.
Happy Easter!

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the ITS ETA Trauma Kit (Tallboy). It is slightly larger than what you posted but it does a very good job for what it is. Add two MOLLE Sticks and it detaches from PALS in about 1 second.

There are also some quality knock-offs as well:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

https://store.itstactical.com/products/its-eta-trauma-kit-pouch-tallboy
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you’re carrying a TQ, you need a chest seal. Being prepared for a major trauma but only for limbs isn’t smart. Gloves for PPE, kinda important as well.

For your size requirements, I’d recommend two things: 1) drop the trauma stuff and just have boo boo items in a burrito, or 2) get a Trex Arms pouch with appropriate trauma items.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an HSGI bleeder on my armor thats pretty small but fits a full bleeder kit minus TQ (4" Olaes, combat gauze, z-fold gauze, 14ga needle, folded chest seal, nose hose and gloves).  I keep a TQ next to it in a separate pouch.

The Esstac med pouch is pretty low profile too.

Quoted:
Check out the ITS ETA Trauma Kit (Tallboy). It is slightly larger than what you posted but it does a very good job for what it is. Add two MOLLE Sticks and it detaches from PALS in about 1 second.
View Quote

I have a ETS trauma pouch on a pack of mine and while nice, I definitely would never call it low profile, especially for a belt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’re carrying a TQ, you need a chest seal. Being prepared for a major trauma but only for limbs isn’t smart. Gloves for PPE, kinda important as well.

For your size requirements, I’d recommend two things: 1) drop the trauma stuff and just have boo boo items in a burrito, or 2) get a Trex Arms pouch with appropriate trauma items.
View Quote

Yep, got some gloves in there and the Olaes has a chest seal in it.

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, got some gloves in there and the Olaes has a chest seal in it.

Thanks for the advice!
View Quote

That seal is essentially a backup, it is super thin and needs a ton of tape to tape it down because it has no adhesive on it.  I dont recall seeing a large roll of 2" medical tape in your loadout.  I would actually rather use the wrapper in that case.  

A hyfin compact seal is only like $12.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That seal is essentially a backup, it is super thin and needs a ton of tape to tape it down because it has no adhesive on it.  I dont recall seeing a large roll of 2" medical tape in your loadout.  I would actually rather use the wrapper in that case.  

A hyfin compact seal is only like $12.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.coyotetacticalsolutions.com/burrito/

The Coyote Tactical Solutions Burrito is what I use.  It carries everything I need; a CAT TQ, NAR Emergency bandage, 2x HyFin compact chest seals, Quickclot, an ARS decompression needle, and some gloves.  It fits other types of medical equipment if need be, but after years of using all of this stuff in a professional capacity, that's what I chose to put in it.

To fit the OLEAS, you'd need the flat packed one.

EDIT:  Agreed to whomever said that the 'chest seal' included in the OLEAS is a backup.  Get some Hyfins.  They're cheap, work extremely well, and don't require any 2" medical tape which is a PITA to carry in a smaller pack.    
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
So I'll reevaluate and reask....4" flat oleas, twin pack hyfin compact, gloves, misc gauze and such...sounds like the Burrito woild be gtg but will these items work with the BFG micro?

Thanks again for the help and advice...good folks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Get the boo boo shit out of your IFAK and put it in its own spot. You dont need it in a hurry and dont want to have to deploy an IFAK to get a bandaid. Repacking a tight IFAK is a pain. Your IFAK should have:

TQ
Gauze (prefered with hemostatic agent)
Chest seals (Fox or Hyfin are smallest)
Tape (consider flat tape for saved space)
Compression bandage (consider something other than whatyou are using because its a big thick item and you cant fit it in most low profile carriers. The compressiin bandage is the LEAST important item anyway)

Pretty much in that order of importance. The NPA and chest dart is easy to learn even from youtube vids, but it is for other people, not you, and you have massive civil liability if you use it and are not an EMT or dont have presigned waivers from guys in your group.

Keep the TQ outside your BFG pouch if you go that route because its too small. If you go bigger than BFG consider a SOFTW for a TQ. Its way easier to fit in an IFAK when flat packed and way easier to put on a leg with the clip. I prefer the CAT for arms and SOFTW for legs.

Seems like you went about this all wrong getting items before training and bulky stuff when you want lowprofile and compact. You cant fit a big thing in a little bag.

Also why the need for a compact bag at 6oclock? To me the width to retain beltspace is important projection to rear less so. Thickness much less of a deal wirh a plate carrier also... in fact some thickness makes dricing more comfortable. AWS has a great low back pouch for larger items.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.coyotetacticalsolutions.com/burrito/

The Coyote Tactical Solutions Burrito is what I use.  It carries everything I need; a CAT TQ, NAR Emergency bandage, 2x HyFin compact chest seals, Quickclot, an ARS decompression needle, and some gloves.  It fits other types of medical equipment if need be, but after years of using all of this stuff in a professional capacity, that's what I chose to put in it.

To fit the OLEAS, you'd need the flat packed one.

EDIT:  Agreed to whomever said that the 'chest seal' included in the OLEAS is a backup.  Get some Hyfins.  They're cheap, work extremely well, and don't require any 2" medical tape which is a PITA to carry in a smaller pack.    
View Quote

I've been looking at this pouch.  Can it attach to molle, or just a belt?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Another IFAK that's a little newer is Live The Creed's Responder IFAK. Seems to be a decent size, yet compact enough to be out of the way. It also has more retention if that is a concern, spilling medical everywhere doesnt make for a good time. Lol

https://ltcreed.com/collections/frontpage/products/responder-ifak?variant=30701074808898
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It can only fit a belt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Again, i appreciate all of the input.  

As i mentioned, I am not going to war or on patrol or kicking in doors. I'm simply looking for a way to carry some simple medical gear for accidents and God forbid a major acident while shooting at the range or hiking through the woods/hunting.  

As for training, my wife is a nurse and we have walked through the use of a compression type bandage and she really liked the versatility of the Olaes.  The bulk of the bandage has never really bothered me but I thought i might try shrink things down. Sounds like i may just stick with the Maxpedition pouch that i'm currently using.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As i mentioned, I am not going to war or on patrol or kicking in doors. I'm simply looking for a way to carry some simple medical gear for accidents and God forbid a major acident while shooting at the range or hiking through the woods/hunting.  

As for training, my wife is a nurse and we have walked through the use of a compression type bandage and she really liked the versatility of the Olaes.  The bulk of the bandage has never really bothered me but I thought i might try shrink things down. Sounds like i may just stick with the Maxpedition pouch that i'm currently using.
View Quote

Ive never had a problem with the 4" bandages in vacuum sealed wrap inside smaller IFAK pouches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are also some quality knock-offs as well:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07KT9QYJ5

https://store.itstactical.com/products/its-eta-trauma-kit-pouch-tallboy
View Quote
so 63.00 for an empty case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, I’ve been here. You apparently can’t call it an IFAK and have a single bandaid or other “boo boo” type item in there or some guys’ heads will explode that you’re doing it all wrong. Just call it something else and ask your question again. Yes, I know it sounds really silly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used the BFG micro Ifak on patrol and it works very well. Never had a problem with it falling out and I made my own med pouch with stuff I like. You can use rubber bands to make a compact little pouch and it holds in place very well with the extra friction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d also add frog tape as that can give you some more options and a flat compact emergency pressure dressing. They’re on amazon for like 10$.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to hijack OP, but those with the BFG Micro Trauma kit, does the 4” flat Olaes fit in there with a Hyfin and QC?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at the sotech viper - there are 2 sizes
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Coyote tactical solutions makes what you seek.  They also have a great abdominal dangler.  I have both and the quality is top notch.  No probs so far.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another IFAK that's a little newer is Live The Creed's Responder IFAK. Seems to be a decent size, yet compact enough to be out of the way. It also has more retention if that is a concern, spilling medical everywhere doesnt make for a good time. Lol

https://ltcreed.com/collections/frontpage/products/responder-ifak?variant=30701074808898
View Quote

I'm currently using this downrange
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use an HSGI bleeder on my armor thats pretty small but fits a full bleeder kit minus TQ (4" Olaes, combat gauze, z-fold gauze, 14ga needle, folded chest seal, nose hose and gloves).  I keep a TQ next to it in a separate pouch.

The Esstac med pouch is pretty low profile too.

I have a ETS trauma pouch on a pack of mine and while nice, I definitely would never call it low profile, especially for a belt.
View Quote

I actually had the exact opposite thoughts about the Esstac IFAK. It's the ONLY thing from them I've managed to have any level of disappointment in actually. The footprint isn't nearly wide enough for how thick/deep the pouch becomes when full. Leads to it flopping back and forth even with the Fastex buckle snugged way tighter than it should need to be.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
So i decided on an osoe compact tear off med pouch. Seems to be very good quality and just the right size for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not to hijack OP, but those with the BFG Micro Trauma kit, does the 4” flat Olaes fit in there with a Hyfin and QC?
View Quote

Yes. That’s almost exactly what is in mine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#26]
To save space, I've taken to wrapping my medical tape around an old hotel key card. That will hold a couple of feet of tape in a very flat package.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just bought one for that purpose. No telling how long it’ll take to get here, but can’t wait to get my hands on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got the LTC Reaponder IFAK pouch today and mounted it on my belt with Velcro one-wrap.

First impressions:

It’s a nice pouch. Laser cut construction throughout, and stitching/workmanship seems very solid.

The attachment points are further out toward the edges of the carrier sleeve than on the BFG Micro IFAK, and I like this. The pouch tends to stay put and doesn’t wallow around or snag as easily as my BFG does.

The inner pouch is big enough for two Hyfin seals, one Israeli bandage, two packs of z fold and a couple of needle Ds, but if you stuff it too full, it’s no longer very low profile. The TQ holder on the bottom of the pouch is a ln elastic sleeve about 3.5” long with a laser cut shield over it. The CAT-T fits snug and tucks away well.

The fastex buckle on the inner sleeve has a strap that can be snugged down to flatten the pouch out after loading, and popping the buckle allows you to pull the inner pouch out from either side.

Tomorrow I will be wearing this rig at work, so I’ll be able to give a better impression of how it does during daily use.

So far, I like it a lot. It’s pretty simple, holds a good bit of stuff and seems well made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife and I are running these:

https://us.directactiongear.com/med-pouch-horizontal-mk-iir#CBR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top