Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2023 9:30:04 AM EDT
I'm building a room in the basement to keep all my hunting related stuff.
As a believer in layered security, I have been looking for a metal door with metal frame to install but not having good luck.
I don't want or need a vault door, just something that will not get kicked in easily.
Any suggestions? Home Depot and Menards don't have what I'm looking for.

I did find this door which looks interesting but the website seems sketch.
I found the same door on Amazon for $100 more.
steel door

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat.  Ironically also in WI.  Thing is, I'm not sure if I want something that screams "hey, there's something behind this door!" or if I want to stay incognito.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
A commercial exterior fire door is what you seek. I had the same exact search.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Grainger
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.  Ironically also in WI.  Thing is, I'm not sure if I want something that screams "hey, there's something behind this door!" or if I want to stay incognito.
View Quote
Put a swinging bookshelf or bar in front of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ceco door
View Quote

Yes this is what I'm looking for. But where to purchase?
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes this is what I'm looking for. But where to purchase?
View Quote
I bought a pre-hung double steel door for a project.  I am pretty sure I found a local building supply that primarily contracts with professionals.  It has been so long that I have forgotten.  It surprised the heck out of me that my drywall guys installed that door with no up-charge.  

You could call the manufacturer and ask them for a local dealer.  Shit is going to be drop shipped most likely, so if you can cut out the middle man, that would be best.

A friend of mine is a commercial opening contractor.  That is the type of dude you need to know.  One phone call and drop shipped tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Im building a storm room and I'd like to add something like this security bar to it to make it more secure in a sotrm. The door latches are fine, but i feel like this would really hold it in place.

Anyone know if those can be added to any metal door?
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
This may help.   LaForce
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This may help.   LaForce
View Quote

I should call them and ask but a business I know just bought a door from them for $2600.
The door was exactly what I'm looking for.
Holy crap!!! I was thinking $800 tops for a metal door.

Maybe I'm out of touch with prices
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I should call them and ask but a business I know just bought a door from them for $2600.
The door was exactly what I'm looking for.
Holy crap!!! I was thinking $800 tops for a metal door.

Maybe I'm out of touch with prices
View Quote

They are expensive without question. At one point in time their warehouse had an assortment of this and that. Might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Commercial steel door is the answer. You miay have a door company in your town. Get the heavy duty hinges. Do not go cheap in the lock sets.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Just call Ceco and ask. They ship as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently installed one of these on a seldom used exterior door.  It reinforces the striker side and the hinge side.

https://doorarmor.com/

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 5 of these doors.  I forgot who made them, but they are “FEMA approved.”  

3 Medeco locks per door.

Read about it here.  

My door with the dog scratches.  ironically, none of these doors are on the exterior of the house.  I just realized that, and I find it to be odd.  Yes, I had the house built, but its complicated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I ordered one at a local lumber yard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
OST for more info.  I need one for an interior security door (room inside of a detached garage).  What's everyone paying for these?  I just want a metal door with a metal frame and they are $600-$700 from Lowes and HD.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OST for more info.  I need one for an interior security door (room inside of a detached garage).  What's everyone paying for these?  I just want a metal door with a metal frame and they are $600-$700 from Lowes and HD.  Thanks
View Quote

If you insist on the UL sticker, you'll pay that much. If you're OK with no sticker, it'll be $100-$200 less.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#19]
A commercial metal door is not as secure as you think.

The weak points are the locks and the hinges
Between a cutoff wheel a hammer a drill and a screwdriver they can be defeated in minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Between a cutoff wheel a hammer a drill and a screwdriver they can be defeated in minutes.
View Quote

So about the same level of security as your average gun safe?  

There are secure man doors out there.  Imagine doors used in jails, psychiatric hospitals, for storm shelters, and similar.  They will obviously cost more than the doors you find at a big box store, and will typically need to be sourced through a commercial door supplier that sells to the construction industry.  For those that haven't been following the last few years, the cost of everything is sky high.  Steel cost is up.  Shipping costs are up.  Labor costs are up, and that's assuming that employees can be found.  Plan on paying double today what it would have cost a few years ago.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#21]
in southern Wisconsin? I have a metal door that was made for a night club that has locking lugs all around it.
I got it on scratch and dent. I'm not going to use it

I was told it was a $2k door I got it for a little over $500

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top