Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2018 5:10:23 PM EDT
Have wanted a MP-5 since 1980 SAS Iranian Embassy Raid.  Finally, after some time, and recently really depressing personal situation, I saw the PTR 9CT in a local shop and said "Screw it, this one is coming home with me!".  Looks and feels great.  Immediately ordered some POF mags from RTG Parts and and new forearm (have big hands).  Also got one ETS mag and Universal Loader.  Got to shoot it today for the first time.

Attachment Attached File

Left group is first mag from 15 yards. The right group was fired off hand at 25 yards.

The good news:
 Amazingly accurate, smoothest recoil ever. The ETS Universal Loader actually works fantastic and allowed me to load up mags very quickly.  Fired about 350-400 rounds of various 9mm types.
The bad news:
 Jams. Lots of jams.  All types including a propensity to shove a fired casing down to the 4 o'clock position.  Almost every mag had two or more problems.  I was using several brands of ammo, mostly 115 gr.  WWB was absolute junk.  S&B 115gr was pretty good. Norinco 124gr was so-so. Wolf 115gr  was about the same as S&B. I only fired 10 rds of 147gr and 10 rds of 158gr with my suppressor, which function fine.  I expected some break-in jams, but nothing like this.  Extractor tension was great.  I am hoping I just need to get some better ammo.  Have about 250 rds of Winchester Ranger 124+ that I will run through it next time.
I had higher hopes.  My SBR CZ Scorpion eats everything without question, as does my UZI. I really like this firearm, but I can not trust it ...yet.  Will keep working on it as I admit to only having a "working knowledge" of HK stlye weapons, but willing to learn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps it's magazine related? I just picked up a new PTR 9C the other day that I received from Atlantic. I see that you also bought a sling eyelet to replace your handguard pin. It was very thoughtful that PTR ommited the front sling attachment point, but yet included it on the magazine well

I too have some POF magazines. The problem that I have with them is that they don't always seat properly, and will fall out unless I slap 'em in good on the floorplate. The two magazines that came with it appeared used, as the top of the feedlips looked grounded upon.
I have zero issues, none whatsoever with HK German made magazines.

Also, I bought a clipped & pinned lower that does not fit, due to the extra welding above the shelf. One of these days I'll get around to making it fit.

Overall, it's a nice firearm with a prefect finish, and flawless welds. The sights are straight, and even though I think it's ridiculous that PTR couldn't have installed the sling eyelet, I don't by any means regret my purchase. I did buy an HK F type sling weldment that I may eventually have welded on. I will say that I do not care for the handguard. I ordered the slightly longer Midwest Industries one with the QD socket on both sides, so I will be able to use a sling.

I know they'll be introducing a K model, but if PTR omits the eyelet on those, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Order some factory German mags before you decide it’s unreliable.  The mp5 does not do well with weak ammunition. Also, “jams” is not an appropriate descriptive. Did you have FTF, FTE, etc? FTF/double feed in the mp5 typically results in the extractor spring going tits up. I recommend replacing.

So:
1. Shoot good full pressure ammunition. Fiocchi 115gr 9mm works perfectly in my MP5s, which are all German.

2. Replace your extractor spring given the failures. Buy a new factory HK 9mm spring.

3. Buy some German mags.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The missing eyelet had me scratching my head too.  However, when ordering the new hand guard, I saw the pin with the eyelet attached, and figured it would do the job as I don't use a sling very much.  I hate the nut busting single point slings and happen to have an original MP5 2 point sling in the junkbox.  I have found it a bit irritating that PTR has included a great case which I can't use, a front hand guard I can not use, a sling I can not use, and an end cap I won't use.  I plan on getting a couple HK straight mags when I can find some.
 BTW, I find the LaRue Tactical case to be perfect for my storage needs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Are your jams happening with the POF mags? The supplied mags didn’t work in any of my MP5’s and the ETS mags have been trash. I have found the factory HK mags and POF are the only mags that run reliably in all of my guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps it's magazine related? I just picked up a new PTR 9C the other day that I received from Atlantic. I see that you also bought a sling eyelet to replace your handguard pin. It was very thoughtful that PTR ommited the front sling attachment point, but yet included it on the magazine well

I too have some POF magazines. The problem that I have with them is that they don't always seat properly, and will fall out unless I slap 'em in good on the floorplate. The two magazines that came with it appeared used, as the top of the feedlips looked grounded upon.
I have zero issues, none whatsoever with HK German made magazines.

Also, I bought a clipped & pinned lower that does not fit, due to the extra welding above the shelf. One of these days I'll get around to making it fit.

Overall, it's a nice firearm with a prefect finish, and flawless welds. The sights are straight, and even though I think it's ridiculous that PTR couldn't have installed the sling eyelet, I don't by any means regret my purchase. I did buy an HK F type sling weldment that I may eventually have welded on. I will say that I do not care for the handguard. I ordered the slightly longer Midwest Industries one with the QD socket on both sides, so I will be able to use a sling.

I know they'll be introducing a K model, but if PTR omits the eyelet on those, I'll pass.
View Quote
are you inserting mags on a closed bolt?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

are you inserting mags on a closed bolt?
View Quote
Yes. On a closed bolt, only the German mags lock in first time, every time. The POF about 50%. No issue with the POF or the two supplied magazines with the bolt open.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The missing eyelet had me scratching my head too.  However, when ordering the new hand guard, I saw the pin with the eyelet attached, and figured it would do the job as I don't use a sling very much.  I hate the nut busting single point slings and happen to have an original MP5 2 point sling in the junkbox.  I have found it a bit irritating that PTR has included a great case which I can't use, a front hand guard I can not use, a sling I can not use, and an end cap I won't use.  I plan on getting a couple HK straight mags when I can find some.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51777/IMG_4890-644318.JPG
View Quote
lol, my thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes. On a closed bolt, only the German mags lock in first time, every time. The POF about 50%. No issue with the POF or the two supplied magazines with the bolt open.
View Quote
You shouldn’t be loading a topped off mag on a closed bolt, the POF mags more then likely are newer then your HK mags and have stronger springs too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You shouldn’t be loading a topped off mag on a closed bolt, the POF mags more then likely are newer then your HK mags which and have stronger springs too.
View Quote
This. MP5 should have bolt locked to the rear when inserting a loaded mag.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
These guns were built around NATO spec 9mm, not el cheapo plinking stuff. Shoot +P for more reliable operation in the future.

Don't load full mags on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn’t be loading a topped off mag on a closed bolt, the POF mags more then likely are newer then your HK mags which and have stronger springs too.
I should have specified that this was occurring on unloaded magazines. The POF mags will lock in about 50% of the time unless I slap 'em in good. Otherwise, they'll fall to the floor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
My PTR case is getting repurposed into a pistol case as soon as I get a foam cutter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The new mags that came with my 9C gave a little trouble at first until I tweeked them.250 rds later no problems at all.
No problems at all with the POFs or HKs . Gun is ultra reliable now after about 1k rds, suppressed and unsupressed. Super accurate. A pleasure to shoot.

Edit... Added a new HK sling eyelet from RTG along with a wide forearm. Tried a narrow forearm but it's just a wee bit small for my liking.  I have several sets of HK wood from years ago and may make a set to fit.
This one will get a form 1 for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one, and it didn't run at all with any of the ammo I tried. I limped through about 80 rounds before I had an out of battery detonation, violently ejecting the magazine. It felt like the thing exploded in my hands. After that, I had no confidence in it and returned it, as I wasn't interested in an exchange. Atlantic Firearms took care of me, though. Top notch customer service. But man, I was disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought one, and it didn't run at all with any of the ammo I tried. I limped through about 80 rounds before I had an out of battery detonation, violently ejecting the magazine. It felt like the thing exploded in my hands. After that, I had no confidence in it and returned it, as I wasn't interested in an exchange. Atlantic Firearms took care of me, though. Top notch customer service. But man, I was disappointed.
View Quote
That is discerning to hear.  Most of the reviews have been positive.  Glad Atlantic took care of you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
is there an a way to restore the sling eyelet on the FSB w/o much ado?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kind of. Ugh, I don't know why PTR didn't include it. First off, I ordered the newer HK style ambi sling weldment, but I couldn't find any good photos of the welding, let alone someone to do it. So then I bought the standard MP5 eyelet. Just so everyone knows, PTR doesn't weld in the cross pin, nor is it staked into place. With two taps of a punch, the cross pin came out. I shortened the end of the eyelet some, so it would be recessed in a bit, and a local smith who has done many pin/weld jobs is going to weld over it. So essentially, it'll look like the other PTR models that have the eyelet welded. Cold blue would work ok, but I'm going to get this one done in Cerakote. I just picked up my GI Classic this morning from the finishers and it looks great!

Hopefully in the future PTR won't omit the eyelet, and I hope their K version comes so equipped.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I had several jams with 3 out of the 6 POF mags with my Z5-P. I had no problems with the factory MKE and HK mags. Might be magazine related.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ended up DXing the factory forend in favor of a MI m-lok forend, then DXed that in favor of a regular wide plastic one, and used this to secure it. I like the wide forend much better.

Mine had about 4 misfeeds when I first took it to the range, but quickly smoothed out, and now runs 100%.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#21]
These weapons have a break-in period lasting a couple hundred rounds if you want to use cheap range ammo. Use 124 or 147 grain ammo instead and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick update:
I went to the range this morning and tried again with better ammo.  Used Ranger 124+ and Fiocchi 115 grain and had much better results.  Down to one double feed per mag on average.  Two mags showed signs of the bolt hitting the feedlips.  Need to tweak them a bit as Tex762 suggested. Have couple factory HK mags on the way.   Really liking this PTR more and more every shot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick update:
I went to the range this morning and tried again with better ammo.  Used Ranger 124+ and Fiocchi 115 grain and had much better results.  Down to one double feed per mag on average.  Two mags showed signs of the bolt hitting the feedlips.  Need to tweak them a bit as Tex762 suggested. Have couple factory HK mags on the way.   Really liking this PTR more and more every shot.
View Quote
Glad it’s improving and you’re pleased, the HK factory magazines are a good move. That being said, I’d have a major problem with a $1700 gun that averaged 1 double feed per magazine, it’s a steep price to pay for something to be relegated to “range toy”. But, as mentioned previously by others, some of these guns smooth out after a break in period, I think poster maynardjay’s experience is an anomaly.
Update again after the HK magazines have been implemented, if it persists then change the extractor spring (if you haven’t already). I run 115 gr Fiocchi in my HKs with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't get why you'd take the plunge.   You have platforms (the cz) desgined in house from the ground up with their own mags and good records...  And you chose to get perhaps THE most finicky system that we KNOW takes decades of expertise and straight up voodoo to work right.  And that's just with fmj!

Looks cool.  But what a shitty system.

You wouldn't go to the moon in a Hyundai.  And you shouldn't buy roller locked guns made outside of Ze Fazherlund.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]
First of all. I like all types of firearms, in particular SMG clones. I have several Uzi's, AR-9's, Scorpions, Sterlings, and other variants, both 16" and SBR's.  Also have multiple AR's. AK's, FAL's, Galil's, etc.  Since I am neither autistic nor OCD, I can enjoy variety and the fun of shooting without having to justify what I spend my disposable income on and why.  I don't pretend to be an operator nor a survivalist.  I also learned 40 years ago to not take seriously other people's opinions about what I need.

Second, the iconic MP-5 was one of the biggest gaps in my collection and as stated wanted one since the '80's.  I saw the PTR 9CT at the NRA convention last March an was impressed. I read many positive reviews, including ones on this forum.  A good friend (also a great gunsmith) purchased one and had only positive things to say.  The opportunity to purchase one presented itself, and I took it.  I did not expect the feeding problems.  I have tens of thousands of 115 FMJ 9mm ammo of various manufacture.  My experience with HK firearms are limited to HK91 and 93 rifles, which have had no problems.  The 9CT manual states there will be problems during the break in period.  I did not expect so many. I was not aware that there was differences in HK magazines.  That's why I asked for technical info help from this forum.  Yes,I checked the extractor, and it seems tight.  I stripped the bolt, cleaned, and reassembled.  I fired about 300 rounds.  Of six mags, two functioned fine, four had the double feed once a mag (fired case stuck to the side, live round in chamber) using Win Ranger 124+ and Fiocci 115gr ammo.  I also fired Speer 147gr with a Gemtech GM45 suppressor (no problems with suppressor, double fed once without).

Third, I had my SBR's Scorpion there to shoot also.  The MP-5 is CONSIDERABLY smoother to shoot than the CZ.  Accuracy was about the same.  The real advantage of the CZ was it was a garbage eater that gobbles up WWB, Tula, and Wolf without hesitation.  I still like both, but I also realize there are differences.  I will continue to work on the PTR because it is rapidly becoming a favorite.  Will plan on getting it SBR'ed soon.
 I appreciate the information on helping with my technical problems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Will PTR take it back to tweak on the magwell?

From my tiny experience with a recent MKE Z-5P and an older AT-94P, they can now shoot any and all hollowpoints without failures.  The Z-5P went back to Zenith for adjustments.  With HK mags its 100%.  The AT-94P has been 99.9% in 500 rounds.  I tried 1 MKE mag that gave me problems in the past and had 1 FTE.  Just came back from a quick session shooting Winchester Ranger RA9T, RA9B, and Win Train.  All 100% with old HK LEO mags.

Buy or borrow known good German magazines, this will remove bad mags from the equation.  If you still have issues, send it back and hopefully PTR can tweak it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm waiting for PTR to release the 9CT "GI" version with no scope rail, plastic fore end, and a cardboard box. Charge me the same as the current package but throw in some magazines.  The PTR foreends are God awful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quick update:
View Quote
I had a pof clone that the bolt ran into the mag feedlips... never did get it working right.  That gun had mor than a few issues, after 6or 7 hundred rounds i got tired of dicki g with it and i sent it back and got credit for somethin g else.  Realize that every time it double feeds theres a good chance it will ruin the extractor spring and then you have another problem that makes the first problem more likely
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]
My MP5s literally eat anything they are fed

If the mag is sitting too high simply adjust the mag catch or catch hole

Also surprised no ones mentioned checking the bolt gap for as easy as it is to check too
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I shot mine today, brought a bunch of Winchester "train and defend" stuff that I'd bought, 5 rounds at a time, jams. Figured the ammo was light, so shot some Speer 147gr that all functioned perfectly fine without a hiccup. Shot some 147 gr hp's, no problems. Went back to the Winchester and they worked a lot better, only 1-2 jams out of 50. I think it'll be fine after break in, but I didn't have more of the fuller ammo with me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My MP5s literally eat anything they are fed

If the mag is sitting too high simply adjust the mag catch or catch hole

Also surprised no ones mentioned checking the bolt gap for as easy as it is to check too
View Quote
I think in the example I had the bolt to bolt carrier fit was excessively sloppy, I know it should wiggle a little.  I would have had to shave off a full millimeter from the bolt catch.  But I don't know I'm glad its not my problem anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think in the example I had the bolt to bolt carrier fit was excessively sloppy, I know it should wiggle a little.  I would have had to shave off a full millimeter from the bolt catch.  But I don't know I'm glad its not my problem anymore.
View Quote
Eh

They all have a bit of play, atleast the ones Ive seen. Especially with the pistol caliber stuff. The rifle stuff has a locking lever that applies tension to keep everything tight. The MP5s just have a little pin type deal that holds the locking piece square.

I know my German kits bolt was kinda loosey goosey IMHO. Runs just fine though

It sounds like to me from what Ive read that the mag height is simply too high

Im not sure where PTR gets their flats, but the LSC flats you have to manually open up the mag catch and you can put it too high or too low if youre not careful. With it being too high you could simply remove a little material on the bottom side of the mag catch hole and it should lower the magazine a little tiny bit
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I took my new PTR 9c out yesterday, with 10 loaded KCI mags, filled with 115 gr WWB.  I think 5 stoppages of the type describes, FTE and trying to feed a new round.  Not a true double feed.

One thing I noticed was that most of the brass flew away on a very consistent path.  But I'd see the occasional empty eject and only go about a third as far, and every once in a while one would just dribble out and barely clear.  What it makes me think of, more than anything, is the inconsistency of cheap ammo.

Next time I head out, I'm going to take my chrony and see if there's a correlation between velocity and brass ejection.  I strongly suspect I will find one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since the factory pin is just a press fit, couldn't you just remove it, press in the HK eyelet pin and stake/swage/center punch the opposite side of the pin?  As long as the eyelet fits tight in the hole it would take one heck of a force to pull it back through once the opposite side is expanded.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Since the factory pin is just a press fit, couldn't you just remove it, press in the HK eyelet pin and stake/swage/center punch the opposite side of the pin?  As long as the eyelet fits tight in the hole it would take one heck of a force to pull it back through once the opposite side is expanded.
View Quote
Yeah, it's press fit. I removed mine without much effort. The new eyelet doesn't fit snug though. The barrel pin they use is the same length and diameter of a standard G3 cocking lever pin. I was going to have mine welded in, but I just replaced the pin and bought an MI rail. At this point, I'll just use the QD swivel for now. I may revisit this in the future, and have a G3 eyelet shortened, and turned down. I like the PTR 9C that I purchased, and the build quality is outstanding. One thing I noticed is that with the factory bolt assembly, my bolt gap was right at .020. My new, complete HK Action 3 BCG measures at .025, so I ordered -6 rollers for that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with mine, and I would love to see PTR introduce a model that mirrors the classic MP5. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

As far as ammo. Years ago with my HK94 and SP89 (And IMI UZI's), they much preferred hotter rounds. I've had issues with the weaker stuff, and have avoided buying the stuff. That, and sticking with factory magazines, I haven't had any problems. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
If you are having function problems with your full size during break in, I would suggest running a #16 locking piece with weaker ammo.  Just watch for signs of over function.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#37]
get a mad bolt  from atlantic

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/m-a-d-bolt-head
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
get a mad bolt  from atlantic

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/m-a-d-bolt-head
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Last thing you probably want to hear, but my PTR runs flawlessly with supplied mags...  Over 300 rounds fired.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Last thing you probably want to hear, but my PTR runs flawlessly with supplied mags...  Over 300 rounds fired.
View Quote
Mine too.  
I'm somewhere around 1600rds, and the only issue I've had is a FTF on the second round through it.
The first 500 were 124gr NATO rounds.
I'm now shooting 147gr subs through it with no issues at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quick update. Would have posted sooner but as an OR nurse, I have been literally "operating" a lot the last few days.   Anyway went out this weekend to experiment.
 I got  a factory HK straight mag from Numrich.
Attachment Attached File

I tried several types of ammo.

Attachment Attached File

The straight mag was perfect with all but the weakest ammo.  The POF mags worked with the better ammo, with occasional problem.  Nothing worked well with cheap ammo.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Overall, the biggest culprit seems to be weak ammo.  I have ordered a set of HK straight mags from Numrich, just recieved 500 rds of S&B 124gr NATO for the next trip.  I appreciate all the info that has been offered.  It helped a lot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I have two POF mags along with the two factory mags and have had only a few issues using 125 grain or hotter ammo - four FTE and two misfeeds at the top of the mag from likely overloading the mags.

Total rounds downrange is around 600 so we are looking at a near perfect 99% reliability with 125 grain or heavier rounds.

115 Federal aluminum case won't cycle at all (I tried 4 rounds - I won't be ordering anymore of that stuff as it isn't as accurate in my other guns even when compared to Wolf or Tula steel case).

I tried ETS mags at the indoor range (they let me test fit a new one without purchase) and they won't fit without really jamming them in so I would use caution on the first generation of these.

Contrary to another test I saw, Federal American Eagle 147 grain works great in mine.  I bought a bunch of Speer G2S from Surplus Ammo when they discontinued it a few years ago (the poly tipped stuff that doesn't reliably expand) and it works well and with the 8.8" barrel, it probably expands reasonably well.

It is worth noting that I am running some of these loads really fast as I have the Franklin Binary trigger and all but one round was shot suppressed.  The Franklin actually slows down the cyclic rate unless you can time your pull perfectly - the AR triggers are much faster but also run the risk of bolt follow through which doesn't happen on the HK trigger.

To anyone who is on the West Coast that can still have PTR's, Miwall 125 grain reloads from the local gunshows (the huge ammo vendor from Grass Valley, CA) run like a top in my PTR for $150/1000!

I put 30 rounds on semi into an inch and a half ragged hole at 7 yards - the PTR 9CT is very accurate and extremely fun to shoot!

If anyone is curious, the chamber is definitely fluted on the PTR 9CT - I didn't read that in the reviews or specs in my initial research!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
just recieved 500 rds of S&B 124gr NATO for the next trip.
View Quote
After reading this thread, 124gr NATO was going to be my suggestion- as that is the load the MP5 platform was designed around. 115gr works, but brands like Winchester white box are not worth the gamble in my opinion. Early on, I'd buy the cheap stuff, and spent much of my time at the range like you, having issues. Switched to different brands with factory mags, and no issues.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quick update. Would have posted sooner but as an OR nurse, I have been literally "operating" a lot the last few days.   Anyway went out this weekend to experiment.
 I got  a factory HK straight mag from Numrich.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51777/IMG_4973-669683.JPG

I tried several types of ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51777/IMG_4962-669687.JPG

The straight mag was perfect with all but the weakest ammo.  The POF mags worked with the better ammo, with occasional problem.  Nothing worked well with cheap ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51777/IMG_4963-669694.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51777/IMG_4964-669698.JPG

Overall, the biggest culprit seems to be weak ammo.  I have ordered a set of HK straight mags from Numrich, just recieved 500 rds of S&B 124gr NATO for the next trip.  I appreciate all the info that has been offered.  It helped a lot.
View Quote
Whats the bolt gap?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Only ammo mine hasn’t liked so far is some 124 grain PMC, and that was before it was broken in, I’ll try it again on my next range trip to see if it’s still an issue. Mine has run everything else just fine, including Wolf, the aluminum American Eagle, Fiocchi 115, and that’s running the Franklin binary as well. I’ve run the included mags and som POF mags, no problem with those. I did get an ETS which I had problems with but I think may be fine now, initially figment in the magwell was an issue, but the polymer will eventually “conform” better if you give it a good workout.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I had no issues with mine this weekend.  I ran 125 grain factory reloads unsuppressed for about 210 rounds and then ran an additional 50 rounds of Wolf 115 grain black box 9mm and no hiccups.  Total round count is up to 850 or so.

The PTR 9CT is my favorite firearm I own!  Great suppressed and for just putting lots of rounds on targets in a sleek controllable package!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone with the SB Tactical Brace, did you guys have to grind on the brace a lot to get it to fit? I needed to remove a decent amount of material from the inside top of the brace for it to fit on my PTR9CT and it's still super tight on there now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Everyone with the SB Tactical Brace, did you guys have to grind on the brace a lot to get it to fit? I needed to remove a decent amount of material from the inside top of the brace for it to fit on my PTR9CT and it's still super tight on there now.
View Quote
Yes, it only took about 2 minutes with a Dremel sanding drum on low speed with a follow up with the polishing bit.  Disappointing but it is what it is.  I'd say the receiver is on the large end of the spec since my HK factory polymer pistol end cap is super tight as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn't dremel mine, but it fits really tight and requires a rubber mallet for taking it off.  I keep it greased when cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Did not need to dremel but very tight - had to lube it up and smack the "butt" on my work bench.

Where do you smack it with a rubber mallet to remove the brace.
I closed the brace and hit the "butt" in the edge of my work bench, but
I do not want to do that every time I have to clean the weapon - I have
to hit it so hard that I believe the plastic in the  brace will eventually crack/break.

Also I did have the smooth (dremel and file) the weld at the bottom of the forward side
of the magwell - it was very sharp and uncomfortable to grip - blued it after smoothing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top