Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
been wanting a new EDC folder. today at a gun show I got to handle a Microtech Stitch. I was very impressed but I know nothing about knives in general so I didtn buy it. Asking was $390/ I carry a cheap Gerber assisted open in sort of an appendix carry clipped to my jeans. Not sure this would work with an auto. I hate having a knife clipped to my pocket. I also looked at a Zero Tolerance assisted opening, I believe it was a 0350 model. It was nice as well. I want a good quality EDC knife that will hold an edge and last many years. Prefer made in USA. $400 max but if I can get something in the $250-300 range I would be happier. I am left handed and hate the axis lock on Benchmade knives. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Microtech is a great brand but I am more aware of their otf models.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at Hogue.  I have their X5 model, it's a flipper, but also has a blade lock if you plan to carry AIWB.  Made in the USA and excellent tolerances.  I really like Microtech, but you're paying about an extra $150 for their name.  Yes, quality is excellent, but there are excellent options about $100-200 less.  Unless the Stitch just scratches your itch, head over to Blade HQ or Knifecenter.com, plug in your budget and start drooling.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at Hogue.  I have their X5 model, it's a flipper, but also has a blade lock if you plan to carry AIWB.  Made in the USA and excellent tolerances.  I really like Microtech, but you're paying about an extra $150 for their name.  Yes, quality is excellent, but there are excellent options about $100-200 less.  Unless the Stitch just scratches your itch, head over to Blade HQ or Knifecenter.com, plug in your budget and start drooling.

ROCK6
View Quote
thanks for the heads up, lots to sort thru. is the blade lock an essential with AIWB carry? I did check out the X5 but prefer something with less bling. micarta or G10 with a traditional shape and muted colors and no inserts are more what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking OP will be happy with a few of the Protech autos (not their OTF).

4" TR Tactical

4" Godfather

3.4" Rockeye
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the heads up, lots to sort thru. is the blade lock an essential with AIWB carry? I did check out the X5 but prefer something with less bling. micarta or G10 with a traditional shape and muted colors and no inserts are more what I am looking for.
View Quote
That's totally up to you.  I've never had an auto open in my pocket, but some people prefer the safeties. Assuming it's a naked carry auto for the appendix area, a safety may just be a good precaution.  Protech is another excellent company and I've recently received the larger TR-4; an excellent, svelte (despite the size) auto (with a safety).  Take a look at their Whiskers Magic design so to come out...ingenious launching method that would likely work quite well AIWB.  Fit and finish is superb on the few I own.  I'm really looking hard at their Whiskers Magic models and their collaboration Boker Auto Waiken.

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top