Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2020 11:06:08 AM EDT
For anyone looking for mini 14 mag followers, they're back in stock at Brownells ($6).
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For anyone looking for mini 14 mag followers, they're back in stock at Brownells ($6).
View Quote
Why are Mini-14 mag followers needed?  What am I missing?

Brownell's apparently is out of stock, anyway.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OE's followers are not exact copies of the current Ruger design.  In an abundance of caution, I ordered current version Ruger followers to put in my 5ea OE Brand straight 20rd mags when I ordered the mags to give them the highest chance of being trouble free.  I installed the Ruger followers in the OE mags when I received them.  As I haven't tried my OE's with their followers, I don't have a comparison but with the Ruger followers they have been trouble free.  Others have reported that their OE brand work fine with the OE followers so there's that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OE's followers are not exact copies of the current Ruger design.  In an abundance of caution, I ordered current version Ruger followers to put in my 5ea OE Brand straight 20rd mags when I ordered the mags to give them the highest chance of being trouble free.  I installed the Ruger followers in the OE mags when I received them.  As I haven't tried my OE's with their followers, I don't have a comparison but with the Ruger followers they have been trouble free.  Others have reported that their OE brand work fine with the OE followers so there's that.
View Quote

So, apparently the claim is that these new-type followers are more prone to being trouble-free?  I might look into this, as I have quite a few non-Ruger Mini-14 mags (both 20- and 30-rd) with their own, non-Ruger followers.   I've just function tested them once, and put them into storage.

Back in the bad old days, one had to go through a few non-Ruger Mini mags to find ones that were GTG.  This was before OEM Ruger mags were generally available, and even when I got some Ruger 30-rd mags, I had to replace their springs.  Fortunately, easily available and GTG 30-rd mag springs did the trick

All the above said, are there any new-design followers that I should buy?  Which ones, specifically?

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I'm not saying that they are claiming to be more trouble free.  I'm saying that I had the opportunity to buy 5 for the 5 OE mags I got at a really cheap price and so I got them just in case, that's all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, I'm not saying that they are claiming to be more trouble free.  I'm saying that I had the opportunity to buy 5 for the 5 OE mags I got at a really cheap price and so I got them just in case, that's all.
View Quote

What price, and where?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from MidwayUSA $5 ea.
Brownells was $6 each.
They go out of stock pretty fast so if both sites show OOS it may be months before they come back.
Numrich Gun Parts also has them from time to time.
Like Steve I upgraded the tilt followers in my Original Equipment mags with the latest Ruger follower. Those with the old style Ruger followers may be looking for some as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What price, and where?
View Quote
Did you look at my original post?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you look at my original post?
View Quote

Yes.  Ordered 27 from Midway.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Just sent back 24--Keeping 3.  These are not like my OEM Ruger 30-rd followers, and show no significant differences compared to the OEM followers.  In addition, the hole drilled in the "leg" hole for the upper end of the spring caused the spring to rub against the mag body in all the non-Ruger mags in which I tried them.

So, I spent the day dis-assembling all my mags, gently filing off some sharp edges on the  followere that might have caused some drag, re-oiling springs, and re-assembling. Time well-spent.

I discovered that I had 7 Thermold 30-rd mags whose followers needed a little gentle tweaking, and whose springs I had neglected to oil.  Over the many years, they were just beginning to show the first signs of rust.  They are now tweaked and oiled.  All is well.

ETA:  The vendor approved my return in good time.  All is well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
See here for my experiences, which might be of considerable value to YOU.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Magazines-Follower-and-Spring-Maintenance/2-511755/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top