Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2018 12:26:31 PM EDT
Micro Roni "Stab" modified for suppressor use.

After reviewing the great information found here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/CAA-Micro-Roni-Information-/48-461325/?page=1, I was inspired to take on the task of modifying my Micro Roni Stab for suppressor use.  The pistol can be inserted and removed with the 6.5" barrel with the thread protector installed.

Fully disassembled:

Front of blast tube after modification:

Inside top - clears barrel with thread protector:

Inside top ramp cut to direct barrel down through the tube when inserting pistol:

Tube installed:

Barrel installed:

Flash hider:

Disclaimer:  This information is provided for entertainment purposes only.  Do not attempt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A little more information...

The details:

I went slow with the dremel, only using as much speed as was necessary for the cutting tool to work.
A fine sanding drum worked great on the plastic.  The two pieces of the clamshell were held together in a padded vice as I trimmed at the front. Keeping the axis of rotation of the cutting tool parallel to the centerline of the chassis gave the cleanest cuts. I had to trim the ridges inside the top, as well as the outer housing.
A carbide cutting/milling bit worked best on the aluminum blast tube.
I would trim just a little, then re-fit, repeating as necessary so as to remove the least amount of material necessary.
It took several hours of work spread over 3 days to get it right to my satisfaction.  Patience was critical to getting a good result, as well as knowing when to set the tools down and walk away for a while.

"Gotchas":

With the slide locked back on the slide stop, the barrel is not at the full upward tilted position. The slide can move back further, and does during recoil, so trimming everything with a slide-locked pistol as a guide did not give appropriate clearances and caused the barrel and suppressor piston to touch the chassis. By removing the recoil spring from the pistol, I was able watch for barrel clearance at full slide rearward extension without having to fight spring tension.

I wanted to keep the bottom half of the center cylindrical portion of the blast tube intact and flush with the front of the chassis for aesthetics.  I found that it needed to be trimmed back a little from the front edge (seen in the pictures above) or the suppressor piston or flash hider would make contact with it during barrel unlock, causing issues.

Disclaimer: This information is provided for entertainment purposes only.  Do not attempt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Much better workmanship than me .
View Quote
Perhaps, but I really like that flash hider that you have installed. I might have to get that one!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Been wanting one but like shooting suppressed. Nice work. Will the roni work with a poly 80?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been wanting one but like shooting suppressed. Nice work. Will the roni work with a poly 80?
View Quote
Thanks!  The Micro Roni locks the pistol into the chassis using the rail side cuts and the slot at the bottom of the rail, and everything is a tight fit.  I would stick with factory Glocks to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Here it is with a KAK micro slimline flash can for that "original" look.  The flash can weighs 1.8 oz., so the slide should still cycle normally with the extra weight.  It's my understanding that as long as a muzzle device weighs less than 3 - 3.5 oz the slide should cycle, but I could be mistaken.  I had to trim an additional 1mm at the top for clearance due to the wide base.

Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
To those folks who asked via email (or may ask), thank you, but no, I am not for hire and will not perform these modifications for you. Sorry!

I only do this type of work for myself for liability reasons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
To all arfcommers interested, I have come up with an easy solution to allow suppressed use of the micro Roni without having to make a modification to the micro Roni or without having to use a suppressor attached to a barrel, much like what Roni has come with but to a degree that allows the end user to make their own Form 1 cans. I'm looking to see if there's any interest in my solution as I am considering producing the adapter that mounts to the Roni muzzle and the D cell Maglite adapter. I'm figuring the price point to be at or around $85 for the adapter set. Think of it as an open source adapter to allow the end user to experiment with their form one cans in suppressing the firearm without actually having to attach a can to it. As far as addressing possible baffle strikes obviously the bore size will have to run a little larger than usual and the can would have to be a little shorter and fatter to accommodate the volume needed for suppression thus the use of the D cell Maglite adapter. So whether it be semi-auto or full auto, you would have successively suppressed the report of the firearm significantly, not as much as if it was attached directly to the barrel but at least significantly more than no suppressor at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Range Report

Finally managed to get out to the range with it. Everything functioned fine with the suppressor.

Accuracy was less than stellar at 25 yards with old Walmart Federal115gr 9mm and the flash hider attached.  6-8" groups seemed to be the norm with sudden dramatic shifts in the general point of impact . Frankly I think that there may be an issue with the batch of 115gr that I brought with me because I was having accuracy problems with my competition Glock as well, and at one point the pistol short-stroked from what appears to have been a weak powder load.

With the suppressor and new 147 grain Federal I was able to print 3 inch groups at 25 yards.  Not too shabby for these old eyes.

I would definitely relegate this to "inside 25-yard serious use", but mostly to "range fun use", which it excels at!

Also, the KAK micro flash can's aluminum threads appear to be stretching when used with the reciprocating barrel. I was able to tighten it more and more with each use, so I will not be using that with this setup anymore.

Overall I'm satisfied with the modifications and performance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top