Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 8:00:59 AM EDT
Anyone have issues with leavening 20rd mags loaded for extended periods of time.

Any Feed lip issues?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:52:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#1]
As little use as either of my Mini’s get used I would not be at all surprised if I’ve had mags loaded for decades. Ruger factory mags are about as beefy as they come and I’ve never had one fail. Someof those mags are probably pushing 40 years old.i HAVE had a spring go bad in an aftermarket 40 round stainless mag. It was crap to begin with and I tossed it.

All my Ruger mags are stored fully loaded and I have no worries about the feed lips or springs having issues even if I don’t touch them for a decade
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:02:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
As little use as either of my Mini’s get used I would not be at all surprised if I’ve had mags loaded for decades. Ruger factory mags are about as beefy as they come and I’ve never had one fail. Someof those mags are probably pushing 40 years old.i HAVE had a spring go bad in an aftermarket 40 round stainless mag. It was crap to begin with and I tossed it.

All my Ruger mags are stored fully loaded and I have no worries about the feed lips or springs having issues even if I don’t touch them for a decade
View Quote

That’s what I was thinking but thought I’d ask.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:17:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
Mag springs fail from: 1) Long-term, repeated cycling, 2) Corrosion and/or physical wear caused by repeated cycling, and/or 3) Because the spring was poorly made in the first place.

As a precaution against corrosion, most mag springs should have a thin film of oil put on them.  In extremely dry and dusty climates, skip the film of oil.

Magazines on rifles such as the AR, whose mags tend to become dirty, should be periodically cleaned.  Mini mags can go much longer between cleanings.

A well-made mag spring can last for decades even if fully compressed.

Feed lips are another story, as their longevity is dependent on the material out of which they are made.  IMHO (and not wanting to start an argument), one of the functions of the "dust cover" sold with P-Mags is to prevent the plastic feed lips from gradually deforming when the mag is stored fully loaded, although Magpul disagrees (kinda).  With plastic mags, extreme heat can hasten such feed lip deformation. There are some plastic mags which include metal reinforcements for the feed lips.  This is NOT a slam on Gen M3 P-mags, which are excellent mags overall.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By raf:
Mag springs fail from: 1) Long-term, repeated cycling, 2) Corrosion and/or physical wear caused by repeated cycling, and/or 3) Because the spring was poorly made in the first place.

As a precaution against corrosion, most mag springs should have a thin film of oil put on them.  In extremely dry and dusty climates, skip the film of oil.

Magazines on rifles such as the AR, whose mags tend to become dirty, should be periodically cleaned.  Mini mags can go much longer between cleanings.

A well-made mag spring can last for decades even if fully compressed.

Feed lips are another story, as their longevity is dependent on the material out of which they are made.  IMHO (and not wanting to start an argument), one of the functions of the "dust cover" sold with P-Mags is to prevent the plastic feed lips from gradually deforming when the mag is stored fully loaded, although Magpul disagrees (kinda).  With plastic mags, extreme heat can hasten such feed lip deformation. There are some plastic mags which include metal reinforcements for the feed lips.
View Quote

I had some Amend2 mags stored for maybe 2-3 years at most and the feed lips bent outward and bodies swelled. I agree 100% with your statement. None of my PMAGs have failed but they aren’t nearly as old as most of my steel mags. I also have G3, M14, and FAL mags that have been loaded for many years and are GTG
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I store all my Mini mags loaded, no issues.
As mentioned above, springs get weak from cycling, not from being stored compressed.
Even my only Tapco 30 stays loaded, no issues.

Any good quality magazine should be able to be stored indefinitely fully loaded.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone using the cogburn mag release?

Link
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Where can we get replacement 20round mag springs ?

the (Wolff) 20 round Ar15 mag springs hook into the follower in a different spot
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Anyone using the cogburn mag release?

Link
View Quote
I have one.  Works as advertised; zero complaints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top