Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2023 8:34:23 PM EDT
What are you all using as a cheap metal tank for hot bluing barrels and other gun parts?  I'll be doing this once, maybe twice, so don't want to invest in a tank made specifically for this.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
If you don't want to invest in the tools, why think you can do the job.  I want to put new injectors in my F350; should I try to do it with only a Crescent wrench?

Caution.  Leave General Discussion quality comments in GD.  AeroE

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#2]
LOL!!!! Thanks for the dumb ass response.  ETA, at least your screen name checks out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:42:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#3]
Look for a stainless steel pan that goes in a hotel "hot bar". Check restaurant supply places.  Amazon has them for $20ish each.

Should be 4" deep by ~24" long and 12-16" wide.   About 5 gallon capacity
Can't do a barreled receiver in them but can do barrels on a diagonal.  Honestly I'd find a sheet metal shop and see if they can bend you up one and then take it to get welded.  Will cost you far less than a Brownells tank and can do everything.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Look for a stainless steel pan that goes in a hotel "hot bar". Check restaurant supply places.  Amazon has them for $20ish each.

Can't do a barreled receiver in them but can do barrels on a diagonal.  Honestly I'd find a sheet metal shop and see if they can bend you up one and then take it to get welded.  Will cost you far less than a Brownells tank and can do everything.

View Quote

Those are what I use for parkerizing, and rinsing/cleaning, but stainless is no-bueno for hot bluing

"Bluing Salts in the presence of stainless steel and gun steel frequently can create 'galvanic' action (electric current flow) between the two dissimilar metals resulting in a 'false plate' of either chemicals (streaking the bluing with random iridescent blues/greens/purples) or stainless steel (giving patches of random silver specks/spots)."
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#5]
I'm thinking cheap disposable aluminum roasting or steam table pans. Found some online that are 20" long.  $37 for a 15 pack with 3" high sides. Placed on a diagonal and they will easily hold the barrel and parts I want to blue.

I like I can toss them out afterwards versus finding a place to store them.

Also found galvanized planter inserts at local nursery. About 36" long. Ends would have to be made water tight with solder and flux, but that's more work.

ETA, maybe the easiest to source would be a length of 4" unpainted galvanized or tin gutter.  Cut to length, install matching metal end caps, then crimp and solder them in place so water tight. This would be a more durable, re,-usable option particularly for really long, black powder barrels.  If you aren't up to soldering, use high temp JB weld or just line the inside with heavy duty aluminum foil.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Those are what I use for parkerizing, and rinsing/cleaning, but stainless is no-bueno for hot bluing

"Bluing Salts in the presence of stainless steel and gun steel frequently can create 'galvanic' action (electric current flow) between the two dissimilar metals resulting in a 'false plate' of either chemicals (streaking the bluing with random iridescent blues/greens/purples) or stainless steel (giving patches of random silver specks/spots)."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

This^^^
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#7]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
I'm thinking cheap disposable aluminum roasting or steam table pans. Found some online that are 20" long.  $37 for a 15 pack with 3" high sides. Placed on a diagonal and they will easily hold the barrel and parts I want to blue.

I like I can toss them out afterwards versus finding a place to store them.

Also found galvanized planter inserts at local nursery. About 36" long. Ends would have to be made water tight with solder and flux, but that's more work.

ETA, maybe the easiest to source would be a length of 4" unpainted galvanized or tin gutter.  Cut to length, install matching metal end caps, then crimp and solder them in place so water tight. This would be a more durable, re,-usable option particularly for really long, black powder barrels.  If you aren't up to soldering, use high temp JB weld or just line the inside with heavy duty aluminum foil.
View Quote

Just an FYI .....Hot bluing dissolves aluminum .......you'll want to avoid solder (hot blue a set of soldered SxS barrels and watch what happens!), and anything galvanized as well.

Mild steel ......and it needs to be welded

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#8]

Just an FYI .....Hot bluing dissolves aluminum .......you'll want to avoid solder (hot blue a set of soldered SxS barrels and watch what happens!), and anything galvanized as well.

Mild steel ......and it needs to be welded

View Quote

Well, you're no fun at all.

Looks like cold blue it is!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a sheet metal company around or know someone with a sheet metal break, have them bend you a tank from sheet steel.
It doesn't have to be fancy, just bent enough to hold the chemical.
You'll really need two, one for the cleaner and a rinse, the other for the chemical.

However, because of the problems with getting the mix right, and keeping the temperatures exactly right, plus the danger, you're better off sending it out to a pro refinisher.
Another problem is where you do it...... the fumes cause everything made of steel in the area to rust, including plumbing and electrical.

If you cold blue, I recommend trying Brownell's Dicrophan T4.  Unlike other cold blues, T4 is a BLACK color that more closely matches modern hot salts bluing.
It's also the most durable cold blue I ever tried.

To help cold bluing along, clean very thoroughly, then liberally flush with denatured or 91% alcohol in a spray bottle.
Warm and dry the metal with a hair dryer, WARM... NOT HOT.  Hot and the chemical will dry before it can work well.

Rinse with hot water, spray with alcohol again, dry and warm again and reapply.
With T4 you can do this as many times as you want and the chemical won't start beading up like the others.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Might consider rust bluing, old school, durable. Still need a tank for boiling water, but stainless is fine.

I did a thread on it here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Let-s-Rust-Blue-A-Rifle-/49-506210/
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Hot bluing is not something you get into for just one or 2 times. The cost of entry is high, the chemicals expensive, and you need multiple tanks for all the steps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I made my own tanks for rust bluing from old 2300 ford valve covers. I used 2 valve covers for each tank. I cut one end from each and welded them together.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PR361:
Might consider rust bluing, old school, durable. Still need a tank for boiling water, but stainless is fine.

View Quote

I may just do that or brown it. Project is a blunderbuss kit where 20" barrel arrives in the white.  It's a $1500 kit, so I want to do it well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#14]

I may just do that or brown it. Project is a blunderbuss kit where 20" barrel arrives in the white.  It's a $1500 kit, so I want to do it well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PR361:

Rust bluing or brown would certainly give you a period correct finish.

Laurel Mountain Browning Solution works great for either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Well, you're no fun at all.

Looks like cold blue it is!!!
View Quote

Rust blue.

Looks great, no bad chemicals, and you just need something to boil your gun in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you only need to do it a couple times..?
Why not polish it up as you with and just send it out to get blued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top