Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been pondering which annealer to get for quite some time.  Definitely leaning towards the MRB due to easy and simple caliber changes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Great updated review, OP.

What's the purpose of the random screw/nut in one of the holes on the gate?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tzzler44:
Great updated review, OP.

What's the purpose of the random screw/nut in one of the holes on the gate?
View Quote
Directions said he put that there for 300 BO cases. They wanted to fall mouth first, the screw helps them fall flat. It isn't needed for other cases apparently, doesn't hurt anything so I  left it in place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You cost me some money, pop.

Picked it up this week. Runs very nice.

Couple points:
1. Was hoping I could fill hopper. The cases tend to get pushed up on right side so if you fill her, it spills out.

2. Cases were dragging on the black sloped piece and sometimes didnt land flat. I greased up the slope a bit and they slide fine now.

3. Some cases were not spinningthe entire time. I believe there is friction on the base near back. Wonder if it is the spent primer catching on something. I really dont want to have to deprime first cause it adds unnecessary step. That is one reason I am not in love with bench source. Cases must stand flat. Spent primer can cause issues.

Overall quite happy. Thanks for posting your review.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
Originally Posted By djryan13:
You cost me some money, pop.

Picked it up this week. Runs very nice.

Couple points:
1. Was hoping I could fill hopper. The cases tend to get pushed up on right side so if you fill her, it spills out.
Yes, I memtioned this, a little shield would take care if it. Seems like .308 cases don't do it.
2. Cases were dragging on the black sloped piece and sometimes didnt land flat. I greased up the slope a bit and they slide fine now. Didn't have that issue. I do leave it in for all cases. Maybe the delrin is rough or has a burr.

3. Some cases were not spinningthe entire time. I believe there is friction on the base near back. Wonder if it is the spent primer catching on something. I really dont want to have to deprime first cause it adds unnecessary step. That is one reason I am not in love with bench source. Cases must stand flat. Spent primer can cause issues.
I had this happen when setting up on .223 with junk cases that had torn rims. My cases are all decaped and wet tumbled, i have not had this with my good clean cases. I wouldn't think a primer would  matter but rough rims or beat up out of round cases may get caught by the gate.
Overall quite happy. Thanks for posting your review.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#7]
Dumb question for you all...

Out of the few videos posted in this thread, I noticed everbody's brass is just dropping into a dry pan.  The brass just piles up.

I thought hot brass like that was dropped into a pan of water to keep the heat from creeping down the shoulders and the case body.  The water quench keeps the brass from softening too far down on the case.

Or was that just the very old skool way of annealing brass with the cases standing up in a pan of water, with tempilac on the case neck/case mouth?

EDIT:  how many more reloadings/firings do you think you guys extend the brass life by annealing the brass?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#8]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
Dumb question for you all...

Out of the few videos posted in this thread, I noticed everbody's brass is just dropping into a dry pan.  The brass just piles up.

I thought hot brass like that was dropped into a pan of water to keep the heat from creeping down the shoulders and the case body.  The water quench keeps the brass from softening too far down on the case.

Or was that just the very old skool way of annealing brass with the cases standing up in a pan of water, with tempilac on the case neck/case mouth?

EDIT:  how many more reloadings/firings do you think you guys extend the brass life by annealing the brass?
View Quote
The instant the heat is removed the case starts cooling, it won't creep down the body.

The brass life is extended in that you won't see split necks from work hardening. I now( since annealing) lose cases from case head separation starting a bit around 12x firing, never have split necks. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to have to get one of these. Now that I have 600 Lapua 260 rem cases it will be worth it, as well as converting LC cases to 300 blk.

The drill method is very time consuming if your doing more than 200 cases at a time. I dread it whenever it's time to anneal cases at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dano523:
Only down side I really see to the annealer, is they they are running on propane with a large flame, and that is a lot of wasted propane instead.

So something like a DIY micro torch may be a better way to go for a heat source instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVHYhX5xZ0
View Quote
One could turn the flame way down to a point. When I setup though I want the whole neck and part of the shoulder to be covered entirely with the blue flame. A tiny little flame will only heat a small band of the neck.

I turn the tank wide open and the torch wide open so it is the same everytime.

....and I really couldn't care less about the little bit of propane being wasted, to care about something so inconsiquential would mean I chose the wrong hobby.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miser201] [#13]
Was wondering if you had a chance to compare it to Annealeez machine?  About to place a order for the MRB, but kind of second guessing since it looks like the price is $439 (Plus buying a torch and hose) compared to $325 of the Annealeez (w/ set of Blk Out Wheels).

@popnfresh
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#16]
Originally Posted By Miser201:
Was wondering if you had a chance to compare it to Annealeez machine?  About to place a order for the MRB, but kind of second guessing since it looks like the price is $439 (Plus buying a torch and hose) compared to $325 of the Annealeez (w/ set of Blk Out Wheels).

@popnfresh
View Quote
Annealeez would be fine too. I went the MRB route because they were ready to ship and I had a bunch of brass that needed annealing and loading in time for a shooting trip. Annealeez showed a 3 week ship time if I recall.
@Miser201
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
People who have this annealer , hows it holding up ?

I’m thinking of buying one .
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bm3:
People who have this annealer , hows it holding up ?

I'm thinking of buying one .
View Quote
No change, no signs of wear though they are pretty simple so there isn't much to go wrong from normal use.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
No change, no signs of wear though they are pretty simple so there isn't much to go wrong from normal use.
View Quote
Ok, ordered.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The instant the heat is removed the case starts cooling, it won't creep down the body.

The brass life is extended in that you won't see split necks from work hardening. I now( since annealing) lose cases from case head separation starting a bit around 12x firing, never have split necks. 
View Quote
Also, if not more important would be more consistent neck tension...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Also, if not more important would be more consistent neck tension...
View Quote
Most certainly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
popn or others with the MRB, looking at MRB's site, I notice he says the machine doesn't include the torch.  I notice his pic shows the flame/gas control unit, and I guess that's what I normally call the "torch".

I realize this may just be a semantics thing, but is he stating his machine doesn't come with that flame/gas control unit, or is he referring to "torch" as the whole gas bottle, hose, and flame/gas control head?

I'm guessing if it doesn't come with the brass flame/gas control unit, that the applicable unit is of the fairly generic style available with most hand held torches.

I'd guess using a whole refillable propane bottle with a conventional regulator would provide more consistent gas pressure and therefore temps?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Mike's Reloading Bench Annealer - $440 (OUCH!)

Link to Mike's Reloading Bench Annealer
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARTNC10] [#24]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Mike's Reloading Bench Annealer - $440 (OUCH!)

Link to Mike's Reloading Bench Annealer
View Quote
Yeah, but it looks really effective and relatively easy to setup.  From looking at the other "flame" types out there, it seems less fiddly.

The price is tough, and that's why I was asking about the "torch" in my question.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#25]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:  Yeah, but it looks really effective and relatively easy to setup.  From looking at the other "flame" types out there, it seems less fiddly.  The price is tough, and that's why I was asking about the "torch" in my question.
View Quote
If you can afford the $440 for the annealer, should you really worry about the $4 for the torch?  Propane is a bigger cost issue.

On that note, how long does the small bottle of propane last?  I have a hose that would allow me to use the large bottles of propane (5 gallon?).

The thing I struggle with is the lack of evidence that annealing extends case life in any significant way or that it improves accuracy,... or does anything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#26]

If you can afford the $440 for the annealer, should you really worry about the $4 for the torch?  Propane is a bigger cost issue.

On that note, how long does the small bottle of propane last?  I have a hose that would allow me to use the large bottles of propane (5 gallon?).

The thing I struggle with is the lack of evidence that annealing extends case life in any significant way or that it improves accuracy,... or does anything.
View Quote
And yet in a top bullet manufacturers description of how they make their brass, each piece is annealed 3 times during the forming process, then annealed a final time before being packaged and shipped for sale for use....Seems odd these manufacturers would waste both the time and the money if it wasn't needed.. that is a shit load of wasted profit if it is not needed...

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/our-process/drawing-brass
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Not really talking about a $4 torch as the issue...though I'm seeing more like $12-$14 for a common Bernzomatic unit.  I was more curious if that unit is not supplied, is it a common unit like the Bernzomatic or something proprietary and therefore more expensive.

As far as propane, I'd be using a refillable bottle, hose, and regulator.  I have plenty of bottles that get used for the grill and travel trailer and have a 250-gallon unit for the house out in the sticks.  I can even run a regulated line off the house supply.  Propane is in great supply in my area and decently affordable.  I don't deal with those grocery store or other 20-pound bottle exchange outlets.

Your take on the annealing assessment is interesting.  AKSR's comments tend to point out the logic based on the manufacturers' investment in the process.

Many precision shooter's who reload also tend to support it due to neck tension consistency if not also for case life.  If I were only loading 5.56/.223 for general shooting and hunting, I think I might not consider annealing.

I'm looking at annealing more for 300BO, a long range .243, 6.5CM, and .308...and I do have a long range .223 that I would use if for also.

I know that most of us as reloaders, and especially if we pursue long range accuracy, can be somewhat anal about the reloading process.  But if you can produce some decent evidence of annealing being a waste of time, I'd be glad to drop a step in the process.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#28]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:
popn or others with the MRB, looking at MRB's site, I notice he says the machine doesn't include the torch.  I notice his pic shows the flame/gas control unit, and I guess that's what I normally call the "torch".

I realize this may just be a semantics thing, but is he stating his machine doesn't come with that flame/gas control unit, or is he referring to "torch" as the whole gas bottle, hose, and flame/gas control head?

I'm guessing if it doesn't come with the brass flame/gas control unit, that the applicable unit is of the fairly generic style available with most hand held torches.

I'd guess using a whole refillable propane bottle with a conventional regulator would provide more consistent gas pressure and therefore temps?
View Quote
It did not come with the torch or hose just the mount.
I bought the torch head he recommended.
BernzOmatic UL2317

I have never used it with 1lb bottles. I get the 15lb(20) tanks, they last forever it seems and are $15 to exchange at Walmart.
I don't use a regulator, crank the torch wide open as well as the tank.

Pictures lost from Photobucket issues.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

And yet in a top bullet manufacturers description of how they make their brass, each piece is annealed 3 times during the forming process, then annealed a final time before being packaged and shipped for sale for use....Seems odd these manufacturers would waste both the time and the money if it wasn't needed.. that is a shit load of wasted profit if it is not needed...

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/our-process/drawing-brass
View Quote
Rather snide remark, no?

They have to do several deep, deep, deep drawing operations.  Material has strain limits due to work hardening.  What they do is VERY different than what a reloader does there's really no comparison.  Especially so if you use a bushing to limit cold working during resizing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#31]

Not really talking about a $4 torch as the issue...though I'm seeing more like $12-$14 for a common Bernzomatic unit.  I was more curious if that unit is not supplied, is it a common unit like the Bernzomatic or something proprietary and therefore more expensive.

As far as propane, I'd be using a refillable bottle, hose, and regulator.  I have plenty of bottles that get used for the grill and travel trailer and have a 250-gallon unit for the house out in the sticks.  I can even run a regulated line off the house supply.  Propane is in great supply in my area and decently affordable.  I don't deal with those grocery store or other 20-pound bottle exchange outlets.

Your take on the annealing assessment is interesting.  AKSR's comments tend to point out the logic based on the manufacturers' investment in the process.

Many precision shooter's who reload also tend to support it due to neck tension consistency if not also for case life.  If I were only loading 5.56/.223 for general shooting and hunting, I think I might not consider annealing.

I'm looking at annealing more for 300BO, a long range .243, 6.5CM, and .308...and I do have a long range .223 that I would use if for also.

I know that most of us as reloaders, and especially if we pursue long range accuracy, can be somewhat anal about the reloading process.  But if you can produce some decent evidence of annealing being a waste of time, I'd be glad to drop a step in the process.
View Quote
Let me respond to your questions this way.  I have seen and analyzed test results on case life with and without annealing.  Annealing did nothing significant to extend case life.  They did a control group (unannealed), and 2 or 3 different annealing rates including annealing after every firing.  None were very different than unannealed (it did something but it was a minor effect).  For example, it would not delay the need to buy replacement brass.  This report and the data analysis I did were posted here and could be re-posted.

Popnfresh referred to uniformity of neck tension and supposed benefits in accuracy.  I have never seen accuracy results with and without annealing.  Have you?  Does anyone out there have this type of data?

That info would be of great help in selling this type of gear.  Without it, I would not invest $500 or more in an annealer.  Even with the info, you'd have to justify the $500 versus simply buying additional brass.

I tried annealing cases to avoid cracking of the shoulder and necks after case forming.  It was entirely unsuccessful.  I used Tempilaq and spun the case in front of a propane flame.  The results with and without that annealing cycle were not significantly different.

P.S. - Bernzomatic kit = torch + 1 bottle at Walmart.  Cost of kit minus one replacement bottle differed by $4 , so the cost the torch was $4.  $4, $12 or even $20 really makes no difference relative to a $440 annealer cost.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Trollslayer, that was my point/question in my last post.  This is not a jab at you or anyone.  If you have data or a link in your reference to the "they" who did this testing, I'm more than eager to look at it.

If it's true or even marginally true, I'd be happy to resist buying a $400+ machine to perform a step I'd love to bypass.  Again, no snark or underlying motive in my question.

And a little off the specific topic, I didn't take AKSR's comment as snarky.  Considering why manufacturers would invest the time and money in the process is something to consider as well as your suggestion that part of their process doesn't correspond "exactly" to all of the efforts of a home reloader.

I've always found AKSR's comments to be quite civil and substantive.  I think he asked and brought up a logical point of consideration.  And no...I'm not the president of his fan club here...LOL!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#33]
Trollslayer, that was my point/question in my last post.  This is not a jab at you or anyone.  If you have data or a link in your reference to the "they" who did this testing, I'm more than eager to look at it.

If it's true or even marginally true, I'd be happy to resist buying a $400+ machine to perform a step I'd love to bypass.  Again, no snark or underlying motive in my question.

And a little off the specific topic, I didn't take AKSR's comment as snarky.  Considering why manufacturers would invest the time and money in the process is something to consider as well as your suggestion that part of their process doesn't correspond "exactly" to all of the efforts of a home reloader.

I've always found AKSR's comments to be quite civil and substantive.  I think he asked and brought up a logical point of consideration.  And no...I'm not the president of his fan club here...LOL!
View Quote
No problem.  Let me see if I can dig up these things.  The source data is not mine but the quantitative analysis of the data set is.

The desire for accuracy data versus annealing is genuine on my part.  I would love to find a way to further improve my reloads.  They are very good right now and I am the limiting factor in how well I shoot (1/2 MOA), not my reloads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#34]
Here is the source data.

One early observation is that until you get past 12 reloadings, unannealed does better than "annealed every time".  At that point all three populations have lost half their starting cases.

A sample size of 150 cases allows high confidence in the results (statistical confidence level ~95%).

It will take time for me to find the rest of this.  The old post, where this was discussed, has slipped into the archive, to which I do not have access.

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Popnfresh referred to uniformity of neck tension and supposed benefits in accuracy.  I have never seen accuracy results with and without annealing.  Have you?  Does anyone out there have this type of data?
View Quote
I don't think there is any benifit to accuracy and don't think I implied there was.

Maybe muzzle velocity variation, but I have not seen that personally.

I do notice seating depth variation issues when when getting up there in firing cycle that annealing seems to alleviate.

And as stated since annealing I have not had a split neck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:38:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#36]
I don't think there is any benifit to accuracy and don't think I implied there was.

I do notice seating depth variation issues when when getting up there in firing cycle that annealing seems to alleviate.

View Quote
I apologize for misquoting you.

When you say reduced muzzle velocity variations, I immediately think of reduced vertical dispersion (greater accuracy) during long range shooting (800+ yards).
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#37]

When you say reduced muzzle velocity variations, I immediately thought of reduced vertical dispersion (greater accuracy) during long range shooting (800+ yards).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When you say reduced muzzle velocity variations, I immediately thought of reduced vertical dispersion (greater accuracy) during long range shooting (800+ yards).
Logical conclusion.

I've personally not noticed any notable change in SDs or ESs going from 5x since anneal to just annealed.

I should have said mmaaaayyyyybe less velocity variation lol in a doubtful tone. I have seen other people claim it helps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#38]
Case life - total number of firings from all 150 cases (the area under the curve).

2,010 - annealed every time
2,009 - random anneal
1,812 - no annealing

1.  Compared to not annealing at all, annealing every time yields 11% more firings from a batch of cases.  Random annealing does just as well (+11%).

2.  By the time the annealed cases exceeds the never annealed cases (12 firings), you have lost almost 1/2 of all cases.  This means you no longer have enough cases to shoot an 88 round match.

FUTURE WORK

What I would like to see is the effect on case life of using controlled amounts of neck and case sizing (neck bushings, properly sized expander and 0.003" shoulder bump).  Standard dies really overwork the brass,... a lot.

I think if people want to sell these gizmos the gear needs to earn their place on the bench.  The sellers should show the benefits of their gear/process.  If there is no demonstrable benefit, these (like so many other gizmos) are just so much 'snake oil'.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Rather snide remark, no?

They have to do several deep, deep, deep drawing operations.  Material has strain limits due to work hardening.  What they do is VERY different than what a reloader does there's really no comparison.  Especially so if you use a bushing to limit cold working during resizing.
View Quote
Sorry TS if that came across as snide, wasn't meant to be, absolutely no intention of it being snide, simply sharing info about annealing brass...I have yet too see a top manufacturer of brass who ships their brass without a final annealing after all drawing...I doubt they would do it unless they felt it helped their product...ADG, RP, Lapua, Peterson, Bertram, Norma, the list is long....Most of the top shooters also anneal, again, I doubt they would waste their time/money on it if they didn't need to....

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#40]
Again, making brass is different than reloading.  For them, it is mandatory to get good in-process yield during deep drawing/forming.  The final step could be as simple as ensuring uniformity of product before it goes out the door and uniformity upon receipt by their customer.  I also suspect it does not cost them a lot of money for that final anneal, given they have the equipment for in-process use.

Prove it does anything beneficial to the shooter, that's all I'm asking.  The case life study (above) was surprising and disappointing to me when I first saw the results.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Again, making brass is different than reloading.  For them, it is mandatory to get good in-process yield during deep drawing/forming.  The final step could be as simple as ensuring uniformity of product before it goes out the door and uniformity upon receipt by their customer.  I also suspect it does not cost them a lot of money for that final anneal, given they have the equipment for in-process use.

Prove it does anything beneficial to the shooter, that's all I'm asking.  The case life study (above) was surprising and disappointing to me when I first saw the results.
View Quote
That's fair enough, but from a manufacturing side of things in my past..no way is a corporation doing any extra operation unless they feel it is needed...even if it only cost a penny per batch it still eats into profits and would not be done unless needed....
As for proving anything...It has been proven many times over that annealing cases changes the physical property of cases..that's beyond debate by anyone..the real question is if each persons reloading"system" is able to take advantage of  it or not..I personally have seen longer case life..going from an average of 6 loadings per case to having 11 loads and still going strong...I. also can feel more consistency on the handle in seating pressure..provable on a board..nope, but the feel on the end of that handle is there regardless...I lose less cases to split necks..3 cases in over 650 rounds fired...I've lost the same amount to earthquake....Everything we as reloaders do is to improve consistency...annealing is another of those things..do it or not, nothing I can post will change your mind, nor should it..You have said your methods produce the results you desire without annealing..thats awesome..  On the other hand, annealing as part of my system of reloading is producing the results I desire...again nothing wrong with it...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting data there, TS, thanks for posting that.  I would like to see the source of who did that test.  Just for my clarification, that's not a test you performed, is it?

I guess it's just hard to question or challenge that annealing actually yields benefits due to the normally accepted metallurgy results you see commented on so frequently.

I'm certainly no engineer, but I hate to accept things just because it's always the way it's been done.

I hope others chime in with substantive results or references to indepth tests that shed more light.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:37:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#43]
Case life - total number of firings from all 150 cases (the area under the curve).

2,010 - annealed every time
2,009 - random anneal
1,812 - no annealing

1.  Compared to not annealing at all, annealing every time yields 11% more firings from a batch of cases.  Random annealing does just as well (+11%).

2.  By the time the annealed cases exceeds the never annealed cases (12 firings), you have lost almost 1/2 of all cases.  This means you no longer have enough cases to shoot an 88 round match.

FUTURE WORK

What I would like to see is the effect on case life of using controlled amounts of neck and case sizing (neck bushings, properly sized expander and 0.003" shoulder bump).  Standard dies really overwork the brass,... a lot.

I think if people want to sell these gizmos the gear needs to earn their place on the bench.  The sellers should show the benefits of their gear/process.  If there is no demonstrable benefit, these (like so many other gizmos) are just so much 'snake oil'.
View Quote
This is very fishy data. 50% of the cases were lost to split necks by 12 firings in the annealed set?
How is it mine make is 10-12-15x firings and never any split necks?
I lose cases to case head separation.

I haven't run a controlled experiment but zero split necks is pretty noticeable.

Perhaps this guy wasn't annealing any cases.....he may have gone through the motions but wasn't actually doing anything.

If Tempilaq was used to determine anneal times I have little confidence in the results.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#44]
This is very fishy data. 50% of the cases were lost to split necks by 12 firings in the annealed set?  How is it mine make is 10-12-15x firings and never any split necks?  I lose cases to case head separation.

I haven't run a controlled experiment but zero split necks is pretty noticeable.

Perhaps this guy wasn't annealing any cases.....he may have gone through the motions but wasn't actually doing anything.  If Tempilaq was used to determine anneal times I have little confidence in the results.
View Quote
I never said the case failures were due to split necks.  The data is mute on failure mode.  It provides total, overall failure rate.  I don't think failure mode is all that important to this discussion because a failed case is failed.  Whether it was the neck, case head, case wall,... it makes no difference.

What is your issue with Temilaq?  I don't understand your point.  Is there a better way to set/control the process temperature?

How about losing brass in the grass, that's a real effect.  I'll be damned if I can bring home 100% of my brass even when shooting on a concrete pad.  Brass does not last forever.

If you can provide a better, cohesive data set comparing annealing to non-annealed cases, I'd love to see that.

I'd like to see the other things I mentioned, too - accuracy tests and carefully controlled resizing.

I remember running a piece of brass through a FL die without an expander ball and was mortified by how small the neck was made (how much cold working was being done to it).  This completely explained all case neck failures and prompted my use of bushing dies.  The other thing was the huge shoulder set back associated with setting the sizing die to touch the shell holder (the standard die instruction).
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I would like to see the source of who did that test.  Just for my clarification, that's not a test you performed, is it?  
View Quote
It is not my data.  You will have to search the archive for the old thread to find the source.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#46]

I never said the case failures were due to split necks.  The data is mute on failure mode.  It provides total, overall failure rate.  I don't think failure mode is all that important to this discussion because a failed case is failed.  Whether it was the neck, case head, case wall,... it makes no difference.

What is your issue with Temilaq?  I don't understand your point.  Is there a better way to set/control the process temperature?

How about losing brass in the grass, that's a real effect.  I'll be damned if I can bring home 100% of my brass even when shooting on a concrete pad.  Brass does not last forever.

If you can provide a better, cohesive data set comparing annealing to non-annealed cases, I'd love to see that.

I'd like to see the other things I mentioned, too - accuracy tests and carefully controlled resizing.

I remember running a piece of brass through a FL die without an expander ball and was mortified by how small the neck was made (how much cold working was being done to it).  This completely explained all case neck failures and prompted my use of bushing dies.  The other thing was the huge shoulder set back associated with setting the sizing die to touch the shell holder (the standard die instruction).
View Quote
Annealing is about preventing case loss from split necks not case head separation or dropping them in deep grass.
Losing a case to CHS or a brass scrounge or running them over is not relevant to a study on annealing as it pertains to case life.
Tempilaq

I think many people who use Tempilac in fear of over annealing are actually not doing anything to the brass at all. They go until the stuff changes state and that's it, call it good.

I tried that method and it seemed it did no good. Inconsistent seating depths remained, inconsistent seating feel reamained, one case would glow red one wouldn't. I used a metronome and timer, it didn't matter, it seemed I needed much more time than the Tempilaq suggested to anneal EVERY case. This is with Lapua brass from a given lot, not random range pickups or LC.

Perhaps the guy doing the test just followed what everyone was parroting, 1 second after the Temilaq changes and remove heat or whatever . I believe, from my observations, that some cases require more time in the heat than others. Some of the cases in the batch are never really being annealed only being exposed to XXX degrees for X seconds.

Now when I do it, the case is in until it is glowing red(in a dark room)to the shoulder dropping out of the machine. If I see more than a handful that don't glow, I increase the time and run the whole batch a second time. Over-annealing hasn't been an issue.

A rough example:
8 seconds might work for 50% of the cases but the other 50% might require 11 seconds. Going 13 seconds makes certain all are annealed and none are yet ruined.

It would be fun to setup an experiment on this(neck splits only because that is the only benefit of annealing that is obvious) but I just blew my life savings on a second house out of state, I'm done shooting for a while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Annealing is about preventing case loss from split necks not case head separation or dropping them in deep grass.
Losing a case to CHS or a brass scrounge or running them over is not relevant to a study on annealing as it pertains to case life.
Tempilaq

I think many people who use Tempilac in fear of over annealing are actually not doing anything to the brass at all. They go until the stuff changes state and that's it, call it good.

I tried that method and it seemed it did no good. Inconsistent seating depths remained, inconsistent seating feel reamained, one case would glow red one wouldn't. I used a metronome and timer, it didn't matter, it seemed I needed much more time than the Tempilaq suggested to anneal EVERY case. This is with Lapua brass from a given lot, not random range pickups or LC.

Perhaps the guy doing the test just followed what everyone was parroting, 1 second after the Temilaq changes and remove heat or whatever . I believe, from my observations, that some cases require more time in the heat than others. Some of the cases in the batch are never really being annealed only being exposed to XXX degrees for X seconds.

Now when I do it, the case is in until it is glowing red(in a dark room)to the shoulder dropping out of the machine. If I see more than a handful that don't glow, I increase the time and run the whole batch a second time. Over-annealing hasn't been an issue.

A rough example:
8 seconds might work for 50% of the cases but the other 50% might require 11 seconds. Going 13 seconds makes certain all are annealed and none are yet ruined.

It would be fun to setup an experiment on this(neck splits only because that is the only benefit of annealing that is obvious) but I just blew my life savings on a second house out of state, I'm done shooting for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tempilaq

A rough example:

I have some brand new LC brass in 223.

I’ll do the test this year compared to not annealing .
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#48]
Annealing is about preventing case loss from split necks not case head separation or dropping them in deep grass.  Losing a case to CHS or a brass scrounge or running them over is not relevant to a study on annealing as it pertains to case life.
View Quote
I agree with respect to a metallurgical study of annealing but don't agree with this assessment as it pertains to reloading.

Annealers are being offered for sale based upon extending case life.  If the brass is unusable for any reason, you still have to replace it.  You might purchase an annealer and add work to your process but may still need to replace your brass.

I am interested in your Tempilaq experience.

I tried to use annealing attempting to 'rescue' some reformed cases but the annealing had no benefit - with and without annealing yielded the same failure mode and same failure rate (IIRC, ~80%).  I did more than the minimum on time and temperature of the neck and shoulder, too.  I used the Tempilaq to ensure I did not anneal the case head and to ensure I was getting the entire neck and shoulder over the annealing temperature.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bm3:
I have some brand new LC brass in 223.

I’ll do the test this year compared to not annealing .
View Quote
That would be GREAT!

If you can, try to measure your dies or their effect on the brass during resizing.

How much does the neck get undersized and then stretched back by your expander ball?

How far back does the shoulder get pushed?

How thick are the case necks?

When in the experiment did cases get trimmed?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top